Asheville's Newest: The M Grande Resort and Spa

archiham04

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First reaction: What the...?

For those of you wondering what the name "The M Grande" means, but don't want to click on the link, well... the building looks like a giant distorted "M".

Bold? yes. Strange? Absolutely. I dunno about this. Hopefully this place isn't visible from anywhere else so it won't really matter.

if this is nestled in a valley it will be very cool. if it's on a mountain top...then i would give it th nay-no. it is a fun design, i can't wait to load up the space pod and beam over to the m grande.

I don't know a lot of details, but I hear it will be elevated... "on a saddle" is how it was described. NC ridgetop laws will probably prohibit it from imposing on the ridgeline like the one on Sugar.

By the way, this project is FOR REAL. The developer has hired a contractor and is negotiating with local design firms. "...meet George Jetson..." :whistling:

To the best of my knowledge, ridgetop laws only apply above 4500 feet. Below that, anything's game.

This is being built by a Myrtle Beach company. According to this article it will be on a mountain. Words cannot describe how out of place this will look on top of a mountain for all to see. Unlike Myrtle Beach, Asheville is not (and never has been) about showy vegas strip-sytle glitz. Asheville is about classiness and nature. Put this resort in a valley or an unobtrusive hillside and I have no problem with it; the design is strange but it is kind of fun. It sort of seems to evoke mountains.

But then, stick it on top of a mountain- and it will ruin the view for miles around, as if to say "Screw you nature, screw you locals, I don't give a crap about you because I'm better than you!" And it looks like that's what is going to happen.

Thank you, Buncombe county, for your refusal to regulate land use!

looks like something out of a 1980's sci-fi film. Very Buck Rogers.

I'm all for mod, but this looks kinda stupid. Also looks like the kind of place that will seem outdated and shabby VERY soon.

I can already imagine the editorials in a decade or two calling for the destruction of the eyesore.

looks like something out of a 1980's sci-fi film. Very Buck Rogers.

I'm all for mod, but this looks kinda stupid. Also looks like the kind of place that will seem outdated and shabby VERY soon.

I can already imagine the editorials in a decade or two calling for the destruction of the eyesore.

I agree totally. It looks completely out of place in that area of the state.

I kind of like the design of the building. Just hope it doesn't ruin the moutain setting.

However, I think it would be nice if the people behind this would have came up with a design that fits in a little more. Echoing the above comments, this seems like something that belongs in some beachside resort town rather than the mountains...

"M" Grande Resort and Spa? I'm sick of all these new age-ish names! :angry::D

it's so....modern....looks like something that belongs in RTP not on 400 acres in the mountains

I like it. Asheville is so beautiful, and such a neat city that I often wondered when another mega hotel would be built there. If they do build this thing, I predict that it will be very successful.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch out Grove Park? I think what makes the Grove Park Inn so successful is that it conforms ot everythign that has been described before: archtecture, nature, etc.

This M Grande thing is quite hideous. The sad thing is that many tourists probably won't care, just so long as its a hotel that they can use.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived