Memphis' South Main photos

sleepy

Some random photos of the South Main area of Memphis, about a mile or so south of the main CBD area. Took these back in June, and don't recall having posted them here before.

Cobblestone streets

44686089.jpg

Apartments

44686121.jpg

Apartments and retail

44686118.jpg

More of the same, you get the idea

44686104.jpg

Apartments

44686097.jpg

Restaurant below apartments

44686096.jpg

Needs a little work

44686092.jpg

Here's one that got some work

31063933.jpg

Plenty of parking in the backyard

44686091.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Excellent photos. Do you have a feel for how many are currently living in the area? I see some revitalization taking place in some of the pictures. Is there a good influx of people moving in?

@ Sleepy-Great pictures. Which street is cobblestoned. I'm thinking that was Wagner behind the Spaghetti Warehouse but I'm not sure.

@ Hankster-The people moving in are from all different walks of life. The entire South Main area is so swanky. One of the more popular buildings on the trolley line is very unique when it comes to its residents (NBA player, news anchorman, & popular local business owner just to name a few). There are street signs in front of it that read,"Entrepreneur's Parking Only." Things like that really set this neighborhood apart. All of the restaurants and art galleries are bustling with activity on Friday and Saturday nights.

@ Sleepy-Great pictures. Which street is cobblestoned. I'm thinking that was Wagner behind the Spaghetti Warehouse but I'm not sure.

@ Hankster-The people moving in are from all different walks of life. The entire South Main area is so swanky. One of the more popular buildings on the trolley line is very unique when it comes to its residents (NBA player, news anchorman, & popular local business owner just to name a few). There are street signs in front of it that read,"Entrepreneur's Parking Only." Things like that really set this neighborhood apart. All of the restaurants and art galleries are bustling with activity on Friday and Saturday nights.

That sounds like a very COOL neighborhood. I think the trolley line adds so much potential to the area. I was very surprised at how frequent the trolleys came by when I visited a short while ago. Very Nice!

I agree. Excellent photos. Do you have a feel for how many are currently living in the area? I see some revitalization taking place in some of the pictures. Is there a good influx of people moving in?

According to the downtownmemphis.com there are 4,262 living on Mud Island, 5,399 in the downtown core, and 1,621 in South Main.

Presently, there is a project adjacent to South Main--the South End--which is developing 1,177 apts. and condos for 4,000 people on 30 acres:

Riverside Towers, $100 million, 350 condos

648 Riverside, $20 million, 66 condos

Carolina Lofts, $15 million, 72 condos/townhouses

Hoover Building, $10 million, 42 condos

State Place, $50 million, 202 condos

Rooftops, $5 million, 12 townhouses

City Commons, $10 million, 44 condos

City Commons Too, $4 million, 11 townhouses

City House, $12 million, 40 condos

8 West G.E. Patterson, $3.5 million, 20 condos

Art House Apartments, $30 million, 250 apartments

Nettleton, $10 million, 24 condos

456 Tennessee, $8 million, 26 condos

According to the downtownmemphis.com there are 4,262 living on Mud Island, 5,399 in the downtown core, and 1,621 in South Main.

Presently, there is a project adjacent to South Main--the South End--which is developing 1,177 apts. and condos for 4,000 people on 30 acres:

Riverside Towers, $100 million, 350 condos

648 Riverside, $20 million, 66 condos

Carolina Lofts, $15 million, 72 condos/townhouses

Hoover Building, $10 million, 42 condos

State Place, $50 million, 202 condos

Rooftops, $5 million, 12 townhouses

City Commons, $10 million, 44 condos

City Commons Too, $4 million, 11 townhouses

City House, $12 million, 40 condos

8 West G.E. Patterson, $3.5 million, 20 condos

Art House Apartments, $30 million, 250 apartments

Nettleton, $10 million, 24 condos

456 Tennessee, $8 million, 26 condos

Thanks for the list. I could tell there was a lot going on when I visited a few weeks ago. Memphis is definitely further along than Nashville right now when it comes to downtown living, and I'm pleased that both cities are seeing a large influx of new downtown residents.

Archived