Malco in Memphis

Mith242

Just curious if anyone had any comments about Malco in general. It wasn't until recently that I learned that Malco was based out of Memphis. They are quickly becoming very dominant in my area of northwest Arkansas. They have a very nice theater in Rogers and are building two more. Including one that is going to be a 'flagship' type theater that will be similar to one they have in Memphis. My only complaint is that they haven't done much in my city of Fayetteville. But I've been impressed with the theaters they've been building here in northwest Arkansas and hope they continue to do so.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which theater are you referring to as "flagship?"  Most people would probably say the Majestic is their flagship theater.  I personally like the Paradiso.  It sits in the shadow of Clark Tower in East Memphis and has every amenity.  It has an internet cafe, an arcade, and even has a bar that serves drinks.  Most of their theaters are very nice though.  They built a very nice one in the struggling Raleigh Springs Mall and though it didn't save the mall, it turned things around considerably.  The traffic at the mall have really increased since the theater opened.  Check out the Paradiso on their homepage....

http://www.malco.com/index.php?page=Corporate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure which one. The article I read mentioned that one of the new theaters being built in Rogers would be a 'flagship' type theater like one of the ones they have in Memphis. They seem to be oddly spread out in Arkansas. I can understand northeast Arkansas, that makes sense due to it's closeness. The have one in southeast Arkansas. And then they have quite a few in northwest Arkansas and it is probably their strongest area in Arkansas. Basically I think they were the only ones to try to take advantage of all the growth going on up here. I wonder if they used to have more locations in Arkansas. I know there is an old Malco theater in Pine Bluff in southeast Arkansas. I think it was built back in the 20's or 30's. But it closed down a long time ago.

THe paridiso is the best theatre ive ever been to. really really nice. I wish all their theatres were like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am pretty sure Paradiso is their flagship. I believe their corporate offices are upstairs in that building. Malco builds awesome theaters with cutting edge technology. It appears they are proud of their Memphis heritage and are committed to staying independent, resisting takeover overtures. Hopefully they aren't averse to being the predator, but looking at their business philosophy, they aren't aggressive, but patient, in terms of their growth.

My favorite is Studio on the Square. But the Paradiso is awesome too.

Yeah, Malco is based out of Memphis and pretty well covers the midsouth area.

Malco stands for "M. A. Lightman Company".

I went to high school with the owner's son who had a theatre in his house.

Just curious if anyone had any comments about Malco in general.  It wasn't until recently that I learned that Malco was based out of Memphis.  They are quickly becoming very dominant in my area of northwest Arkansas.  They have a very nice theater in Rogers and are building two more.  Including one that is going to be a 'flagship' type theater that will be similar to one they have in Memphis.  My only complaint is that they haven't done much in my city of Fayetteville.  But I've been impressed with the theaters they've been building here in northwest Arkansas and hope they continue to do so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just went to the Malco website to see where they have theaters. I do buiness in NW Arkansas, and have personally been to the Malco theater in Rogers and it really is a nice theater. I was surprised to see that Malco does operate two theaters in Fayetteville - the Mall Twin and Razorback Cinema 6. I was also surprised to see that they don't have any theaters in Tennessee east of Shelby County, yet it operates theaters in MS, AR and MO. It seems odd to me that a Tennessee headquartered company would expand only out of state.

there used to be a MALCO in Jackson, TN but the Hollywood and Regal forced it out about 4 years ago. It was up off Hwy 45 bypass at Oil Well.

When I worked there (at the now abandoned Trinity Commons cinema), the corporate offices were at the Ridgeway cinema, and I think they still are, but maybe they have moved to the Paradiso (which is a VERY nice theater).

I was rather surprised that MUVICO opened in the Peabody Place mall downtown. MALCO has been very good at keeping its rivals down and out of sight in Memphis. The MUVICO is a very classy place as well.

It is true that Memphis is really the only market for MALCO in Tennessee and yet they are based there. There is a good bit of presence in North MS, NE AR (including the Sikeston, MO theater), and NW AR, and someone already mentioned the one in Owensboro, KY. But with the exception of NW AR, those areas are Memphis's biggest regional draws--even moreso than West TN due in part to a growing influence centered in Jackson, TN. Even NW AR with the University has gretater connection to Memphis than many parts of TN. Growing up in Memphis, it is hard to deny that the University of Arkansas (and Ole Miss in North MS) have as much or more presence in Memphis than UT. These are likely reasons (other than growth) that MALCO chose to expand into these locations before other markets in TN. Now, I'm not trying to suggest that movie theater chains are some indicator of regional power and influence--but the example does emphasize a truth.

Didn't Malco just open up some big multiplex in Oxford?

