New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

Indeed, a bad thing to let go when you have papers like the Chicago Tribune writing stories about the museum. The site itself isn't too bad (a little spartan) but they should definitely hire an intern to go out and whip the content, collection and news into shape.

Joe

They are behind in so many ways. When I talked to the GRAM's PR guy, I told him everything that I saw at opening night and he was surprised. Perhaps they're too busy teaching everyone how the new computer system works at the GRAM to update a website. I don't know, I wasn't too impressed by the GRAM's functioning on opening day. Maybe they're looking for a webmaster now....

I did like the artwork, just didn't like how things were run and behind-the-scenes things only someone trying to get a story done would notice.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone considering a new membership and facility rental, the website was certainly a nonstarter. I think it'll work as long as it's updated. I also was disappointed in the Gift Shop section. I wanted to see the items in more detail, but you basically get a token close-up image for each section (e.g. Jewelry only shows a close-up of an amber slide, but not the other piece for sale).

I realized all the website flaws when I was doing some late-night web searching for GR-centric gifts because I want to include an item from the GRAM. We're giving some GR-centric gift baskets to our out-of-town parents, so if you have any other (cost-effective) ideas, please PM me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got an early look at the GRAM Member Newsletter.

Kulapat Yantrasat (sp?), architect of the new GRAM, is going to speak next Friday, November 9 at 5:30. Lecture is focused on GRAM and building LEED (obvs), and includes a Q&A. natch.

I know I have a couple questions that I can't wait to ask.

Anyone been there for the Friday Nights at the GRAM?

It said in the paper that there's a dinner buffet - know anything about that?

I went, on opening night.

The buffet was $10. It was OK. Due to steam table issues, some of the skewers were not as moist as they could have been; a little of the mushroom sauce solved that. (I arrived sometime about 6 pm and did not decide to eat until about 7, so it might be better earlier.)

Cut up and whole fruit, cut up and whole veggies, meat skewers, and I'm recalling some sort of pasta. Slightly-stuffed 'shrooms. The desserts were the best. Very attentive staff (and not in a "hi I'm Suzie your server" way). Fun place to interact with your fellow art lovers. Bar (dunno what they offer).

Wear a thick coat and use it as a chair cushion (upwards on this thread are pics of the green wire patio chairs in the cafe).

You can access the cafe without paying the $4 Friday night admission fee.

(this is making me want to go tomorrow night, but a vendor is taking me to lunch and it'll be time for a Hot Pocket or a can of soup)

I went, on opening night.

The buffet was $10. It was OK. Due to steam table issues, some of the skewers were not as moist as they could have been; a little of the mushroom sauce solved that. (I arrived sometime about 6 pm and did not decide to eat until about 7, so it might be better earlier.)

Cut up and whole fruit, cut up and whole veggies, meat skewers, and I'm recalling some sort of pasta. Slightly-stuffed 'shrooms. The desserts were the best. Very attentive staff (and not in a "hi I'm Suzie your server" way). Fun place to interact with your fellow art lovers. Bar (dunno what they offer).

Wear a thick coat and use it as a chair cushion (upwards on this thread are pics of the green wite patio chairs in the cafe).

You can access the cafe without paying the $4 Friday night admission fee.

(this is making me want to go tomorrow night, but a vendor is taking me to lunch and it'll be time for a Hot Pocket or a can of soup)

Thanks for the info...I was eager to visit a delicious downtown restaurant beforehand anyway. (since we have a night w/o kids...where to go???)

:)

I've been asked to give my review of our "Night on the Town". We chose not to try the GRAM buffet, we decided to go somewhere else and ended up at Bistro Bella Vita after going to a couple other places where the wait was just too long. It was crazy downtown on Friday, by the time we got to BBV, we just decided to wait. Great dinner!

We spent 8:15 - 9:00pm at the GRAM. It was really incredible. What a great building - truly something to be proud of for our city. We could've been there a lot longer - it just whet our appetites. If you didn't like it during construction, go. I think you'll love it. It felt really "big city" and was cool at night. There was a band playing in the auditorium to a silent film, not jazz like I thought it was going to be, but pretty cool. We didn't watch them much since we wanted to see the museum. It was neat having a live band there because it didn't feel so "stuffy" where you couldn't talk out loud. It was really busy - lots of young people. With this and the Meijer Gardens, this could really be (or already is) an art destination!

