Restriction on non-registered guests

TheBostonian

I can't find the thread where this recently came up, but I have something I nonetheless want to say. I know some complain that they need to be signed on even to read posts. Although I seem to be able to read the forums without signing in, I've heard two or three people complain that they can't. One of these was a person who reasonably objected to linking a Wikipedia article to an UP forum because of this. If it is the case that there is any such restriction, I highly recommend it be removed as an unreasonable impediment to wider access to UP.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unregistered users are blocked from viewing 3 boards it would seem.

Introduce Yourself

The Coffee House

UrbanPlanet Information

All 3 within the Urban Journal category but Sports is still viewable.

A couple of city-specfic forums are unavailiable, too:

Detroit's the only one I can think of right now.

I just click the "remember me" option so I rarely ever have to log in.

From a web developer standpoint, I strongly recommend against that. You guys do amazing on Google - I always see a link to UP when looking up things remotely related to the site. Once non-members are blocked out of reading the forums, Google and other search engines will start removing pages from their search indexes since they can't access any content, either.

But I'm not the one paying the bills :P and it's nice to see the site focused on supporting existing members instead of always doing things only to attract outsiders (which many websites do).

Archived