The Trinity Commons place closed? Wow. It seems like that area was just built up ten years ago. Talk about virtually planned obsolesence.

the Oxford multiplex--not opened yet, to my knowledge, but it is due out sometime this year.

yeah, Trinity Commons cinema was in a spot that it couldn't expand (supposedly--but they probably could have for big bucks). It had no stadium seating, a small lobby, and was dated in most facets of theaters. To make things worse for it though, the Stage Cinema and the Wolfchase cinema--both newer and--are located just a few miles north down Germantown Road. They ended up building a cinema at Macon and Germantown a few blocks north. Newer, bigger, better, so forth.

After Cordova Cinema at Macon opened, Trinity became an overflow theater. It received popular movies a few weeks late, usually after other theaters needed to ditch multiple screenings of a single movie. So it wasn't technically second-run--and the prices certainly weren't. Apparently, some clause in the lease kept them from turning it into a true second run theater.

I always liked the environment of the Trinity Commons theater. And then of course, I worked there. I hate to see it gone. The shopping center is still doing fairly well though. And, I think Double Eagle Golf retailers moved into the unoccupied space.

I just went to the Malco website to see where they have theaters. I do buiness in NW Arkansas, and have personally been to the Malco theater in Rogers and it really is a nice theater.  I was surprised to see that Malco does operate two theaters in Fayetteville - the Mall Twin and Razorback Cinema 6.  I was also surprised to see that they don't have any theaters in Tennessee east of Shelby County, yet it operates theaters in MS, AR and MO.  It seems odd to me that a Tennessee headquartered company would expand only out of state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Malco has two theaters in Fayetteville but unfortunately they are both very old. Malco seems hesitant on what it's next step in Fayetteville will be. They also have a theater in Springdale, which is just north of Fayetteville. It also sounds like they are building two more theaters for Rogers. But this area is having a lot of economic and population growth so it's nice to see that they are taking advantage of the situation. With the exception of Fayetteville that is.

there used to be a MALCO in Jackson, TN but the Hollywood and Regal forced it out about 4 years ago.  It was up off Hwy 45 bypass at Oil Well. 

When I worked there (at the now abandoned Trinity Commons cinema), the corporate offices were at the Ridgeway cinema, and I think they still are, but maybe they have moved to the Paradiso (which is a VERY nice theater). 

I was rather surprised that MUVICO opened in the Peabody Place mall downtown.  MALCO has been very good at keeping its rivals down and out of sight in Memphis.  The MUVICO is a very classy place as well.   

It is true that Memphis is really the only market for MALCO in Tennessee and yet they are based there.  There is a good bit of presence in North MS, NE AR (including the Sikeston, MO theater), and NW AR, and someone already mentioned the one in Owensboro, KY.  But with the exception of NW AR, those areas are Memphis's biggest regional draws--even moreso than West TN due in part to a growing influence centered in Jackson, TN.  Even NW AR with the University has gretater connection to Memphis than many parts of TN.  Growing up in Memphis, it is hard to deny that the University of Arkansas (and Ole Miss in North MS) have as much or more presence in Memphis than UT.  These are likely reasons (other than growth) that MALCO chose to expand into these locations before other markets in TN.  Now,  I'm not trying to suggest that movie theater chains are some indicator of regional power and influence--but the example does emphasize a truth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've gotten the impression that Malco used to have a larger presence here in Arkansas. I know there is a very old Malco theater in Pine Bluff in southeast Arkansas. I think over time some of their theaters closed and they lost some of the area they used to cover and simply never went back.

• 1 year later...

Talk about reviving an OLD thread... Malco is in the process of refurbishing the "classic" Ridgeway 4 in East Memphis according to a recent article in the Daily News. It's good to see this; I must have seen dozens of films there in the 80s as Collierville had only the ancient Cinema 72 and the R4 was the closest modern theater. Those 4 theaters within R4 are huge compared with todays megaplexes. It's a little sad to see stadium seating being considered, but I guess that's the way everything's going. Either way, kudos to Malco for keeping the R4 open and updating it.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=96600

the Oxford multiplex--not opened yet, to my knowledge, but it is due out sometime this year.

yeah, Trinity Commons cinema was in a spot that it couldn't expand (supposedly--but they probably could have for big bucks). It had no stadium seating, a small lobby, and was dated in most facets of theaters. To make things worse for it though, the Stage Cinema and the Wolfchase cinema--both newer and--are located just a few miles north down Germantown Road. They ended up building a cinema at Macon and Germantown a few blocks north. Newer, bigger, better, so forth.

After Cordova Cinema at Macon opened, Trinity became an overflow theater. It received popular movies a few weeks late, usually after other theaters needed to ditch multiple screenings of a single movie. So it wasn't technically second-run--and the prices certainly weren't. Apparently, some clause in the lease kept them from turning it into a true second run theater.