A great experience - I'd recommend it to anyone (only $8 for two!!)

I'd be eager to go again in the day and see how the natural light affects the space, but being at night was really great. Just sit on that porch and look out to the city! Ice skating will be great this winter with this in the background!

Finally made it to the new Museum this weekend. It's beautiful inside. Feels like you're in another "bigger" city! I don't remember reading any comments on the stairs. My friend and I were struck by how tiny the riser is between wide treads. Clearly there that way on purpose - I'm guessing to make it easier for people with physical issues to manage their way up and down. We (two physically fit young people) found them to be to awkward to maneuver and chose to take the elevator down three levels instead of dealing with the stairs again.

*fish

Grand Rapids new art house off to a strong start

The honeymoon hasn't ended yet at the new Grand Rapids Art Museum.

Six weeks after opening its doors during its inaugural week about 25,000 people have visited the 125,000-square foot museum.

In comparison, the museum's landmark 1997 exhibition "Perugino: Master of the Italian Renaissance" drew nearly 56,000 over 11 weeks.

I'm glad to hear that. I was wondering how the new location was going so far. I've been telling everybody what a great time Friday Nights at the GRAM is, and I'm surprised by how many people I talk to who have NEVER been in the art museum before (new or old location).

Grand Rapids new art house off to a strong start

The honeymoon hasn't ended yet at the new Grand Rapids Art Museum.

Six weeks after opening its doors during its inaugural week about 25,000 people have visited the 125,000-square foot museum.

In comparison, the museum's landmark 1997 exhibition "Perugino: Master of the Italian Renaissance" drew nearly 56,000 over 11 weeks.

I'm glad to hear that. I was wondering how the new location was going so far. I've been telling everybody what a great time Friday Nights at the GRAM is, and I'm surprised by how many people I talk to who have NEVER been in the art museum before (new or old location).

I'd love to do that "Friday nights at the GRAM" ...if I knew what it was.

I just looked through (quickly) GRAM's website and I don't see any mention if it.

What is it, when is it (every friday, every other?), what's it cost, etc...

I'd love to do that "Friday nights at the GRAM" ...if I knew what it was.

I just looked through (quickly) GRAM's website and I don't see any mention if it.

What is it, when is it (every friday, every other?), what's it cost, etc...

It's every Friday night from 5 - 9 PM

It features live music, mostly jazz, which starts at 6:30 PM

$5 per person to get in

Cash bar and a buffet in the cafe

If you go to their website and hit "Calendar", you'll find it:

http://www.gramonline.org/

or GRNow has some info on it:

http://events.grnow.com/events/index.php?c...07&month=11

It's every Friday night from 5 - 9 PM

It features live music, mostly jazz, which starts at 6:30 PM

$5 per person to get in

Cash bar and a buffet in the cafe

If you go to their website and hit "Calendar", you'll find it:

http://www.gramonline.org/

or GRNow has some info on it:

http://events.grnow.com/events/index.php?c...07&month=11

Did they raise the price? I paid $4 on opening night.

My review of the very first hors d'oeuvres buffet is in this thread; worth the $10. By now they might have the Wifi up and flying.

Hey, maybe they need some colorful banners hanging off the concrete.

FRIDAY

NIGHTS

@

GRAM

Future museum designers may also want to remember to include a large enough space to accommodate corporate events. While the GRAM appears to be a smash hit, this is one issue where it fails miserably - as it cannot accommodate a corp dinner crowd larger than 150 people... which I suppose only insures that corporate groups will have to continue spending their money in the much-more-boring-ballrooms at the AGP or JW... (I speak from vast personal professional experience trying to find appropriate local venues for major events held by several large local corporations). I'm personally very disappointed that the GRAM will not be a viable venue for my clients...

The November 26th issue of Newsweek made mention of the GRAM as one of "...two beautifully minimalist museums..." (Denver got the other nod) to open in the last two months. The majority of the article was devoted to the New Museum in NYC which will open December 1st. I would love to see us get more in depth national press but to even be mentioned in the same breath as cities like Denver and New York is something to be proud of. We really do have a gem.

Archived