Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Turns out the whole Garland median/widening issue still isn't over yet. The AHTD still doesn't like Fayetteville wanting to push the median so close to the North/Garland intersection. While I'm certainly a fan of the median I do have to say that pushing it that close to the intersection seems a bit much. Having it extend down to Mt Comfort Rd and then leaving the section between there and the intersection open seems a better idea to me. The AHTD is saying the city is pushing the median so far south it would limit the amount of southbound cars trying to make a left hand turn onto North St. So now seems like the city has finally agreed on ending the median at Mt Comfort Rd. But now they have to resubmit the plans to the state again. Also sounds like they'll be moving that crosswalk near Mt Comfort Rd north to Holly.

Seems like having a median between Oak Plaza and Harp's would hurt access to the busineses in that area. The city should be trying to help businesses succeed and not hurting them. All we need is another shopping area becoming a series of vacant buildings.

That little area around Harps & Oak Plaza is one of my least favorite driving wise. Too many curb cuts, too many cars making turns, pedestrians everywhere, stopped buses, people driving diagonally through the parking lots, etc...I don't know if a median will improve or worsen the situation. That gas station closing down actually helped a bit.

Edited by aerotive

Yeah it's also odd because of how Mt Comfort intersects with that area as well. As I've said before I am a fan of the median idea, but I do wonder if it needs to be pushed that close to North St. But it does sound like the city is trying to compromise with the AHTD. Hopefully this time they'll actually finalize the deal this time.

That can be a bad area to drive. One idea would be to close off that short section of Mt. Comfort that cuts off North St. and goes between Oak Plaza and Mr Burger. Drivers could use Lindel to access Mr. Burger, Elenita's and Oak Plaza from North Street. Oakland would still have access to North with a reconfigure intersection.

Then they could create entrances for Oak Plaza and Harp's directly across from each other with a light controlling taffic for the crosswalk. Having one easy access primary entrance to Oak Plaza from Garland would help matters a lot. The Mt Comfort intersection on the west side of Garland would move further north with the median starting there.

• 1 month later...

The Bella Vista bypass got a pittance of the $145 million that was requested from the federal stimulus program. The project received $10 million but even that has to be split with Missouri. Considering that the state has only $15 million to spend on it over the next three years the funding sources found come nowhere near the $292 million needed to build the Arkansas portion of the bypass. There is still talk of some sort of federal loan that is confusing as can be- evidently in order to apply for the loan the project has to give up receiving the $10 million grant. Makes no sense at all...

One interesting aspect of the project is that the Western Arkansas Regional Intermodal Transportation Authority out of Fort Smith has thrown it's support behind the Bella Vista project. The reasoning is that, as part of the I49 overall project, the construction of the bypass would make it easier to to get funding for the I49 section from I40 south to Lousiana. That is truely a regional approach and good for them.

The Bella Vista bypass got a pittance of the $145 million that was requested from the federal stimulus program. The project received $10 million but even that has to be split with Missouri. Considering that the state has only $15 million to spend on it over the next three years the funding sources found come nowhere near the $292 million needed to build the Arkansas portion of the bypass. There is still talk of some sort of federal loan that is confusing as can be- evidently in order to apply for the loan the project has to give up receiving the $10 million grant. Makes no sense at all...

One interesting aspect of the project is that the Western Arkansas Regional Intermodal Transportation Authority out of Fort Smith has thrown it's support behind the Bella Vista project. The reasoning is that, as part of the I49 overall project, the construction of the bypass would make it easier to to get funding for the I49 section from I40 south to Louisiana. That is truly a regional approach and good for them.

Yes this whole thing has gotten to be a big complicated mess. I've been having a hard time figuring out all the details as well. Even our officials basically get the info then they have to decipher what it all means. So sometimes you get the news but don't really understand it days or possibly even weeks later. It is good to seeing this become much more of a regional push. It does make sense for everyone on the potential I-49 corridor to support this. But still it's nice to see.

The news about Dickson Street being closed for underground utility work got me to thinking about a problem that Fayetteville and all cities have when it comes to that type work. Less than 10 years ago North College received a new overlay of asphalt from the Evelyn Hills area all the way to the Springdale city limits. Within a year the city had made cuts into the new surface and starting creating the rough spots and potholes when doing work. The section of road just north of Township became a washboard and dangerous because of it. Several other areas have become the same way. Just last year the city overlaid Old Wire Road from Mission to 265 and within weeks it had rough spots from cuts- the same with Old Missouri Road just recently.

