Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

And here is the story on the building in The State. It's really good to see Main Street getting good news these days. Now if we only knew when the 2nd part of the streetscaping will begin...

That is good news about the company relocating its headquarters to Columbia. It is a small company, but hopefully they will grow. krazee, a linked article said the second half of the Main Street streetscaping will begin in January. I hope the rest of the streetscaping, from Elmwood to I-20 begins shortly after that.

Streetscaping

The most recent city council agenda (which was yesterday) mentions a streetscaping project for East Gervais. A public hearing was held on it. I would imagine that this is the stretch between Main and Harden and will probably tie into the Five Points masterplan.

Also, the baseball stadium and attendent developments were given a second reading.

The most recent city council agenda (which was yesterday) mentions a streetscaping project for East Gervais. A public hearing was held on it. I would imagine that this is the stretch between Main and Harden and will probably tie into the Five Points masterplan.

Also, the baseball stadium and attendent developments were given a second reading.

It's the stretch from Millwood to Trenholm.

It took the whole article before the explained that this church will be at the corner of Main and Richland. I think this is pretty cool. Its still a little too auto orient for my tastes, but it beats the hell out of that old parking lot and crappiness that is there now. They just need to narrow Main St through there now...

The folks of the Greek Orthodox Church are to be commended for this striking, impressive design, and especially their decision to KEEP THE CHURCH DOWNTOWN in the heart of the city, instead of opting for suburban flight. It may have been cheaper to do so, but the church decided it was worth it to stay put. KUDOS to them for that!! :yahoo:

Spartan, I agree--wish they would pull the building right up to the street, and move the "drop-off" area to the rear of the building, which they could access via the street that runs behind it. (I'm sure the thinking was to help the elderly worshippers get right to the front door.) But, all in all, it will be an awesome and exciting building to behold!

It would have been nice to start at Harden at least. But I'm not really too familiar with that stretch of Gervais between Millwood and Trenholm.

Harden Street will be done all the way from Five Points to Calhoun Street as part of the Five Points-Harden Street streetscaping project.

• 2 weeks later...

the old house/duplex/apartment building next to Cornell Arms, where Beezer's is, has a sign on it for "Copper Beech Townhome Communities, Now Leasing for Fall 2007" on it, and reserved spaces for the company. any info? hopefully they're no planning to demolish the building...Sammi's used to be there, and Communist Fred's record/dvd/comic book place. i miss his "impeach bush" sign in the window.

anyone have any info?

Its probably for the upper floors. I don't think they woudl kick out Beezers, and Sammi's would still be a great location for a restaurant. I used to go over there all the time. I am glad to see that they filled the Leo's Wings spot under Cornell with those 3 stores. Its a much better use of that space, IMO.

I walked the 1-mile new extension on the Cayce Riverwalk Tuesday. Wow!!! Most of it is boardwalk. At one point it crosses the Congaree Creek, I guess it's called (about the size of the Reedy River), It flows over rocks into the Congaree. Yesterday I walked the West Columbia extension from the Gervais Street bridge to Jarvis Klapman Blvd. OH MY GOD! Talk about up close and personal with those giant boulders. And talk about up close an personal with the intricacy of the network of bridges and rivers!!! It is incredible. Next summer the city is starting construction on a 3.5 mile extension to include turning the Saluda Rapids into a city park. About 8.5 miles of the 13-mile project are now complete. The West Columbia extension officially opens 11/15 according to Free Times. I walked it with a good friend. I said to him, "We live in a wonderland!" He said, "You know, we really do; well said." Check it out.

Now if Columbia could get their act together...

The state's congressmen and senators are working to tap into funds that SC has left untapped for at least a large chunk of the $87 million needed to build Centennial Park (Innovista's riverfront park). Canal Front Construction at Edventure and the Canal Side esplanade are supposed to start construction next year. The Columbia side, especially Centennial Park, will be the crowning touch to the tremendous project. In the meantime I'm enjoying what is already here.

The state's congressmen and senators are working to tap into funds that SC has left untapped for at least a large chunk of the $87 million needed to build Centennial Park (Innovista's riverfront park). Canal Front Construction at Edventure and the Canal Side esplanade are supposed to start construction next year. The Columbia side, especially Centennial Park, will be the crowning touch to the tremendous project. In the meantime I'm enjoying what is already here.

I can't wait for Centennial Park development. The blue print is breathe taking.

I didn't know they already named the future riverfront park. Why "Centennial Park" though?

Also, I was just brainstorming recently, and came up with this: do you guys think it would be feasible to move the post office off Assembly and expand Finlay Park? Just a thought I had.

Edited by krazeeboi