Minor league baseball in Tallahassee?

psycuda

Are there any current fields that could have stands built up around them, such as at Tom Brown?

My concern about building first is that you could wind up like St. Pete -- holding a field built on the cheap with no team for several years that is used primarily as leverage by existing teams that threaten to relocate. Then, even if you do eventually get a team, no one likes the field because it was built based on hope rather than reality.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up playing baseball in Tally (the last 15 years or so) and have a few observations.

One, Capital Stadium could not be used as a baseball field-- the dimensions of the field are not right for baseball.

Two, I do not think building up around a current field is a great idea, unless the location of the current field is good. The expense in building a field comes from the stadium, drainage, and upkeep.

Three, building a 2000 seat stadium, as suggested above (leaving room for possible expansion) is a great idea. The field would have tons of uses including attracting a minor league team who would pay to use the stadium, offsetting some of the construction expenses, high school baseball games, state championships, and other youth games.

I really think the community would bennefit from a stadium like this being built. DeVoe Moore (if he is still interested) would make this much more feasable at the moment than the PAC (don't get me wrong, I would love to have both).

I grew up playing baseball in Tally (the last 15 years or so) and have a few observations.

One, Capital Stadium could not be used as a baseball field-- the dimensions of the field are not right for baseball.

Two, I do not think building up around a current field is a great idea, unless the location of the current field is good. The expense in building a field comes from the stadium, drainage, and upkeep.

Three, building a 2000 seat stadium, as suggested above (leaving room for possible expansion) is a great idea. The field would have tons of uses including attracting a minor league team who would pay to use the stadium, offsetting some of the construction expenses, high school baseball games, state championships, and other youth games.

I really think the community would bennefit from a stadium like this being built. DeVoe Moore (if he is still interested) would make this much more feasable at the moment than the PAC (don't get me wrong, I would love to have both).

I really think something needs to happen. But like I have said I am not sure how good it would do here. But you will never know if it doesnt come. If Albany can have a independent league team why cant Tally. We just need to have a stadium built for it. I really think if it was a multi-purpose stadium for other team, ie. high school, Jr College. I think that would be the ticket.

• 1 month later...

I think if Tally or Leon Cty would build a nice 2000 to 3000 seat stadium that could be expanded in the future would work. The stadium could be used for Jr College Tourneys or High School Tourneys. I am not sure who should foot the bill for the stadium. I would just like to see it built. We are never going to get a team in here with out a stadium. Look at the South Coast league that is now in Albany. They only went to towns that already had a stadium built and ready for use.

I think if Tally or Leon Cty would build a nice 2000 to 3000 seat stadium that could be expanded in the future would work. The stadium could be used for Jr College Tourneys or High School Tourneys. I am not sure who should foot the bill for the stadium. I would just like to see it built. We are never going to get a team in here with out a stadium. Look at the South Coast league that is now in Albany. They only went to towns that already had a stadium built and ready for use.

I would like to see a stadium too, but really who would it be marketed to besides the minor league baseball team? I know you said something about high school and Jr. college tournaments but I think schools take pride playing on their own fields. We no doubt do need a stadium, but the main concern I am really getting at is if T-town will support a minor league team. You see what's going on with the Titans. Not to mention this is also baseball. I know somebody mentioned this before, but if it isn't a certain school with the colors of garnet and gold no one cares. We care though..........

Tallahassee is capable of supporting a minor league team. And what's going on with the Titans is not that the community doesn't support them, but that ownership has made mistakes, media coverage isn't adequate, and people aren't fully informed. Nothing good happens over night, its going to take time to build the support systems, but I could see a small 2000-3000 minor league field working. My only hang-up is how much of a priority is this. I've never really thought of my hometown as a Baseball city.

I would like to see a stadium too, but really who would it be marketed to besides the minor league baseball team? I know you said something about high school and Jr. college tournaments but I think schools take pride playing on their own fields. We no doubt do need a stadium, but the main concern I am really getting at is if T-town will support a minor league team. You see what's going on with the Titans. Not to mention this is also baseball. I know somebody mentioned this before, but if it isn't a certain school with the colors of garnet and gold no one cares. We care though..........

I sent this to Mr. Desloge on the Couty Commission. Think I should send it to the other? I don't think it will have an impact but I wanted to do it nonetheless....