An indivdual or company could make millions if they would come up with good, easy way to patch cuts made for utility work. It's just a shame to see new asphalt damaged so soon after it has been paid for and put down- kind of defeats the purpose.

The news about Dickson Street being closed for underground utility work got me to thinking about a problem that Fayetteville and all cities have when it comes to that type work. Less than 10 years ago North College received a new overlay of asphalt from the Evelyn Hills area all the way to the Springdale city limits. Within a year the city had made cuts into the new surface and starting creating the rough spots and potholes when doing work. The section of road just north of Township became a washboard and dangerous because of it. Several other areas have become the same way. Just last year the city overlaid Old Wire Road from Mission to 265 and within weeks it had rough spots from cuts- the same with Old Missouri Road just recently.

An individual or company could make millions if they would come up with good, easy way to patch cuts made for utility work. It's just a shame to see new asphalt damaged so soon after it has been paid for and put down- kind of defeats the purpose.

I agree, it would be great if some sort of alternative could be found. I've also always wondered if these 'patch jobs' are being done with the best quality in mind. You'll see some patch work that isn't too bad but some others that are just plain horrible. I don't know if it's one of those lowest bid type of things or what. Of course even the best patch jobs is still just that a patch. Anytime you cut into the asphalt like that you're making it much more vulnerable to the elements. I prefer concrete to asphalt. I think it tends to also work better as a patch as long as it's not being patched back up with asphalt. But I'm pretty sure concrete is more expensive and then you also have to allow time to properly dry and such. So then it's also more time consuming than asphalt. So it has it's disadvantages as well.

I didn't see it listed on the city's website. But KNWA mentioned something about work starting on Monday for the I-540/Weddington interchange. Anyone have any ideas what will be happening there? Maybe KNWA will have more details on this afternoon's news.

I didn't see it listed on the city's website. But KNWA mentioned something about work starting on Monday for the I-540/Weddington interchange. Anyone have any ideas what will be happening there? Maybe KNWA will have more details on this afternoon's news.

Just to update what I mentioned earlier. KNWA said something about them working on turning lanes at the Weddington/I-540 interchange.

A little more info on the I-540 work being done. They'll be working on four interchanges on I-540. I've already mentioned Weddington. They're also going to work on the Hwy 112 interchange in Fayetteville along with Exits 78 and 88 up in Benton County. They'll be working on the turning lanes getting onto I-540 and also the widening the on and off ramps. They're scheduled to be completed by this October.

A little more info on the I-540 work being done. They'll be working on four interchanges on I-540. I've already mentioned Weddington. They're also going to work on the Hwy 112 interchange in Fayetteville along with Exits 78 and 88 up in Benton County. They'll be working on the turning lanes getting onto I-540 and also the widening the on and off ramps. They're scheduled to be completed by this October.

Yeah, this is part of the the stimulus package money making it's way back to NWA. Hopefully these improvements are just a bandaid and the improvements called for in the long range study of I540 will occur in the future.

Does anybody know if the plans for Garland Ave were ever totally finalized? I noticed some work on Garland Ave near North St. Was wondering if they're getting around to working on widening Garland. Don't recall seeing anything on the city's website.

Does anybody know if the plans for Garland Ave were ever totally finalized? I noticed some work on Garland Ave near North St. Was wondering if they're getting around to working on widening Garland. Don't recall seeing anything on the city's website.

Several times I thought the whole widening of Garland and the median were finished. But several times there had been problems finalizing the whole thing. The last I had heard a while back ago was the AHTD still didn't think the median should extend so far southward towards the North St intersection. Maybe the city finally gave in? Anyway looks like AHTD has started doing some work around the Garland/North intersection, stripping off the top layer of asphalt on Garland.

On another matter looks like Dickson St might be losing some of it's brickwork. Sounds like the city is planning on removing the section of brick on Dickson St near Block Ave and replace it with concrete with a faux brick design. They said the brickwork was a problem. I never really noticed any problems there. Just at some of the crosswalks further west. Especially that one near the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. I always thought they didn't put that one crosswalk in correctly. I think the slope gave it problems at the very beginning. But I don't recall any problems with the brick at Block Ave. First we lost the median there now we're losing the brick. Although at least they aren't just going to go in and put down asphalt. But now it seems like a waste doing all that work just to eventually get rid of it.

