East Lansing Development

hood

By the way, does anybody think it will look funny if the Campus Village 2 has a parking structure taller than the building itself? It said that Campus Village 2 would be 3 1/2 stories, but the parking structure would be 4 stories.

Parking ramps usually have low floors, I would think the ramp will end up being roughly the same height as the apartments.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article said that their will be ground floor retail and underground parking along with a four story parking structure. My guess for the reason for the parking structure is that there will be no room for additional surface lots as there is with their other buildings. It sounds like this will be a pretty quality development.

I heard word today that the land for the City Center 2 project, which is the Citizen's Bank, Scene Metrospace and Evergreen Grill, is being planned for demolition in fall 2006. After demolition, the land will be cleared and used as surface lots until funding is finalized for the construction of the development.

If I were to guess, I would expect construction starting Spring 2007. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Where did you hear it from? The only thing that makes me think it might be awhile is that they are talking about using the lot for parking, if they were really going to get this done soon it seems they would begin construction as soon as demolition is done. If they pave the lot then it may be a really long wait.

I went around taking some photos today, here is one The Beaumont.

I went by The Beaumont at about 6:30 and they were still working, they are planning on getting this thing done quick, as far as I know they plan on having all the apartment buildings, homes and townhouses done by the end of the summer and the condos done next spring or summer.

Beaumont1.jpg

Hood, I drive by The Beaumont and all that stuff every day, and I cant believe how fast it is going up. When I moved to Chandler Crossings last April there was NOTHING between Crossing Place apartments and Coolidge Road, and only about 2/3 of the homes that currently exist at Hawk's Nest.

I would really like to find more info on that "Coleman Corners" development that there is sign for at Coolidge and Coleman. Do you think you could get a close up of that sign and post it here sometime?

I would really like to find more info on that "Coleman Corners" development that there is sign for at Coolidge and Coleman. Do you think you could get a close up of that sign and post it here sometime?

Your wish is my command...i'll get a shot on my way home this afternoon. I'm curious to know if that is a concept or an actual plan that is depicted on the sign.

Also, I drove from State Road back to Coleman on Coolidge yesterday. I never realized how much acreage is available for development. I dont know the exact number, but there could be a whole ton of 1 story office structures litering that area before we know it.

Your wish is my command...i'll get a shot on my way home this afternoon. I'm curious to know if that is a concept or an actual plan that is depicted on the sign.

Also, I drove from State Road back to Coleman on Coolidge yesterday. I never realized how much acreage is available for development. I dont know the exact number, but there could be a whole ton of 1 story office structures litering that area before we know it.

Thats part of what I've been wondering, I never noticed a website or a company on the sign, but I've never really had a chance to get a good look at it either.

I also noticed how much land is available for development, for instance the new MSUFCU headquarters is going to be on a lot on West road, where West road doesn't even exist yet. There is much develoment to come, but one good thing is that even though these are suburban offices that I would rather see downtown, at least a portion of them are multistory.

Here are two pictures of signs up near Coleman and Coolidge Road. The Mercantile Bank of Michigan sign is located on Coolidge road about two blocks north of Coleman Road. Construction has already been started and I believe they are working on the foundation. The Coleman Corners sign is located at the corner of Coleman and Coolidge.

mercantile_bank.jpg

coleman_corners.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

The Maynard Propertiessite has nothing about "Coleman Corners" other than that it says under "other sites available, " Northwest and Northeast corners of Collidge and Coleman." If they marketed this porperty a little better it probably would already be built. It looks almost like a clone of Gaslight Village doesn't it? Must be the smae architect.

I was looking for that sign for Mercantile Bank and I couldn't find it, I wonder how I missed it. Post on here if you notice the thing starting to go above ground, please.

Wow that's awsome that Mercantile Bank is building in East Lansing. That building looks just like the one they build in Downtown Grand Rapids. It's good to see, because they are growing by leaps and bounds. Perhaps securing a future for Michigan banking that's not centered in Ohio or Chicago.

Overall I think Stonehouse village came out looking great minus one thing: I really think the windows on the first floor should have been much larger and more open, there should be little or no block, at least along Grand River.

I think the key to E.L. developement is keeping E.L. what it is...EL!!!

I grew up there remembering all these neat restaurants, stores, etc. that you didn't find anywhere else. I went home for the first time a few years ago and I didn't even recognize downtown! Instead of Grand River Books or Community Newscenter you had Barnes & Noble...Instead of Spartan Spirit or Sparty's Coney Island you have some upscale chain...Instead of Jersey Giant and the Riveria you have Olive Garden...

Point is EL was unique, it was an awesome place to go. Now it's like if I want all that garbage I'll just go out towards the Meridian or Lansing Mall. Why waste time trying to park downtown when I can get the same crap in any suburb?

Really it's sad, after living in the South I thought things were so much better 'up North' just to go home and see the same trends.

Sorry I just don't get this 'developement' mentality. There are reasons people love going dtown EL, and i guarantee you it's not because of live/work/play developements.

Archived