McMansions Transforming Myers Park, Good or Bad?

monsoon

Are the New McMansions that are replacing the original homes Good or Bad for Myers Park  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are the New McMansions that are replacing the original homes Good or Bad for Myers Park

• Good
    • Bad
    • I don't care

Actually I believe that is the rubberized stuff made from old tires that looks like slate on the roof. Real slate would not have ridge vents and the perfectly symetrical edges of the same material

There is a big factory near Big Daddy's Seafood restaurant in Mooresville that cranks out that fake stone made of concrete and other by products of modern living. They do a booming business.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, it's always a little funny to think about the people who build these types of houses. they concentrate on them being so big that by the time they actually put together a budget and decide on the materials, they end up using a tacky stone veneer and fake slate roof made from recycled diapers. :lol:

sadly, i think the reason these mcmansions are being built is that someone reallized that you can make a lot of money based on price per square feet. I'm sure they did pick the size first and then decide on materials.

I am fully FOR tearing down post wwII houses, especially the asymmetrical ranch crap (a few still exist on Queens and Kings roads). I am accepting, ie not against, some tear down replacements of even nicer old homes if the replacement is something timeless and high quality. but to tear down a beautiful old mansion for this type of monstrosity is unforgivable.

Since they're so concerned about looking rich, you would think they would be concerned about using cheap, tacky materials. Anyone who is even slightly knowledgable about the materials will be able to tell that is isn't real stone, slate, etc. I guess it's just more important to take up the most space.

I spoke with the neighbor of that house about a year ago while working. He said the owner is a big-wig at Wachovia. Something to do with Personnel Operations or something like that. Is there anyway to find out who is building it? Maybe A2 could give us a job description if we had a name... Either way, I hope he has 3 wives and 12 kids to fill all that space. Will be one cold echoing house if its only a couple with 2 kids.

Also, how do you guys feel about all the high dollar condos going up on Roswell and Selwyn. In another 2 years there will be at least 5, 4+ story Condo buildings within a half mile of Queens and Roswell.

I think the person who it is being built for is named Don or Donald Johnson (no, not that actor).....I know nothing about what he does though.....maybe A2 can find out....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don R. Johnson.

And if I'm reading everything correctly, it looks like that monster of a house is going to have an elevator. How exciting.

http://meckcama.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/RELookup/Default.aspx

I think the person who it is being built for is named Don or Donald Johnson (no, not that actor).....I know nothing about what he does though.....maybe A2 can find out....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a great response to McMansions - target the owners & harrass them! :)

Though my neck of the woods is still a bit run down, I dread seeing these monstrosities in my neighborhood - as they've spread all over town (in Atlanta).

But it does bring up the question - how static should the city be? Even homes that we would consider to have obvious value - Victorians, were often torn down or converted into apartments in the early 1900's because they weren't 'modern'. Additionally, urbanization is most often a process of renewal - non-efficient structures are torn down in favor of structures that are not only more modern - but provide greater density.

The problem with these though is that they don't encourage greater population density. But for early suburban neighborhoods, splitting the lot to build additional homes is often taboo, though it conforms more with historical urban practices.

Ok - random thoughts there...

I am fully FOR tearing down post wwII houses, especially the asymmetrical ranch crap (a few still exist on Queens and Kings roads).  I am accepting, ie not against, some tear down replacements of even nicer old homes if the replacement is something timeless and high quality.  but to tear down a beautiful old mansion for this type of monstrosity is unforgivable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shame on you dubone! Mid-Century modern is hot! Lots of people said the same thing about bungalows and trashed them. While I don't disagree that there are ugly ranch houses here and there, quite a few are pretty damn cool

MF123645.JPG

MF151008.JPG

MF132031.JPG

AE100644.JPG

I'm gonna go out this weekend and get pics of my favorites in town. These are just some I have always liked. I actually tried to buy the second one, but the lady didn't want to sell. She did tell me she'd call me if she ever changed her mind...mostly because I appreciate the house she and her husband built in 1952 and I didn't want to tear it down to build a McMansion in its place.

:P

those make me cringe. :)

to me, ranch houses are the epitome of sprawl. they take up so much land area for a use than be accomplished in half the area by simply adding a second story.

they seem inspired by trailers or something. i dunno... they just make me cringe.

:P

those make me cringe.  :)

to me, ranch houses are the epitome of sprawl. they take up so much land area for a use than be accomplished in half the area by simply adding a second story. 

they seem inspired by trailers or something.  i dunno... they just make me cringe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least they're real. Built out of strong and sturdy materials. Quite unlike the house I lived in in First Ward that was built out of vinyl. Nothing like taking the barbeque grill out for a cook out and end up melting the house. :cry:

I didn't have the best of luck with Saussy-Burbank. I'll just leave it at that.

SR, I lived around the corner from the Brady house in Studio City, CA back in the mid-90s. Got a warm place in my heart for Jan.

Vinyl houses have another problem. Vultures. Seems the creatures think the vinyl on houses is a tasty treat and are right now causing problems in Monroe where they have eaten the eves and siding off a number of places. :lol:And these are bad dispositioned birds who don't like being run off from their food. They like to fight back.

I've heard very mixed things about Saussy Burbank.

Vinyl houses have another problem.  Vultures.  Seems the creatures think the vinyl on houses is a tasty treat and are right now causing problems in Monroe where they have eaten the eves and siding off a number of places.  :lol:And these are bad dispositioned birds who don't like being run off from their food.  They like to fight back. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a new one for me. I didn't know vultures liked eating vinyl siding.

• 1 month later...

It looks as if the teardown ->conversion to McMansion may have hit a stumbling block in Myers Park. This Article says that old time residents have found an obscure zoning law which has put a number of the McMansions on hold and have even required some of them to rip up construction. The developers and over the top homeowners of these monsters are furious and are trying to get the city to change the zoning. I wonder if they will be successful?

In the printed paper they show that on Maryland avenue there are at least 6 of these in process right now. I have not been on Maryland in a number of uses (used to live in that neighborhood) but I can imagine that it has been completely transformed into a street of Godzilla vs Megalon houses. Why do 2 people need 6000 sq ft?

• 4 weeks later...

Was doing some research and stumbled on this. Crowded land of Giants

Even Austriaila is having issues with McMansions. Here's a quote from the article to give you a feel for its tone:

Streetscapes are virtual walls of neat, look-alike, fridge-magnet, big-hair houses dominated by wow factors: big garage doors, big front doors with vaulted entries, feature porticos and columns, big windows with stick-on yellow fake windowpane strips, stick-on shutters, stick-on chimneys, glassy towers, gazebos and gable ornamentation galore.

"Big Hair Houses" :rofl: Gotta remember that term and use it often!

Archived