The Watering Hole

Not to break with the topic at hand, but has anyone saw the new Grand Rapids book to be published? Its called: Grand Rapid In Vintage Postcards 1890-1940. My girlfriend suprised me with it at Christmas, man was I blown away. It features some of the rarest postcards from the early years of GR. I think If I could take some scans of this book you all would be blown away. If you're a Grand Rapids history buff like me, then I highly recommend that you put an order out on this book.

Links:

Target.com http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=8-...asin=0738539503

the publisher:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2...&Category_Code=

Not to break with the topic at hand, but has anyone saw the new Grand Rapids book to be published? Its called: Grand Rapid In Vintage Postcards 1890-1940. My girlfriend suprised me with it at Christmas, man was I blown away. It features some of the rarest postcards from the early years of GR. I think If I could take some scans of this book you all would be blown away. If you're a Grand Rapids history buff like me, then I highly recommend that you put an order out on this book.

Links:

Target.com http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=8-...asin=0738539503

the publisher:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2...&Category_Code=

I've seen it. It's available at the public library. It's been out for a couple of months and is WORTH THE READ. You will look so long at each photo, you will almost fall into them.

Those of us regulars here, can we make a pact that if you're browsing here, you'll set your login as "visible"? That bugs me to see so many invisible browsers <_<:)

I remember a discussion way back before we were the "Popular Kids", regulars saying they like to lurk anonymous :ph34r: .. I just never really understood that.. We don't care that you're slacking off at work :rolleyes::lol:

Yeah, I got this book for Christmas too; the historical photos are amazing. It's cool to look at all the buildings from the pics that are still standing and then at all the incredible ones that should still be here. I would highly recommend this book to anyone here at UP- GR. Is it OK to scan pics from the book? If so, are there any requests Rizzo?

I wouldn't scan anyof the book, as it may violate copyright laws.
That's what I was thinking... oh well. Then go out and look at the book for yourselves! In almost all of the downtown pics there are streetcars- if I had a time machine...

One downside of all the recent notoriety for this site: they're discussing over at the Charlotte forum how Wachovia Bank (from which they tracked over 200 unique visitors) has now blocked UrbanPlanet :( Hope no employers around here do that <_<

wachovia has always seemed a little shady to me :ph34r:

GRDad.. do you have any idea why all the icons/smilies aren't available. Or maybe you could point one of the "Big Guys" here to answer this. It seems like on other boards i post to that use PowerBoard (which is the software that runs this msg forum) have tons of different icons (more than we have here). I was wondering if its a custom thing that the mod's can allow which ones are available, or if it's just a different version of software. Not complaining, just curious.

GRDad.. do you have any idea why all the icons/smilies aren't available. Or maybe you could point one of the "Big Guys" here to answer this. It seems like on other boards i post to that use PowerBoard (which is the software that runs this msg forum) have tons of different icons (more than we have here). I was wondering if its a custom thing that the mod's can allow which ones are available, or if it's just a different version of software. Not complaining, just curious.

No, I don't. Any particular ones you'd like? I wish we had a drooler, devil, and a head-shaker. I can put it in the general request box :P

No, I don't. Any particular ones you'd like? I wish we had a drooler, devil, and a head-shaker. I can put it in the general request box :P

These are the other ones (there may be a few repeats) on another board I use. It's using the same 2.1.4 version of PowerBoard, so I'd assume they can enable and disable which ever ones they want. Most of them are dancing type ones.

:aggressive:

:beee:

:angel:

:blush2:

:clapping:

:dance:

:cry2:

:dntknw:

:good:

:offtopic:

:search:

:stop: