Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I know where you are talking about. It is cheap to throw up a sign to guage interest in a piece of property. I don't remember exactly what the rendering depicts, but the property is big enough for a quadraplex of something slightly larger. Parking will be the biggest issue there.

They have proposed two buildings on that site. They had 8 proposed units ranging in footage from 1675 to 2175 and priced at $439,900 to $599,900. $262/foot - $275/foot.

They did a bunch of hoopla, even a dougie article, but none sold -- they were a bit pricey at the time, more than Latta units per foot.

The changed the plans, changed agents, and put up a new sign. Still no sales or reservations that I know of and they are not on the MLS that i can find...

It sure does not have much going for it. Convenience to shopping is nice but I don't think many people want to live in HT's backyard when they can find something just as nice and less congested somewhere else in Dilworth. Also, Kenilworth is a major pain during rush hour on weekdays. I get nothing when I go to thekenilworth.com, never a good sign.

They really need to acquire 1 or 2 more adjacent houses and do a larger project.....it just seems kind of dinky the way it is proposed now.

Eventually, I'd like that whole side of Kenilworth to be built up with 2-3 story multi-family buildings....it will happen in time.

It sure does not have much going for it. Convenience to shopping is nice but I don't think many people want to live in HT's backyard when they can find something just as nice and less congested somewhere else in Dilworth. Also, Kenilworth is a major pain during rush hour on weekdays. I get nothing when I go to thekenilworth.com, never a good sign.

They also keep wanting to do higher-end units at higher end pricing. It might make more sense in a spot like that to do something a bit more affordable. It is a great location considering Dilworth, the park, shopping, etc., just not a great location for expensive homes or condos.

• 3 weeks later...

The Kenilworth rendering sign is gone and its up for sale with a new agent again :blink: Also, I noticed during one of my runs this week that Quiznos is going into the old Maggie Moos spot -_- Not my first choice but at least it will breathe more life into that block. Now we need someone to fill in the Palazzo vacancy.

The Kenilworth rendering sign is gone and its up for sale with a new agent again :blink: Also, I noticed during one of my runs this week that Quiznos is going into the old Maggie Moos spot -_- Not my first choice but at least it will breathe more life into that block. Now we need someone to fill in the Palazzo vacancy.

The site is up for sale or The Kenilworth condos are back for sale w/ a new agent?

From what I see, there is simply a "For Sale" sign with no mention of the Kenilworth. I think the whole idea has been scrapped. Speaking of Maggie Moos ( may she rest in peace) :P We really need an Ice Cream place in Dilworth! I am still depressed that Luisa decided against reopening the Dolce's gelateria. I guess there was not enough business to justify taking up additional restaurant space :( There are so many kids of all ages in Dilworth! I want an ice cream store :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from running down East and noticed a sign in the old Palazzo space at Latta Pav. We are getting a SuperSuppers! A great idea for that location, I think. I am an expert at eating out or ordering in. Maybe this will help me to get into the kitchen :)

Sweet! I got jealous of South Charlotte, where I used to live. The Super Suppers opening there coincided with the week that I moved uptown. Didn't even get to take advantage of it once before I moved.

According to their site we should see an opening sometime in October. After reading more about SS they seemed to geared towards stressed out Soccer Moms with big annoying families :lol: I am a family of one. I don't want to go in there and cook alone :cry: I will have to bring some friends who pick on me for not knowing how to cook and show off :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it is nice to see some action here. I just wish we could get something done about the Epicurean! :( I am not sure I will ever see anything get built there due to the owner's unwillingness to work out another design with the city and Dilworth.

A2

They've applied for the permits for the two residential buildings, but failed the first round.....I'm sure they will reapply soon, seeing as they are already spening the money to move the dirt around.

Just curious....Why do you think that they would "fail" on the first round? Is that something that happens a lot? The only reason I ask is because the planned development seems to "fit" in the neighborhood. It is residential, dense, but not overbearing. Does the failure on the permits relate to other issues a developer might run into (ie Plumming, or Electrical), during the permiting process through the city?

(Please excuse my ignorance :huh: on this since I am not in the Industry. I just thought it would have been approved, that's all)

It's pretty typical to fail the first round when applying for building permits. It usually is lots of minor things. (i.e. forgetting to include bike rack in urban zoning districts, not showing electrical current total on fuse boxes, not insulating fire/sprinler system pipes)

I wouldn't worry much, as long as the developer keeps resubmitting, its a positive sign that things are going forward.....for example, Furman has so far failed 3 reviews for The Row part of Quarterside, but I don't doubt for a second that it will get built.

Just curious....Why do you think that they would "fail" on the first round? Is that something that happens a lot? The only reason I ask is because the planned development seems to "fit" in the neighborhood. It is residential, dense, but not overbearing. Does the failure on the permits relate to other issues a developer might run into (ie Plumming, or Electrical), during the permiting process through the city?

Imagine how large a set of blueprints is a for a single house. A bound multi-page document that is supposed to outline everything in the construction of the home from the layout to the electric to the location of the water heater to the roof truss system....you get the picture.

Now imagine a multi-floor multi-unit project. They wheel the blueprints around on carts. If they want one or two changes, and almost all the time they do, you "fail". A better more true term would be the modification period -- the architects and developer and the city pass the plans back and forth and modify. One of the main reasons for this is you can't get a solid answer from the department about whether something will pass until it is actually submitted. This doesn't indicate anything is "wrong", just that it is going through the process and the first set of plans had to have something changed.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard anything about plans for the site where the old apartment building along East burned last year? Across from the Greek Orthodox Church. It's been awhile. You would think condos or office space would be going in there by now. On second thought, given the Epicurean lot's longevity, it has not been very long at all.

Edited by voyager12

• 1 month later...

One project that has gotten zero coverage on UP outside of the original announcement is the conversion of Latta Pavilion's apartments to the condos ( http://www.1315east.com ). I was rooting for those as I was hoping it would improve the demographics for the retailerst that struggle on the street level. But also, it would have given Grubb some cash to hopefully increase his investment speed on Elizabeth Ave. Does anyone know what is going on with this?

Also, on Sunday, I was driving on Kenilworth and noticed a huge crane lifting up a steel aparatus to the top of one of the buildings . My theory was that they were putting a rooftop structure ontop of Picassos to expand that bar/restaurant. Can anyone confirm that?