New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta say that I'm surprised that with this new building they didn't change the name of the Museum, i.e., "Art Institute of Grand Rapids," or The "Wege Museum of Art." IMO the name "Grand Rapids Art Museum" doesn't have that certain something to it.

No one wanted their name on that building?

I think it looks like something that could've been whipped together in about 30 minutes.

I don't doubt that one bit. I could create that in illustrator in 5 minutes or less. The thing is, they probably started with a dozen different designs and the one you see is probably the third or fourth iteration of one of those designs.

The other thing thats nice for GRAM is that the logo is very versatile. That little blue block could become orange or green or red (etc.), depending on what product they want to slap it on or what the event/exhibit is that they are promoting.

I gotta say that I'm surprised that with this new building they didn't change the name of the Museum, i.e., "Art Institute of Grand Rapids," or The "Wege Museum of Art." IMO the name "Grand Rapids Art Museum" doesn't have that certain something to it.

Personally, I thing GRAM has more acronymic appeal than AIGR or WMA would.

The other thing thats nice for GRAM is that the logo is very versatile. That little blue block could become orange or green or red (etc.), depending on what product they want to slap it on or what the event/exhibit is that they are promoting.

I do like the idea of having the block change colors. Will the lanterns or windows at the top of the museum change colors to?

I have to say as a graphic designer that, whether or not you like it, that logo may have taken hours and days to come up with. Sometimes the simplest solution is the hardest one to discover.

That said, the "G" does look crowded and I think they could've pushed the design a little farther. But it's a helluva lot better than the psychadelic olives that represent our humble downtown.

I don't doubt that one bit. I could create that in illustrator in 5 minutes or less. The thing is, they probably started with a dozen different designs and the one you see is probably the third or fourth iteration of one of those designs.

Could have been worse. I like the simplicity. The design matches the concept of the facility.

My favorite response to design or art critics who say, "I could've done that," is "well you didn't."

I really like it. Edgy and contemporary (which the GRAM has never been known to be), versitile and definitely easy to read.

Knowing the management over there, I'm actually surprised by it.

Art's in all things, simplicity too.

Art is NOT in all things.

My favorite response to design or art critics who say, "I could've done that," is "well you didn't."

I really like it. Edgy and contemporary (which the GRAM has never been known to be), versitile and definitely easy to read.

Knowing the management over there, I'm actually surprised by it.

Completely agree - a good fit for the look of the museum. And I'm glad to hear it is named

for the city, not another donor.

By the way, was anyone able to make it to the tree lighting ceremony? I had to work and missed it.

Hope it was a nice event.

New logo is crisp and clean. I'm a big fan...especially when you're in the middle of an urban setting.

TO those who say "I could have done that! I cannot believe they paid for it" I can only add: Maybe you're in the wrong business? Pursue a future in logo design!

The new "GRAM" logo looks alot better than the old logo. Its clean, minimal, and fresh. My only thing with it is that I can't help but think of a semi-conductor manufacturer's or some Silicon Valley company's corporate logo at first glance. But overall I'll buy into it.

Archived