Snow in NC

monsoon

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grandfather Mountain....I was there 2 years ago. I have some pics somewhere....

Anyway, awesome pics. It's interesting to see how much mountains affect the climate. LOL....I was just thinking....that's way more snow than we've gotten. It's gonna be a snow-free Christmas this year (which is a good thing, because I don't want to drive 4-5 hours in the snow tomorrow morning).

I loved the pics... Next time you should modify the image of your instrument cluster so your tach shows around 6000 RPM and the speedo is hitting around 138, and include the steering wheel in the pic with no hands on it! Drop the fuel guage down to 0 and illuminate the low fuel light. And make the clock say "25:23" or something really freaky like that. :D

Haha, anywho... the change in weather in and around the mountains reminds me of driving through an I-77 tunnel in VA... The skies were partly cloudy when we entered the tunnel, but on the other side there was a nice steady rain with very overcast skies. It is as though the mountain was blocking the storm.

Great pics, monsoon. People commented on the car, already, so I shall stick to the photos, instead :) Anyway, it is lovely to see some snow around Christmas, and there is no better place to be than the mountains of North Carolina. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics with us, monsoon.

A few years back I visited the Tennessee side of the Smoky Mountains in early April. I was staying near the Tri-Cities and woke up one morning with a dusting of snow. I decided to drive to the NC side of the Smoky's and enter the park. The further into NC I went the worse the snow got until I had to turn back. I went into the park on the TN side and it was the most beautiful picture perfect spring day, meanwhile, the NC side of the park was closed with over a foot of snow still falling fast.

• 2 years later...

Hope nobody minds if I bump this up, and in the words of emeril BAM, its done, I love these photos, there is nothing more majestic than a snowy mountain landscape, and after years of travelling up to blowing rock 3-4 times a year for family events at my gmas house, i definately know what the climate change can do. there have been many discussions in the charlotte forum about weather in charlotte, this'll show ya'll how climate changes betweent he peidmont and the mountains of NC. Sorry these are wicked old photos posted in 03 by metro

What a dynamic and ever changing state NC is, I'm proud to call it home

Mt. Mitchell is still getting lows of 31 at night, and it's May. A big storm could give it some snow, which is generally unheard of in the Southeast after February.

We got really lucky on mountains when they drew the borders. :)

Mt. Mitchell is still getting lows of 31 at night, and it's May. A big storm could give it some snow, which is generally unheard of in the Southeast after February.

We got really lucky on mountains when they drew the borders. :)

Mt. Mitchell has actually recorded snow in every month of the year. Yes, even August as hard is that is to believe. You definately have to give it up for NC having some dynamic weather ! :)

A2

If I remember correctly, Mt. Mitchell received a 22-inch snowfall on May 7th of '92. Mt. Pisgah did even better with a whopping 57-inches that day.

Having lived in the Boone area for 12 years, plus having family in the area I have been in and out of those hills all my life; I can attest to the rapidly changing weather conditions of the area and the sudden changes as you climb or descend the mountain to the "flatlands." Winter is my favorite season!

:D

GREAT pics - I lived in the Boone area for 12 years, and I miss a lot of things about the area. From Boone down to about Waynesville I know very well, and went through several memorable winters there. The 1st week of May 1989, I remember 4-5 inches of snow falling in Boone; in 12 years there were only 4 months in which I never saw it snow. The 1993 blizzard was completely surreal, with drifts up to the 2nd floors of houses. With most winter storms, you'd usually see wide variations in accumulation, dependent on whether you were on the east/west sides (upslope or downslope relative to windflow) of a ridge.

Avery County - Banner Elk, Linville, Beech Mtn, Sugar Mtn, Elk Park, Newland, Crossnore - is the highest in the state; I believe the avg elevations are around, or a little over 4000 ft, which is higher than Boone even.

There's not just more snow there - there's more weather of all kinds; when the weather was warm we'd see spectacular thunderstorms, very quick-developing and quick-moving even when it was very dry elsewhere in the state.

Were those pics taken on US 321? When I lived up there that was my preferred route down to Charlotte - more traffic and some ugly development around Hickory-Lenoir, but a better view of the mountains than the I-77/US 421 option, which was more rural, but less dramatically scenic as you approach the Blue Ridge.

The photos headed into the mountains were taken from 421. The photo on the way back out of the mountain where the snow is gone was taken in Marion, NC. as I came back on 221. Now that I-77 is 70mph north of I-40 and 421 is 65 mph, 321 is not competive at all so I almost never take 321 to Boone anymore.

There are some more snow photos of this area in this thread.

Archived