Sumter Mall

turlough

THE MALL

Sumter Mall is a 345,000 sq. ft. enclosed regional mall in Sumter, SC. Sumter is easily accessed via I-95 and I-20. The mall is anchored by JC Penney, Belk and Sears. The mall was built in 1979 and was extensively renovated in 2002.

THE MARKET

Sumter Mall is the only enclosed mall in its primary trade area which has a total population of over 200,000 people residing in Sumter and a portion of Clarendon County. Average age and household income in the primary market area is 34.3 years and over $45,700 respectively. Population growth in the primary trade area exceeded 10.6% over the last 10 years and is expected to continue growing at a steady rate over the next decade. Total retail sales in the primary trade area are in excess of 2.8 billion dollars. The mall is strategically located on US Highway 76 approximately 1/2 mile south of the intersections of US Highways 76, 378 & 521 and enjoys a daily traffic count in excess of 29,000 cars.

jm8pkg.jpg

jm7pkg.jpg

jm3.jpg

HALLMARK STORE

jmhallmark.jpg

ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES TO SHOP

jmradioshack2.jpg

AND ANOTHER FAVORITE PLACE TO SHOP

jmchamps.jpg

AND IF ANYBODY WANTS TO VISIT HERE'S A MAP

jm_site_plan.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know what side of the mall that the expansion take place? What was located in the anchor space that is marked available on the map?

the side that the expansion is happening on is the side where the old achor store use to be and the old store was a Dillards.

• 2 months later...

I'm bored....I looked at my map, and Sumter Mall is 18 miles from I-95. Although based on my somewhat outdated map, that would mean that it would be out in the middle of nowhere. Although I'm sure if it was placed out in the middle of nowhere sprawl would follow very quickly.

• 8 months later...

I went to school for 2 years in that city, and had to commute as well. There is NO interstate anywhere near Sumter. I-20 is back in Camden, off of US 521, and I-95 is near the edge of the county, nowhere near the city. The highway you see is US 76/378, and is interstate standard for part of the way through the city. Jessamine mall is terrible the last time I was there, although it was being renovated last time I was in the city, which was two years ago.

Jessamine is downtown. It's a smaller mall but I always liked it. Any place I can shop fast I like..speed is more important than variety. But I visit when there to work so I'd visit on the way in or out of town. There are several strip malls around and a new Walmart. I always have problems finding computer parts there.

Much of the Sumter population & economy is based around the Shaw Air Force base. I did not know the population is in decline there..but that may change if Mcentire gets folded in to Shaw. I mapped the population 2008 normalized by 2003. Most of the population in decline is from the city center to the east. The population to the west is mostly growing over the next 5 years.

Archived