Comissioner Desloge:

As the city and county continue their efforts to help revitalize downtown Tallahassee there appears to be one thing missing that many cities our size have, a downtown minor league baseball stadium. I know a few years ago there was some movement to rebuild Centennial Field but that did not pan out. Is there any interest in pursuing the same at this time? I note that cities such as Pensacola, FL and Montgomery, AL have been able to constuct such facilities and attract a minor league baseball team. While there are other priorities, a stadium would surely make our downtown a destination area, and have a larger impact economically than other facilites, such as the IMAX.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Good for you Monti for taking the time to direct your thoughts to "The Man." It could not hurt to send your letter to the entire County Commission and also to the City Commission as well. Just look on both the City and County web pages for the email addresses of each of these commissioners and then just cut and paste. Out of 12 letters sent, I bet you'll get at least 2 responses. I find that Debbie L. always tends to respond to me. If I send a letter that hits a "nerve" w/Silly Ole Bob R. or Thaell, they'll respond back to me also.

Good Luck.

I emailed the rest of the County Commissioners and plan to hit up the city commissioners and the Mayor later today.

I also have to report I got two replies from Commissioner Thaell and Commissioner Rackleff. Commissioner Thaell noted that he was a fan of baseball and would love to see a stadium in the downtown and asked if I knew of any other location aside from Cascade Park.

Commissioner Rackleff noted the failure of the Centennial Park plan and also the DeVoe Moore one 9-10 years ago. He noted that any facility would have to be suitable for tournament play and other community events.

So fellow UP'ers, is there any other suitable land downtown? What about the land across from the Civic Center? A stadium would surely add to the Gaines Street plan and definetly make it a destination area. Or how about demolish one of the unused (in time) state office buildings that and build on that site? How about somewhere on Apalachee? Discuss.

Also, does anyone have links to a 2-3k community filed suitable for a Class A team? I'd like to follow up with those who replied to me.

Thanks!

I emailed the rest of the County Commissioners and plan to hit up the city commissioners and the Mayor later today.

I also have to report I got two replies from Commissioner Thaell and Commissioner Rackleff. Commissioner Thaell noted that he was a fan of baseball and would love to see a stadium in the downtown and asked if I knew of any other location aside from Cascade Park.

Commissioner Rackleff noted the failure of the Centennial Park plan and also the DeVoe Moore one 9-10 years ago. He noted that any facility would have to be suitable for tournament play and other community events.

So fellow UP'ers, is there any other suitable land downtown? What about the land across from the Civic Center? A stadium would surely add to the Gaines Street plan and definetly make it a destination area. Or how about demolish one of the unused (in time) state office buildings that and build on that site? How about somewhere on Apalachee? Discuss.

Also, does anyone have links to a 2-3k community filed suitable for a Class A team? I'd like to follow up with those who replied to me.

Thanks for your efforts on the e-mail campaign, Monty! What about the County using the fairgrounds property for this project when they move to the new Cap Circle SE site? It's next to Gene Cox Stadium, which could also be spruced up, and we could end up with a really nice sports facility. Parking wouldn't be a problem at this site either like it would be if it was built right in the downtown core.

Thanks!

Monty, I posted this link in another thread a while back:

http://www.propensacola.com/concept-pensacola.asp

I was told that the stadium seating would be about that size, and I know that laney would love the waterfront view :thumbsup:

In any event, whether it is the fairgrounds (which would be nice) or another site, I would still love to see this type of concept brought to fruition but perhaps with a few other surrounding fields to support tournament play, etc.(i.e., develop it as a PUD with some mixed-use, a conference center, a Tallahassee sports museum, and maybe some FSU/FAMU satellite classrooms (for classes in majors related to sports management, event planning, etc.).

Monty, I posted this link in another thread a while back:

http://www.propensacola.com/concept-pensacola.asp

I was told that the stadium seating would be about that size, and I know that laney would love the waterfront view :thumbsup:

In any event, whether it is the fairgrounds (which would be nice) or another site, I would still love to see this type of concept brought to fruition but perhaps with a few other surrounding fields to support tournament play, etc.(i.e., develop it as a PUD with some mixed-use, a conference center, a Tallahassee sports museum, and maybe some FSU/FAMU satellite classrooms (for classes in majors related to sports management, event planning, etc.).

The stadium in P'Cola looks nice.

As for a stadium here, I would much rather see one DOWNTOWN than out at the fairgrounds. Having a stadium downtown would bring a lot more "life" to the city than one at the fairgrounds. You could add a few small sports bars (if anyone has been to Wrigly in Chicago, I am thinking of Murphys) around near the stadium and bring a lot of foot traffic to the area. I think it would be a good way to bring people downtown at night and on the weekends. Seems to go along with the whole revitalization theme.

Archived