New Tallest for New Orleans ?

Dale

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any new info on the new tallest ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building was originally planned to be 50 stories and 700 feet tall. Then it became 60 stories and around 800 feet tall. Now ive heard they are looking at 65 stories and 850 tall. Honestly, no one knows. There is a second building being planned by a different group of developers that could be 950 feet tall. And they are having a dispute over how tall the buildings should be. They both want to be able to say "our building is the tallest in the city".

But, there have been problems lately with developers planning hotels in the downtown/french quarter area and many people on the New Orleans city council dont seem to be in the mood for more developers. And the developers seemed to pick up on that. They are suposedly both reviewing there plans and designs and making sure everything is flawless before they propose them to the board.

They will be built, its just a question of how soon. The developers just need to present their plans accurately and show they have a great plan in place. If they do that, the buildings should be approved without any problems.

The building was originally planned to be 50 stories and 700 feet tall. Then it became 60 stories and around 800 feet tall. Now ive heard they are looking at 65 stories and 850 tall. Honestly, no one knows. There is a second building being planned by a different group of developers that could be 950 feet tall. And they are having a dispute over how tall the buildings should be. They both want to be able to say "our building is the tallest in the city".

But, there have been problems lately with developers planning hotels in the downtown/french quarter area and many people on the New Orleans city council dont seem to be in the mood for more developers. And the developers seemed to pick up on that. They are suposedly both reviewing there plans and designs and making sure everything is flawless before they propose them to the board.

They will be built, its just a question of how soon. The developers just need to present their plans accurately and show they have a great plan in place. If they do that, the buildings should be approved without any problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't it great to have a height race going in your city ? :)

Isn't it great to have a height race going in your city ?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LoL..its great :D (it would be even better if we knew for sure when they would be built) But its even better that the heights are at 850ft-950ft..and not 100-200 feet, like most of the hotels that go up in the city

IMO New Orleans probably has the best skyline and urban character in the South, at least in the aspects I find appealing, ie not just big new glass towers, but rather good architecture, height, infill, and historical preservation. I think if these two skyscrapers are done right, New Orleans will move up the ladder for most folks when it comes to skylines.

IMO New Orleans probably has the best skyline and urban character in the South, at least in the aspects I find appealing, ie not just big new glass towers, but rather good architecture, height, infill, and historical preservation. I think if these two skyscrapers are done right, New Orleans will move up the ladder for most folks when it comes to skylines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The key in that is "if these to skyscrapers are done right"...I think they will be, but I just dont want someone coming in and trying to make it look like old French architecture..and do a bad job at it and the whole building end up looking horrible. :angry:

But I hope they are just a mix of modern and old style architecture, not to flashy and exsessive, but not to boring and bland...just "nice" That would be great.

I have heard that the developers of the proposed 950ft mixed-use tower want to have a spire on their building...I think that would be nice, even nicer if the proposed 850ft tower also had one, like Philadelphia has done with their tallest buildings. It would add a little more modern style to N.O. which is a box city, but at the same time it would mix in nicely. We'll see the artists' renderings' for both buildings sometime soon. :)

It seems to be delayed for design changes. At least that's the rumor. I expect this to be built. Construction may be late to begin, however.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I will be built. The setbacks in the project will stop, and the developers will get it done. If only we knew when....

What 'setbacks' are you guys talking about ? I thought I'd read where they only just recently completed the purchase of the land on which it will be built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By Setbacks, i meant design changes and having to wait to propose the building to the regional planning committee. Nothing major at all.

The developers purchased the land it will be built on about a month ago, and they signed a lease for one year, construction is supposed to start when or close to when the lease expires.

• 7 months later...

Good question... I'd like to know too.

Yes, thankfully it is still going to happen. This is Trump's project. It will be 67 floors. Floorplan designs will be complete any day now, and pre-selling is set to begin in April with construction beginning toward the end of the year. According to Trump, the project is actually more stable today than it was before Katrina because of tax incentives put in place to encourage investment in New Orleans.

This also isn't the only highrise project in the works. Three other projects have been announced... two in the 25-30 floor range, and another in the 45-50 floor range. One such project, Vantage Tower, has almost reached it's pre-sales goals and should begin construction by later Summer '06. Also, the Plaza Tower conversion... a 45-50 floor project recieved partial financing a couple months ago. And, of course, you have the long-rumored mixed-use mega development by the river at Julia St... set to be the tallest ultimately at around 950'. We'll see what happens with that.

You can reference this thread for more info.

And finally, last month, the Port of New Orleans made 4 miles of riverfront available for development... presumably the future site of numerous high rise condo developments, parks, shops, and pavilions.

And finally, last month, the Port of New Orleans made 4 miles of riverfront available for development... presumably the future site of numerous high rise condo developments, parks, shops, and pavilions.

This will be very exiting to watch! :D

Who knows what the riverfront could look like in 2010?

Wow ! Looks the NEW New Orleans will really be impressive when all is said and done ! All along the riverfront is some of the highest land elevations . What will happen to the Port of New Orleans ? Did it have that extra 4-miles to give to development ??

Archived