Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

They are on a rampage all over the Southeast and other markets nationally as well. Our franchisee in South Carolina is Greer-based Kainos Partners, a "large area developer" for Dunkin' Donuts. The company has already opened several stores in the Upstate within the past year.

A Yahoo Finance article from February 2008 - According to this article, the first Kainos built Columbia store to open will be in the Lexington area this June. Other store locations to open this year include the Fort Jackson Base Hospital, Irmo, and West Columbia. The rest of the planned stores will open within five years. I assume the Main Street location will be built soon, depending on whether or not they have the storefront property lined up. I also would not be surprised to hear an announcement regarding the Main Street location similar to the one recently released regarding the"two level ... special showcase restaurant" on Greenville's Main Street. That would be great. :thumbsup:

I would assume that most of the new locations will be different than the old ones in the sense that doughnuts will not actualy be produced at each location; that would be cost prohibitive. Some of the Dunkins in Columbia now are joint stores with Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream, though there are still some stand-alone Dunkins and stand alone Baskins. They need to concentrate on inventing a low fat/low carb doughnut! :unsure:

I would assume that most of the new locations will be different than the old ones in the sense that doughnuts will not actualy be produced at each location; that would be cost prohibitive. Some of the Dunkins in Columbia now are joint stores with Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream, though there are still some stand-alone Dunkins and stand alone Baskins. They need to concentrate on inventing a low fat/low carb doughnut! :unsure:

I think DD is poised to blow up. Especially with Starbucks fatigue taking hold (their new branding sucks, too -- not because it's controversial, it's just contrived) and the economy like it is. They are positioning themselves to be the coffeeshop for the common people -- and with donuts! Disclaimer: I do not own DD stock... YET. :)

Edited by emerging.me

Columbia has that in the Vista and Five Points. For whatever reason, at this point, Main Street has not developed like that. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that "Main Street" become that when it already exists in other parts of downtown - the Vista and Five Points. As far as Thai Restaurants, there is a wonderful Thai Restaurant - Baan Sawan in Five Points and I think there is one on Taylor Street, too. All of the restaurants you listed are downtown, they just aren't on Main Street. Why is there such a fascination with Main Street being the center of nightlife? If we continue to push residential and hotel development in the Main Street area, then more restaurants and retail will follow. As far as the homeless are concerned, I work downtown, go to a gym (mostly at night) downtown and frequent the Vista and Five Points. Yes, there are some homeless, but other than them occasionally asking me for money, they leave me alone.

But those in the Vista and Five Points are in the distinct minority. The vast majority of the establishments in both are beer and wings, basic seafood or steak, pizza, chains, etc. (which I have nothing against--love beer and wings!) There are exceptions as I mentioned of eclectic locally-owned places--but these are rare. We need a district of town, and Main Street is begging for it since it's our most urban in feel, for an urbane, sophisticated entertainment/dining district. There is just no substitute for it anywhere but among the highrises of Main, IMO. Something with a cosmopolitan feel would cater to locals and the many out-of-towners staying at the Marriott, the new boutique hotel, etc. as well as those lodging places in other areas like the Vista. It would give Columbia a much-needed boost of sophistication, to replace a very real and perceived image of plainness.

Today those exceptions are far flung, from Devine Street to State Street to Richland Northeast. We need a concentration within blocks of each other like our sister cities Charleston and Greenville have. Why not Columbia?

I think DD is poised to blow up. Especially with Starbucks fatigue taking hold (their new branding sucks, too -- not because it's controversial, it's just contrived) and the economy like it is. They are positioning themselves to be the coffeeshop for the common people -- and with donuts! Disclaimer: I do not own DD stock... YET. :)

Don't get caught out on the bubble like those poor bastages who bough Krispey Kreme stock when it was going fool.

• 4 weeks later...

^Now you know you're not allowed to make announcements like that without an accompanying courtesty shot. :P

I'll take some photos when it opens. You can see the rooftop sushi bar from a distance and the sign from my office on Huger Street. There is also a street cut-in and a covered entryway at the entrance. From what I can see so far, it appears they have done a tremendous job renovating the Palmetto Building.

^Did they say they were closing due to the streetscaping project? I'm betting that's the reason. It's unfortunate that some businesses can't weather the inconvenience that such a project inevitably causes, but the investment that occurs afterwards proves that it's worth it in the long run.

Sometimes it truly is darkest before the dawn. I hate to see stores close, especially when they've been there for a long time, but look at the new investment that has resulted from the completion of the streetscaping of the first 3 blocks of Main Street north of the State House.

They have removed the chain link fence from around the Sheraton and for the last two days have been putting the final touches on the exterior at ground level. The door to the basement was open yesterday and the day before, and workers were entering and exiting the building like ants getting it ready to open.