Minor league baseball in Tallahassee?

psycuda

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in contact with the President of the Atlantic Coast League a few months ago, but have not heard from him since. Ideally, I'd like a team in the affiliated South Atlantic League, but I'd take what I can get for now. I may need to start really pushing this thing. Thanks to all who have been writing to the county commission. Hopefully we'll one day hear the crack of the bats here in Tally.

A piece on the new Albany baseball team, the South Georgia Peanuts. I found the most interesting part to be the part the attendance of their arena football league team would bear on the success of this team.

"I think the success of the Wildcats is only going to help professional sports in this area,"

Peanuts Ready to Play Ball!

Nothing recently from the Atlantic Coast League. E-mailed Jamie Toole, the head of the South Coast League and here is what I received:

Mark -

Thanks for your email and interest in the South Coast League. We are tremendously interested in Tallahassee as a potential expansion club for the South Coast League. We have spoken with City officials over the last year and a half and look forward to providing the city and county with an update of the progress of the South Coast League in the coming months. Thanks again for your interest in the South Coast League.

Jamie

Their inaugural season begins in a few days. They have 6 teams: 2 in South Carolina, 2 in Southwest Fla and 2 in Georgia (Macon and Albany). We would be a perfect fit.

Website is: http://www.southcoastleague.com/

• 5 weeks later...

Frankly I can't see any professional sports lasting long in Tallahassee. Tallahassee's track record with pro sports teams is abysmal. The Tigersharks flew the coop to Georgia. The Thunder didn't last. What was the indoor soccer league team's name? And I honestly think the Titans may not be back next season. If they do, I can't see them staying after the second season. So a minor league baseball team might work for one season, maybe two but probably not more than that. I hate to be a pessimist but FSU has a stranglehold on sports in this town with FAMU adding to the mix.

I'd highly support redeveloping the current fairgrounds...here's a concept of my concept for the Fairgrounds:

tally1.jpg

The speedway I used was Myrtle Beach Speedway, while the ballpark was Jackie Robinson Stadium in Daytona Beach. Add parking lots as you see fit. :)

Maybe a speedway could be put down next to the Publix at Capital Circle and Crawfordville Hwy...that would allow a larger track, and if we built a 3/4 to 7/8-mile track (think Richmond or Iowa Speedway) we could possibly attract an Indy Racing League race.

• 4 months later...

Archived