East Lansing Development

hood

I supprot the five stry development, but I'm not so sure it will be passed, the planning board didn't like it too much.

I do not support the four story development, the developer was forced to downsize from a 6 story development. He should either build that or tell the city to get screwed. It just doesn't make sense to build such a small building, especially if thats not what you really want to build.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was driving down Okemos Rd. near the Meridian Mall for the first time in seveeral months today when I noticed some townhouses, or condos or something along the North side of Central Park Drive. From what I could tell in driving by there were only two or 3 units. Are these part of a larger development? They looked quite out of place on their own. Just curious if anyone knew about this.

From the synopsis of last nights East Lansing City Council meeting:

17. Approved a Primary Site Plan: A further revised application from Links Entertainment Limited Partnership to modify the approved site plan for the former Four Winds Golf Course property at the southeast corner of Saginaw Street and Park Lake Road. The previously approved site plan included 404 condominium apartment units arranged in three-story buildings; the newly proposed site plan would provide 170 condominium apartment units arranged in five-story buildings. The property is zoned in the RM-8 Planned Unit Development District. Also added a 21st and 22nd stipulation to the Planning Commission

Another night, another proposal passed. Well kind of a proposal. The East Village Master Plan was passed tonight by the East Lansing Planning Commission. A few small things were changed or removed from the plan, including the mentioning of extending Dormitory Lane through the Farmhouse fraternity. The report now just mentions an east/west connection with MSU.

If you would like to look at the plan, you can go here: http://www.statenews.com/docs/EastVillage_020807.pdf (31 pages)

I expect to see a proposal for redevelopment by the end of spring at least. I know that the East Village has had a lot of controversy surrounding it, but there are many incentive to redevelop. New developments won't have to provide parking, they will be able to build up to 8 floors, with higher densities, build their property right up to the sidewalk. Many tax breaks and other incentives to redevelop.

They also mention extending the median on Grand River down to Hagadorn. Underground parking will be needed in many of the buildings, with over 2,000 parking spaces underground. Two parking garages visioned, with one being 4.5 floors and one 5 floors. Green roofs on many of the buildings and the parking garages. Mass transit is heavily focused on. I really like the East Village. It opens many doors to redevelopment in an area with demand far outreaching supply.

At the latest MSU Board of Trustees meeting, MSU regained control of the section of Farm Lane between Mt. Hope and Shaw Lane. This will allow them to construct the two railroad underpasses that they have recieved federal money for. Here is a before and a possible after sketch:

underpass2.jpg

underpass.gif

I drove down Coleman Road today and was surprised to see that The Beaumont is now under construction. This is a huge development, and it is a Gillespie project. With 80 row houses, 26 single family homes, 56 attached condominiums, and 272 luxury rental homes all over 40 acres.

The website is: http://www.thebeaumontlife.com/

If you thought traffic was bad on Lake Lansing and Chandler Road now, it is just the beginning. This project should be finished about Fall 2007 or Spring 2008. There is also a few other large developments right in that neck of the woods that are currently being built. I will try to get some pictures up in a week.

I'm really happy to see the Beumont get underway, I thought for sure the project was dead. As for traffic, they are not alone in their problems, all suburbs hae severe traffic problems. I really don't know what can be done about traffic issues in sprawling areas, cities and townships refuse to enlarge roads until it's way too late. Many times, main roads in the suburbs are nothing more the same two lane highways that served the farms that were once there, it's a joke.

I was just looking at the Autumn Park condo site and I looked at the virtual tours, each of the "large units" has it's own elevator. That would be nice... Check it out, click on "Virtual Tour ( Large Unit)": Autumn Park

It's not about the size of roads, it's how automobile-oriented a suburb is developed. North East Lansing sprawls, and thusly will always have horrible traffic. Barring developing a more walkable community in these sprawling areas, nothing will change, and people move to the suburbs for that reason. They don't care about walkable communities or they would move to more urban areas. So, for these communities, this isn't a "problem." It's just another part of suburban life.

I think the single largest reason people move to the suburbs is poor schools, not because they like bad traffic. Beleive me, most people would love to live in walking distance from shopping and entertainment, but their aren't any good options. It used to be you could live in the old part of EL but now thats been overrun by students. In Lansing the sole reason people leave is because of schools (the other reasons, i.e. crime, property values, ect... are largely a result of poor schools.) I hate living in the suburbs, my whole life I had a few stores and a few resturaunts within two blocks, now I have to drive to get a pop :( , it sucks to say the least. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to live within walking distance of these amenities.

Does anyone else think putting a night club in Downtown East Lansing would be feasible? For people who aren't 21, there isn't anything there since it is all bars and food places. East Lansing has bars for 21+ people, and house parties since it is a college town, but The Dollar is the only close night club, and college students always want places to go on thursday, fridays, and saturdays. A night club that caters to 18+, the area will become more lively and generate more money for the city and more attractions. That night club would make a lot of money since it would draw in huge crowds and because of the location it would be easy for people to get there. The Dollar is kind of far and yet students still manage to get there. There is so many surface parking lots that could be taken out to put a night club. And with taco bell moving to stonehouse, that spot could be perfect, especially with tha few parking lots that are not too accesible any ways.

I think the problem with East Lansing is the difference in profit if you have liquor and if you don't. East Lansing already is pretty much not giving out any more liquor licenses to any new applicants. Location determines alot, and if you are located in a college town where drinking is a large market, then you would want to take that market into perspective. I agree that East Lansing could support a Club Xcel, or a Club Remedy, but the problem is that those clubs won't make much money without a liquor license. East Lansing's nightlife is already pretty bustling, so the impact wouldn't be too large.

Urban outfitted

If approved, new laws could give Cedar Village area downtown feel

By BOB DARROW

The State News

mugshot

Beard

IMAGE COURTESY OF CITY OF EAST LANSING

When new buildings are constructed in the Cedar Village area, they probably won't look anything like what's already there.

City planners have prepared a draft of a new zoning law which specifies exactly what can and cannot be built in the area.

The proposal represents a dramatic shift from current building practices and the way the city writes zoning standards.

If the law is approved, buildings four stories or taller will become the norm. Right now, nothing is higher than four stories in the 35-acre East Village, located south of Grand River Avenue between Bogue Street and Hagadorn Road.

First-floor space will be almost entirely retail. A river walk will be created along Red Cedar River. Parking lots will be cut to a minimum in favor of ramps. Vinyl siding is out.

It's "not a suburban look," said Bob Owen, the city's planning and zoning administrator. The zoning aims instead to create an urban environment similar to downtown East Lansing.

The East Lansing City Council will introduce the law at its work session tonight. From there, it will head to the East Lansing Planning Commission for review, and it will then return to council for final approval.

Traditional zoning laws specify what uses

I saw an article in the SN today that a new clothing store is going into the old tower records/gibsons bookstore building storefront. I guess there is quite a controversy surrounding their hiring practices. Apparently they require a picture with the employment application, and only "model types" will be hired.

I saw an article in the SN today that a new clothing store is going into the old tower records/gibsons bookstore building storefront. I guess there is quite a controversy surrounding their hiring practices. Apparently they require a picture with the employment application, and only "model types" will be hired.

At a clothing store, especially a high-end one, I think that hiring only good looking people is a perfectly acceptable practice.

Here's where it gets dangerous, though. This can easily turn into something ugly such as hiring or locking out people because of their race like Abrocrombie & Fitch was doing, and doing it under the guise that they were hiring on looks. The minorities they did hire were given jobs in the back of the store. It's just too easy to hide under the guise of hiring people that "look good." I wouldn't expect the majority to realize this on their own, though, because they don't have to live this every day.

I think that a "common sense" policy would do. But ofcourse you could make the arguement that a store could hire certain races, obvious examples like Abrocrombie and Fitch and American Eagle hire whites, but what about Man Alive who I'v only seen black people working in? I think that as long as it isn't blatent racism the stores should be left to selectively hire people, at least within reason (thats where the "common sense" policy would come in).

Archived