The Arlington

monsoon

Mr. Gross has a bad rap for a reason.  He has shafted many of his buyers.  Look no further than Ivey's uptown and Factory South next door to you.  He tends to not stand behind his products after they're finished.  Case in point, Metropolitan Group's architects "forgot" to heat and air condition the corridors in Factory South.  It took 10 years of fighting Jim, but they finally got the building retrofitted last year.  He ruined the Lance Factory by replacing the casement windows with non-descript bronze glass.   

I don't hate the Mary Kay Kondo, but I don't by any means think it's good architecture.  There are still nearly 30 units available (last time I checked) when buildings are selling out before construction starts on many condo towers uptown.  I think that says something.  He didn't listen to market studies which told him people want decent balconies that they can use.

When I looked at The Arlington, I was amazed that I could slip around one of the support columns on the balcony and get to the unit next door.  Since balconies are common space in the condo, I could easily slide over to the neighbor's unit and have a legal right to be there.    When I questioned the agent on duty about the ease of getting access to the next door unit, she suggested I could put a plant there for privacy.  Oh, ok.  That fixes everything.  They're basically unusable as terraces.  Not even enough depth to put two chairs and a small table.

While I applaud Jim for having vision in urban living, he need to learn that reputation is important in a market like Charlotte.  I can guarantee you no bank here will loan him money to build anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow you must be like a size zero/ My 5 pound dog can't even get by the support columns and the only way I could is to go over the rail, but death could result if I made a mistake. I think Jim is doing a great job and on a personal note is a great guy. But we all have our opinions.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gross broke new ground in Charlotte development as he was building condos and creating housing downtown when almost nobody else would. I think he deserves credit for that and for standing up to the "Charlotte Establishment" who didn't put much stock in the idea at the time.

I think if he wanted to build another project, he would have no problem getting money. Citibank or Chase would love to loan money to a big project in Charlotte as long as it made economic sense. My guess is BofA and Wachovia would knock each other down to try go get his business before they would let that happen. Its all about the "green".

Mr. Gross has already approached the city about doing a condo project at the Carolina Theatre.......there are 3 people now looking at that site, and the city is considering sending at an RFP......

I've been told that the Building Permits people hate Jim Gross so much that they refused to offer the residents of one building (Ivey' I think) a permit to add a community hottub.

I've been told that the Building Permits people hate Jim Gross so much that they refused to offer the residents of one building (Ivey' I think) a permit to add a community hottub.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya know, if they are doing this then they are not doing their job and should be fired if they refuse to issue a perfectly legal permit just for those reasons. They are there to carry out city/county policy on building codes, not make decisions on what is suitable development for Charlotte, and/or carry out vendettas. I would be very unhappy taxpayer if that happened to me.

I used to stare at that building all the time at work. It really was pretty when it was time to go home. I liked the way that it seemed to change colors. One of my co-workers lives there and he seems to like it a lot.

It is an odd looking building though in an odd place though. Those balconies really bothered me. It looked like people shared and I guess now I know that you kind of do. I would hate that.

• 2 months later...

I saw a commercial for this on TV yesterday and thought of monsoon's picture...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe it or not one of the forumers here stole my photo out of that thread last week and placed in on his "im looking for babes" website using my bandwidth. :angry:

So after I put the "whammy" on that photo. LOL, he replaced it with one of Flash's photos.

Believe it or not one of the forumers here stole my photo out of that thread last week and placed in on his "im looking for babes" website using my bandwidth.    :angry: 

So after I put the "whammy" on that photo.  LOL,  he replaced it with one of Flash's photos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you ban him? lol

I have never heard anyone complain about pink outside this board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You haven't asked. I've heard plenty of people complain about it. The worst would be if you lived right next door in factory south and were bathed in an alien porcine-colored light for half the day.

Archived