ITP - The Rapid

torgo

As someone who is not familiar with the Rapid routes or user profiles, I've been wondering about commuter usage, particularly using limited, express, or regional routes. Are there such things in the ITP service area, or are most of the buses serving primarily local trips with frequent stops?

Many transit operators start drawing in a different demographic through peak hour commuter service that makes pretty good time from pick up to drop off (e.g., suburban park and rides to downtown or other major employment centers and vice versa). From there, they can often build a market for fixed guideway or "rapid transit" facilities and services.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone who is not familiar with the Rapid routes or user profiles, I've been wondering about commuter usage, particularly using limited, express, or regional routes. Are there such things in the ITP service area, or are most of the buses serving primarily local trips with frequent stops?

Many transit operators start drawing in a different demographic through peak hour commuter service that makes pretty good time from pick up to drop off (e.g., suburban park and rides to downtown or other major employment centers and vice versa). From there, they can often build a market for fixed guideway or "rapid transit" facilities and services.

^Agreed. This city needs more mass transit options now! Rising gas prices congestion are only going to get worse. If these factors are not having a negative economic effect on Grand Rapids now, they obviously will in the future. Regardless of that we are already seeing evidence that people are sick of paying high gas prices and dealing with congestion. Ridership on the RAPID has been growing by leaps and bounds, by 200,000 rides a year up to the year 2005. But that's just a start. In 2006 ridership rocketed up by 800,000 rides to an all time high. To this day the RAPID is still seeing a continuing increase in ridership numbers. But the issue about the need for mass transit is not just a Grand Rapids matter. The U.S. as a whole is seeing an increase number of people using public transit options to deal with rising gas prices and congestion. In fact right now the number of riderships, nationally is at levels not seen since 1957. The writing is on the wall, fellow members, the Greater Grand Rapids Metro Area, needs mass transit and it needs it now if it is to continue to be a viable and vibrant area.

ITP's ridership was up 986,430 in 2006. Its predicted to add 1,000,000 ridership for the fiscal year and continued double digit growth in many of its routes! The ITP folks should be mighty proud for the system they run -- world class in my opinion.

FY2007 - First Quarter saw fixed route ridership at 2,139,780.

There seems to be a lot of talk in Grand Rapids of expanding mass transit to include light rail, streetcars, and I've even heard ideas of express buses like what you're talking about. When the S-curve was under reconstruction and completely shut down, the RAPID through MDOT ran an express bus service down Century (runs parallel to 131), and had some temporary park-n-rides set up. It actually got pretty good ridership.

Teens, the RAPID, and Police will be attending a closed door meeting to find a way to deal with the fights that closed the ITP Bus Station.

Fox 17 article

I know this article is trying to paint the usual media negativity on this issue. But I am glad it mentioned that Police and the RAPID are including teens in this meeting to hear their input.

Hopefully a good public relations campaign, (press releases, tv and radio ad, internet, etc) will take care of that.

[Edit] Almost forgot.....Advocacy groups for good measure. [/Edit[

ok, how about this... this proposal increases bus routes. what if the voters say yes and when a year down the road the proposal for streetcars is introduced peole say, "I just increased the budget for the rapid now they want another increase jeesh"?

im just thinking out loud

This afternoon marked the kick off of The Rapid's millage campaign. Make sure you all go out and vote on May ballot :thumbsup:

"ballot will ask taxpayers for a 1.12 mill increase. Part of the money is a renewal of the current millage, and an additional .17 mill will be put toward improving and expanding services, such as longer weekday evening and Saturday services."

"The total millage would cost the owner of a $100,000 home about $56 a year."

"Organizers say the millage has support of Kent County Republicans and Democrats."

The complete article can be read at Wood TV 8:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6295115

Not this Joe, Rizzo. It's good to see people use my screen name on the MLive forums when I have been in favor of public transportation and mass transit. :dontknow: I don't comment on it much because I don't quite understand the ins and outs like you guys do, but I assure you that I'm not behind this website. Shows you what a class act they are.

Joe

Apparently, some Joe thinks otherwise....

http://www.stoptherapid.org/

Not this Joe, Rizzo. It's good to see people use my screen name on the MLive forums when I have been in favor of public transportation and mass transit. :dontknow: I don't comment on it much because I don't quite understand the ins and outs like you guys do, but I assure you that I'm not behind this website. Shows you what a class act they are.

Joe

By the way, that website is way too math intensive for the average "joe" to understand, so I don't see them gaining much traction.

I do not in any way wish to give credence to their arguments, but I found myself wondering between the lines I was reading if they might actually seem like they would be supportive of light rail or streetcars instead of busses? I'm just tossing the very wild haired idea out there that these folks (however many they might be?) might actually be a group we could energize when it comes to promoting other forms of mass transit? How does the old saying go? "Keep your friends close - and your enemies even closer?"

I do not in any way wish to give credence to their arguments, but I found myself wondering between the lines I was reading if they might actually seem like they would be supportive of light rail or streetcars instead of busses? I'm just tossing the very wild haired idea out there that these folks (however many they might be?) might actually be a group we could energize when it comes to promoting other forms of mass transit? How does the old saying go? "Keep your friends close - and your enemies even closer?"

Last time I heard, AAA said it was 55-60 cents to operate your car per mile, not 30 (or whatever rapidno has on their site.) If they want to play the advocate for responsibility they would have their numbers straight.

This one man operation (you can tell) goes by Kent County Families for Fiscal Responsibility.

Nevermind, List is below.

Archived