I always liked the environment of the Trinity Commons theater. And then of course, I worked there. I hate to see it gone. The shopping center is still doing fairly well though. And, I think Double Eagle Golf retailers moved into the unoccupied space.

I think the Winchester theaters are closer to Trinity than the Wolfchase area ones, and affected it more. The strip mall Winchester I think is closed too now.

Re Trinity's obsolescence, I think it was built around 1990. Actually probably before that. Around '93 it became a second-run theater, no new releases, but for $1.50 admission, not too bad.

Is the R4 the one at the old Omni/Hyatt/Adam'sMark/whoknowswhatelse?

Qwerty, nice recap of Trinity Commons. I started saw several movies there in the early 90s when I was in high school. I recall the place doing a fantastic business on the weekends as the lines would be out into the parking lot. The mural was pretty slick; I guess that's now a common feature in all Malco theaters. I have seen one or two films in the Cordova cinema and find it to be like any other multiplex...not great, not bad, but nothing about it really stands out. I only saw one film at the Majestic and I just didn't feel safe walking to/from the car. It appears the Winchester Court 2nd-run cinema is still open, but not sure if it's a full 8 screens.

To answer a previous question, the Ridgeway Four (R4) is indeed the theater next to the Hilton on Ridge Lake Blvd. (formerly the Hyatt/Omni/Adam's Mark)

Qwerty, nice recap of Trinity Commons. I started saw several movies there in the early 90s when I was in high school. I recall the place doing a fantastic business on the weekends as the lines would be out into the parking lot. The mural was pretty slick; I guess that's now a common feature in all Malco theaters. I have seen one or two films in the Cordova cinema and find it to be like any other multiplex...not great, not bad, but nothing about it really stands out. I only saw one film at the Majestic and I just didn't feel safe walking to/from the car. It appears the Winchester Court 2nd-run cinema is still open, but not sure if it's a full 8 screens.

To answer a previous question, the Ridgeway Four (R4) is indeed the theater next to the Hilton on Ridge Lake Blvd. (formerly the Hyatt/Omni/Adam's Mark)

Trinity Commons opened in 1990 and closed in 2004.

Having worked at Trinity Commons for 2 years +/- in late 90's early 2000's, Trinity was hurt by Stage (Hwy 64 @ G'Town) and Wolfchase, but the Cordova Cinema was Trinity's death knell. It became second-run in 2003 shortly after Cordova opened, which I figure is what you meant instead of 1993. And like I stated in my previous post, it was not a true second run. Second run cinemas get their movies months after the movies leave the main cinemas. Trinity Commons got its movies a month or two after the movies opened at other cinemas, often getting the reels of films once multiple screenings were unnecessary at other theaters. Trinity Commons shopping center apparently had a clause keeping MALCO from operating a true second-run theater. Trinity Commons may have still been operating today if it could have reverted to a full second-run.

When I first started there, we still averaged around 1000 per weekend night--not bad for 9 screens, several of which did not seat many. Stage expanded and added more stadium seating around that time, and the Wolfchase area continued to grow commercially. More people opted for those theaters--especially for the stadium seating. I went off to college, and at each return, fewer people were coming and Cordova finally opened--reducing Trinity to the few people who weren't awed by new facilities and equipment, stadium seating, or more & bigger theaters. Or perhaps the people who kept coming to Trinity did so out of some kind of loyalty, habit, or desire to avoid crowds and annoying teenagers.

It was sad to see Trinity go not only for having worked there in high school and some college breaks when I was back home, but also since I preferred to go to that one even after the opening of the 2 in the Wolfchase area. I have never liked the Cordova theater (mostly due to crowding and the hundreds of junior high hangouts) and prefer to go to Paradiso (MALCO's flagship) which is a VERY nice theater.

As for the Winchester/Hickory Hill/Southwind area theaters (Winchester, Apple Tree, and Majestic), they had little impact on Trinity's base. Forest-Hill (in G'Town) and Collierville cinemas had as much or more impact on Trinity than the SE Memphis ones, but none as great as Wolfchase's 2 and the Cordova cinema. Apple Tree and Winchester suffered greatly from the Majestic's opening and later expansion. Of course, Hickory Hill's economic downtown and rise in crime also hurt the 2 cinemas and even plagues the Majestic today. Apple Tree finally closed down (2001?) and Winchester took its role as second run. For a while they had closed down half of the individual theaters at Winchester and used them for storage. I'm not sure of its status now.

I do wonder if they were able to preserve that mural from the lobby of Trinity Commons Cinema.

I remember seeing movies there around 1990. There was no theater in Germantown. Going out that way was country. I think the road was two-lane and under construction back then. There was nothing there but that shopping center.

Archived