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about the Garland project in a while. I hope they can work it out before the state says forget and spends the money elsewhere. Of course, that would make the anti-growth crowd happy.

I noticed some of the brick crosswalks on Dickson breaking down within a few months of installation. I think that street has too much traffic for brick in the road- I could see the brick working on Blcok Street though. I hoped they would put more brick in the sidewalks myself. All brick sidewalks really look good IMO. too bad they cost so much.

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about the Garland project in a while. I hope they can work it out before the state says forget and spends the money elsewhere. Of course, that would make the anti-growth crowd happy.

I noticed some of the brick crosswalks on Dickson breaking down within a few months of installation. I think that street has too much traffic for brick in the road- I could see the brick working on Block Street though. I hoped they would put more brick in the sidewalks myself. All brick sidewalks really look good IMO. too bad they cost so much.

Yeah I have to wonder if the brick crosswalks simply weren't installed properly. I'm not sure if it's the traffic load, but maybe the terrain that's also causing problems. I've seen some brick streets in other cities that appeared to hold up pretty well to high levels of traffic. The biggest difference is that in most cases it's on flatter level ground. I do like the brick sidewalk idea.

• 1 month later...

Been some more talk of extending Van Asche westward to Garland Ave. I think all the issues with the land between Johnson and Fayetteville have been resolved. The project is expected to cost $5.2 Mil. But $2 Mil of federal money could be available for the project. But the catch is that the federal money probably won't be available for a couple of years. So we either wait or find another way to come up with the $2 Mil. I also heard mention for the first time of a trail being put in on the south side of the street. I'm assuming it could be put in around the same time the street is extended. I haven't seen any official plans or layouts. But I'm guessing they would connect that trail eastward to the Scull Creek Trail close to Steele Ave.

Been some more talk of extending Van Asche westward to Garland Ave. I think all the issues with the land between Johnson and Fayetteville have been resolved. The project is expected to cost $5.2 Mil. But $2 Mil of federal money could be available for the project. But the catch is that the federal money probably won't be available for a couple of years. So we either wait or find another way to come up with the $2 Mil. I also heard mention for the first time of a trail being put in on the south side of the street. I'm assuming it could be put in around the same time the street is extended. I haven't seen any official plans or layouts. But I'm guessing they would connect that trail eastward to the Scull Creek Trail close to Steele Ave.

I would think that any project waiting on federal money will not be built any time soon- as in many years from now. If it hasn't already been funded through the Recovery program there won't be much money to go around for quite a while. The City will need to reprioritize what road projects will be funded and assume they will be paying for the whole thing themselves.

I would think that any project waiting on federal money will not be built any time soon- as in many years from now. If it hasn't already been funded through the Recovery program there won't be much money to go around for quite a while. The City will need to reprioritize what road projects will be funded and assume they will be paying for the whole thing themselves.

True, for that matter it could end up being two years the other way for the city to eventually come up with the extra cash themselves. Either way I'm not sure construction on this is going to happen very soon. But I do think the city sees this as an important link to try to help parts of 'Uptown' become a little more accessible. Although I think eventually the biggest link would be them building a road directly to I-540 and put in an interchange.

Well the state still is going to try to get funding to help build the Bella Vista bypass. But has now said it will go about it in two different ways. Even as a toll road the state still needs around $135 Mil and the AHTD has an application in for some federal funding. But if it can't get the amount needed they will then try to proceed in building a two lane bypass instead. They'll still need $80 Mil for that scenario. Not sure if the road would still be a toll road or not. When I first heard the idea of a two lane bypass I can't say I was impressed. But I suppose it's better than doing nothing. The state does already have the land and at some point could expand the bypass to the intended four lanes. So a two lane bypass would provide some traffic relief. t might be better than waiting hoping eventually they can get the federal funding needed to build the whole project. As long as the AHTD doesn't move on to other projects and forget the Bella Vista bypass if they do succeed with a two lane project.

Sounds like Block Ave will be closed next week while they make improvements. To access businesses along Block you're supposed to use Meadow St.

I was also curious to see what others thought of the idea of the Bella Vista bypass being a two lane road. Any thoughts?