UNC Charlotte Campus Master Plan

jb4563

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd be hard pressed to find a campus that isn't "pushing LEED." You'd also be hard pressed to find a campus that thinks of LEED as anything but a marketing tool. I'm not saying there aren't people at UNCC that aren't genuinely interested in doing better by the environment, but they would sooner burn down a rainforest than let go of their stylistic expectations in favor of truly sustainable architecture.

As to Parking Decks and LEED, you've touched on a pretty ugly debate. The Santa Monica Civic Center is expected to be home to the first ever LEED parking deck. I agree, its a sad commentary on the weaknesses of LEED and its role in green washing.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on campus today, and saw that they got that whole area dug up/fenced off near the library/sac for the new quad area.

There is also some new green seating/tables on one of the sidewalks near the belk tower & between the colvard buildings

So I was reading on the O's website today about UNCC's neighborhood meeting and was a little disturbed by a comment made by a local resident:

"Students who are 18 to 21 years old really don't make the best neighbors," said Richmond Baker of the Wyndham Place neighborhood. "They are really disruptive to communities near school."

The Back Creek Church Road neighborhood is a two-mile drive from campus and has homes selling for as much as $250,000. Even so, Baker said, Wyndham Place and other neighborhoods near UNCC, including College Downs and Faires Farm, have many "frat houses" -- residents' nickname for rental homes occupied by several students.

Baker urged the university to partner with neighborhoods to find ways to reduce student rental housing. If it doesn't, Baker said, the university could end up surrounded by deteriorating neighborhoods dominated by low-income and student rental houses.

Wow, yeah that is one hell of a stereotype, not all of us are drunken, loud idiots, most of those end up at Campus Edge anyway. A lot of these old people never really accept people of my age group as legit adults. I mean you live in a neighborhood called UNIVERSITY CITY for crying out loud... this area was created for us.

Don't know if anyone has been on campus, but they have the street that runs through the Charlotte Research Institute all blocked off and redirected through the parking lot because they are installing brick crosswalks, as I mentioned in the Wachovia thread. Slightly inconvenient for the time being, but will be worthwhile. Also, I drove through the new entrance yesterday and must say that it is quite impressive considering what it used to be. Those large pillars really set a sense of place and make a statement for those driving on UCity Blvd. Looks good...

Wow, yeah that is one hell of a stereotype, not all of us are drunken, loud idiots, most of those end up at Campus Edge anyway. A lot of these old people never really accept people of my age group as legit adults. I mean you live in a neighborhood called UNIVERSITY CITY for crying out loud... this area was created for us.

Ha, that is a funny comment about Campus Edge, mainly because it is true and as a resident of Campus Edge I can attest to that....oh well, at least I can walk to campus...

I might have to take a little tour of campus and take some pictures of the construction, especially the new Student Union

Ha, that is a funny comment about Campus Edge, mainly because it is true and as a resident of Campus Edge I can attest to that....oh well, at least I can walk to campus...

I might have to take a little tour of campus and take some pictures of the construction, especially the new Student Union

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so there is a lot of work to cover here about campus.

1. The new entrance is open, and quite nice I might add. It really makes the campus look distinguished and suits its size well. They are still doing brickwork on the pillars towards the north end of campus, while the southern pillars need some touching up. The new sign is amazing too.

2. The student union is doing brickwork right now. The building is massive. They are about 2/3 done with brick and then there are the interiors. They are also putting brick down for the sidewalks across the street. There still seems to be some confusion between whether to close of Craver Rd. for pedestrians or to just make elevated cross-walks outside of the union.

3. The new bioinformatics building really makes an impact, especially when coming around Cameron Blvd. around the police station and Laurel hall. I love seeing how huge our campus is by just looking over at the CRI Campus from the northern end of campus.

4. The new quad in between the SAC and Library is leveled out. They are flying through this right now, so I wouldn't expect too much trouble come move in day and the start of classes.

5. According to the Chancellor's newsletter, EPIC is going through design and funding phases and should start next year I believe.

6. Also a new dormitory is going to be built in the parking lot in front of Lynch and Laurel halls, with a new deck to be constructed near the light rail station. The station is going to go across Cameron Blvd. from Laurel Hall.

That is about all I have for today. I wish I had time to take pictures, but my camera is broken and work takes up my day.

I was on campus yesterday (I just got accepted for the fall :D ) and I noticed a grassy area with walkways in the middle of what seems like the original campus with all the old buildings (there is that tall white pencil looking thing in the middle). Do they plan on fixing it up because it's looking pretty bad?

The new sign at the entrance is somewhat underwhelming. Does not seem that different from the old one just bigger and shinier. Maybe when the surrounding arches and brickwork are done, which look nice the context will fit better

Although the new sign isn't anything overwhelmingly astounding, I think it is much better than what was there before. Any examples of university signage that you would prefer to see over what was placed there?

EPIC is one of the buildings, along with the new BioInformatics building that has its vibrational concerns with the LYNX line that you hear in the reports about. These buildings are housing sensitive testing materials that will be heavily used on a research and testing level and they need to construct the buildings as well as the LYNX line to have minimal effects with eachother.

• 4 weeks later...

According to a recent campus newsletter, the UNC system gave CRI full funding for the EPIC building on July 10th which consequently gave will give clearance for the planning and design stages for the PORTAL (Partnership, Outreach and Research for Accelerated Learning) building and a second motorsports research building which will be the fifth and sixth non-administrative buildings to be built at the CRI campus to be rolled out before the end of the decade.

The new 400-bed residence hall to be built near the LRT station and accompanying 1,000-car LEED certified parking deck will both be completed in 2011 around the hypothetical time of LRT construction on campus.

The student union is becoming more and more formidable from the road connecting CRI to the main campus as the exterior comes closer to completion. The building has multiple levels on the exterior which gives the building a lot of depth and the interior courtyard is huge by comparison to anything else on campus. The front entrance is beginning to get its first bit of masonry and I really like how it looks.

On a side note, I found out that the new front entrance is officially named Dickson Gate after the Dickson Foundation Inc. who donated a large portion of the funding for the entrance along with Harris Teeter, Inc. I honestly would've expected Harris Teeter to donate money towards improving the entrance on UCB that intersects with the Harris Teeter shopping center to make grocery shopping more convenient for students on campus or even donate to improve the campus entrance to Harris Blvd for its namesake. Just a thought.

As for the uptown campus, has anybody heard anything? I remember reading that the renderings would be released about a week ago or something, although now I'm unable to find that article. The Chancellor's newsletter in June states "soon."

For an interesting read about the present status of campus and where priorities for the 2009 Master Plan are heading, check out this pdf from the Board of Trustees meeting in June.

Archived