Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Heather Spires, Center City Partnership's new director of retail recruitment who will replace Amy Stone, wants to grow Main Street's retail base by first reaching out to small, independent, local, and regional businesses. Also, I wasn't aware that Kimbrell's Furniture is in the process of closing.
i was aware it was closing but i thought ya'll might have known about it already

• 4 weeks later...

Tapp's Arts Center, Columbia's center for visual and performing arts at 1644 Main Street, will celebrate its grand opening Wednesday, November 2 at 1:00 p.m. and Thursday, November 3 at 5:00 p.m. as part of its November First Thursdays on Main show and invites the public to mingle with the artists, see their work and most importantly, celebrate the grand opening.

• 2 weeks later...

Spartan should like this bit of news. smile.gif

The McCrory building at 1556 Main is a candidate for Group II Landmark status, but not because of the historic nature of the building itself. The building received an extensive alteration around 1950 when a new exterior brick veneer and new windows and storefront were added to the building. This building does not appear to have retained its nineteenth century features behind the new façade. The projecting cornice and decorative iron window lintels had to be removed to accommodate the new brick exterior, and the window openings were closed in, as they did not match the openings for the mid-century update. Even the interior space is devoid of historic detailing such as tin ceilings or ornamental plaster (which is largely due to a fire that essentially gutted the building in 1925); only brick walls and wood columns supporting the floors and roof give any hint to the building’s age.

As the large retailers on Main Street began removing their updated exteriors (i.e., faux facades) by the late twentieth century, McCrory slowly became more and more unique. Among the prominent corner buildings that sheathed themselves in new exteriors, such as Belk’s, Lourie’s and Haltiwangers, only McCrory retains its updated façade. As such, it is a rare survivor of the latest trend to “return” buildings to their old facades. This building is also significant for its design. A streamlined commercial structure with a prominent horizontal window motif, supported by continuous concrete sills and lintels, contrasting with a strong vertical corner panel, the building’s use of geometric shapes, its display of contrasting but simple materials such as blonde brick, concrete and stucco, all speak to its mid-twentieth century heritage. Now over fifty years old, this façade qualifies as a historic alteration to the building. This building is a prime example of a company attempting to keep up with the times, as the McCrory company owned the building during its remodeling. This attempt is part of the history of the evolution of Main Street and is a significant event in the built history of the city center.

The DDRC application link has a picture of how the building looked in its original condition. It also has a rendering of the building, presumably submitted by the company that recently purchased it, after being repurposed for new retail/restaurant use which includes new windows, awnings, and a new side storefront.

You know, I've been thinking about this. And for consistency in my own arguments, I think this is generally a good thing. This horrendous building will always serve as a reminder of what was, and the attitude that people had towards our older buildings during the past 50 years or so. In the long run it is a good idea to save a few of these here and there. Now, that said I think this is one of the worst examples of a "new-façade" building. The update is only a slight improvement.

The plus side is that it will have street retail, which is by far the most important thing for Main St.

IMO the renderings for the McCrory's renovation look great. On the same day the construction company erected a chain link fence around it to get started, here's what has just opened across the street from it.

http://nashville.wed...-grand-opening/

Also, Something Special Florists next to McCrory's has started their renovations, and a new wine bar on the ground floor of the condo building next to Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse (which is always packed), Wine Down On Main, has also started theirs.

It's not gonna stop.

Edited by CorgiMatt

You know, I've been thinking about this. And for consistency in my own arguments, I think this is generally a good thing. This horrendous building will always serve as a reminder of what was, and the attitude that people had towards our older buildings during the past 50 years or so. In the long run it is a good idea to save a few of these here and there. Now, that said I think this is one of the worst examples of a "new-façade" building. The update is only a slight improvement.

I think this example is probably the most practical because the exterior has been renovated so heavily until there's really nothing original to be saved. And I don't think it's really that bad; a commercial building that was actually built during the 60's would probably look very similar. I think the others that can be restored ought to be.