Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I thought somebody said something about a park or something at one point. That would truly be a terrible use of such a prime parcel. I think a traditional shop needs to be built there with offices on the upper floor(s), with an entrance facing the corner.

I agree, Krazee. Like we said in earlier posts, turning these small cleared lots into "parks" is a waste. They are too small to serve as parks--you can hardly turn around once the plantings and hardscapes are installed. Also, their being hemmed in by tall buildings make them a little "too close for comfort" to a potentially dangerous park visitor.

They quickly become a magnet for those who spend their lives loitering about, if you know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

CorgiMatt has reported that this Tuesday, the 25th, the Keenan Fountain in Boyd Plaza in front of the Columbia Museum of Art will be officially unveiled. Hope someone gets some pics either at the unveiling or soon thereafter.

The Southeastern Real Estate Business website has a city highlight of Columbia in this month's edition, with coverage of the industrial, retail, multifamily, and office markets. Specifically it says: "An additional announcement on a new Main Street building is also in the works as the CBD garners much of the focus of growth in the Columbia office market." I read another source that said something about office space in the works for downtown (aside from what we already know), so this appears to be confirmation.

The Southeastern Real Estate Business website has a city highlight of Columbia in this month's edition, with coverage of the industrial, retail, multifamily, and office markets. Specifically it says: "An additional announcement on a new Main Street building is also in the works as the CBD garners much of the focus of growth in the Columbia office market." I read another source that said something about office space in the works for downtown (aside from what we already know), so this appears to be confirmation.

I wonder what will it be????I hope's it's a new high rise

Here's the latest pic of the fountain taken from my office. I took the pic yesterday before the water was running. As I drove by today, I noticed that they have the fountain part functioning. The pic kinda makes it look like it's tilted towards the corner...but it's not.

post-9125-1190724443_thumb.jpg

Edited by BryCola

I hope its a nice bulky mixed use midrise that will fill up the parking lot at Main & Gervais. That spot has been screaming for a quality development since they tore down the old hotel that used to sit there.

Are you referring to the old Wade Hampton Hotel that was torn down for the Capitol Center construction? Originally the space where that parking lot is located was supposed to be used for hotel construction, but, as best I can remember, the original developers went bankrupt and it never came to fruition. That would still be an excellent location for a hotel.

Well, I noticed a couple of days ago that the lot on the Corner of Lady and Main, the one First Citizens said was going to be an urban park with an amphitheatre, has had all the weeds removed, including the ones beside the fabric shop, and has been graded. Could it be that they are about to pave it for parking for now, or soon start on the urban park, or could it be their plans have changed and it is being prepped for a new building?

I checked out the sculpture today on my lunch break and it looks really awesome. Water comes out from different parts and the sound of it coming down the sculpture is so calming. What a great addition to Main St. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera. :blush:

Edited by BrasilnSC

Y'all's daytime pics are grand, but I have to say the fountain really speaks at night. I stopped by this evening. Oh my GOD! It's fabulous. Like jewelry. Only better, because the water's motion and sound, combined with the lighting, make it a living thing.

After I've saved enough money to buy the camera I've been drooling over, I intend to try some night shots.