NC Road Projects You Want To Be Funded and/or Done

cosmoboy

Which Road Projects in NC Do You Want to Be Funded and/or Done With?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which Road Projects in NC Do You Want to Be Funded and/or Done With?

• Painter Boulevard (Greensboro, I-73,I-85,I-40,I-840,I-785)
    • Winston-Salem Northern Beltway (W-S, I-74,I-274)
    • W-S PTI Airport Connector (W-S & GSO, ?)
    • Raleigh Loop (Raleigh, I-640)
    • Charlotte Loop (Charlotte, I-485)
    • Garden Parkway (Gastonia, ?)
    • Wilmington Northen Loop (Wilmington, I-140)
    • Fayetteville Loop (Fayetteville, I-295)
    • Durham Northern Parkway (Durham, ?)
    • Triangle Parkway (RTP, ?)
    • I-95 Widening and Tolls (NC)
    • Cape Fear Skyway (Wilmington, ?)
    • I-74 & I-73 (NC)
    • I-30 (NC)
    • I-26 Connector (Asheville, I-26, I-240)
    • I-785 (Greensboro to State line, I-785, US 29)
    • Monroe Connector (Monroe, US 74, I-30*)
    • Other Coastal Road Projects (Please List Below)
    • Other Mountain Road Projects (Please List Below)
    • Othe Piedmont Road Projects ( Please List Below)

They really need to do something with the I-40 / 52 cloverleaf interchange in Winston. Trying to merge from 52 to I-40 east or westbound can be a real challenge, especially during rush hour. This stretch of I-40 and the interchange is actually older than the rest of "new 40". This should have been updated during construction of the "new 40".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Collector/Distributor lanes (C/D) have worked very well down east on I-95 (US 64 and US 264 exits) and US 1 at I-40 in Cary. I think, i could be wrong, US 52 at I-40 should have enough room for a cloverleaf C/D upgrade but for Business 40 at 52, i dont think theres any room for an upgrade.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the new I-40 was built, they never replaced the US 52 overpass nor did anything to interchange. It would make sense to redo the interchange with CD lanes. CD lanes in Charlotte works pretty well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That 52 bridge over I-40 is pretty old (late 60's, early 70's?) Hopefully, if or when NCDOT gets around to rehabilitating that interchange, they will add C/D lanes. They also have C/D lanes on eastbound Business 40 at Silas Creek Pkwy, and these also seem to work nicely.

The merge and entrance lane under the bridge is so short, and it's like life or death if a 18 wheeler is trying to merge after exiting from US 52 and vice versa. I read somewhere Atlanta is trying to build a CD lanes system on I-285 so that the main I-285 will be use like express lanes while the CD lanes will be use for people going for short distances between exits. I don't know what ever happen to that idea.

From all I have read here, it sounds like the NCDOT needs to go back to school and learn how to build roads, and how to listen to the local people about the traffic that is there and expected. I485 in south Charlotte, the city tried to tell the NCDOT that their plan was too small, needed more lanes. NCDOT Oh no, this will be ok for the next 20 yrs. The day it open, it was obsolete. Now they said it will be

2012 before they can correct this mistake. Mean while people are in a parking lot on I485 twice a day causing more air pollution and the Feds saying they will cut off money for roads because we do not meet their pollution standards.

I am sure the same thing goes on all over NC. NCDOT does not listen to local road people all the time, which cost all of us in the long run. The NCDOT must

respond better to the road need of NC, stop spending on bad design roads. It is cheaper to build it right the first time.

If I operated a business like this I would be broke because no one would trade with an incompetent business.

If NCDOT has to go to every city in NC to fix roads that where not built right in the first place, maybe we need to correct the problem at NCDOT first.

NCDOT has been frustrating me for years. Our interchanges in the state as a whole are weak. I am guessing it is a money issue but come on look at how much land and space the spread out sprawling interchanges take up. Also NIMBYers have a big say in this issue as well.  When will NC grow up and leave the 1950's attitude behind. Look at our new interstates. 485 outdated the minute it opened. 440 the interchanges the 4 lanes is some sections when it should be no less than 6. Two business 40s (how confusing) in the Triad. Raise my taxes (I will give up 2 cents) on every dollar I spend on and in NC to fund NCDOT to grow up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We did vote for a tax increase some years ago for the the money to go into the state highway trust fund. In Raleigh our great house and senate has taken over a billion dollars out to fund their pork projects. No more tax increase until they lock the box on the highway trust fund to those poliiticans.

• 9 months later...

How about an interstate leg from Asheville that will connect a more direct route to Charlotte? Either across US 74 from I-26 to Gastonia OR down 321.

Other area that is in real need still, is from Charlotte downtown out US74. OUCH.

Going from Charlotte to Wilmington is horrible on hte Charlotte side. Rockingham to Charlotte is a 'slit-your-wrist' area. The closer to Monroe the worse it gets.

Maybe a newer freeway out US29 from charlotte? Independence Blvd is a trainwreck.

Kinda glad this got bumped back up because I was thinking of this topic a few days ago. Check out google maps (satellite) and look at all of the interchanges metioned above. It gives you a whole new outlook on the highspeed-cloverleaf-half and halfs and all of that.

It amazes me that 33 of the 47 votes on Urban Planet are for beltway/loop projects! Is the motivation for that really that you guys think beltways are good for cities, or just that you want the NCDOT funding to come to your city over some rural connection?

I think that the mythical I30, or the upgrade of US74 to a freeway between Asheville, Charlotte, and Wilmington will do more for Charlotte and NC than 485.

I am amazed by that too. There is nothing good about a beltway even thought he NCDOT insists on building them for huge sums of money.

Simply a case of people responding to what they see and have to deal with on a daily basis - some of those projects I'm eager to see done with.

The 485 under-design is well-covered here - the Atlanta experience is a cautionary tale that everyone seems to want to look away from, so I'm glad to see it pointed out here. We need to plan with a look farther out into the future with these projects, as most of the projects on this list are being designed or built in ways that will almost guarantee that they will need to be revised and revisited at vast expense in a decade, or two at most.

To NCDOT's credit, the local MPOs aren't always the most forward-thinking people - with needs sometimes being devoured by wants that are a tad (economically and environmentally speaking) questionable - like undeveloped land that could be opened up for development (watch out South Gaston/North York County). A project like an interstate-grade freeway linking Asheville, Charlotte and Wilmington (proposed on several occasions over the last 35-40 years), which has obvious transportation benefits (to several distinct regions of the state all at once), but more debateable quickie payoff potential still doesn't stand much of a chance (in spite of my vote for it - a theoretical I-30, which should be named something else IMO, has virtually no chance, and we should perhaps let a logical idea die a natural death, and shift the focus towards a rail link between the cities that might actually generate usage instead).

Sections of I-85 are terrifying, and someone, somewhere needs to make getting this done, properly and as quickly as possible, a very high priority. Visiting family, I drive Chapel Hill to Concord regularly, and I will drive a great distance out of the way, on 2-lane roads to avoid this whenever possible - the Spencer-to-Lexington stretch of 85 will terrify like few interstates I've driven.

Back to beltways - not every city needs one, but I can see the logic behind most, if not all of the ones planned. I just would hope, and expect taxpayers should demand, that they be planned and built to do what they are supposed to do, and I don't know if that's really what we have happening.

Sadly, that Spencer to Lexington widening was just about to be started as a design-build project that might be half done by now. But it was put on hold for many years when NCDOT decided to pull back money from the urban divisions to pay back the rural divisions. I sure hope they build it soon. Once that is done, plus the parts already under construction through Spencer and Salisbury, the only part lacking widening and modernization (between Gastonia and Durham) will be the part through Cabarrus and just into Rowan.

Last time I went to Charlotte the ride was cool up until Salisbury. I think the lanes actually went from six to four once you got closer to Charlotte. How much since does that make. Our DOT....man I tell ya it is frustrating. However that was like nine years ago:D

Last time I went to Charlotte the ride was cool up until Salisbury. I think the lanes actually went from six to four once you got closer to Charlotte. How much since does that make. Our DOT....man I tell ya it is frustrating. However that was like nine years ago:D

Yea, well, here's what makes even less sense: those six lanes are about to turn to eight making 85 essentially an hour glass from Rowan to Mecklenburg.

Cabarrus County, the county NCDOT forgot.

I do wish they would stop building 540 here. Upgrading capital boulevard to a freeway would be cheaper and more beneficial than building a monster loop. Because of the current terminus of 540, this would supplement it pretty well.

Upgrading capital boulevard to a freeway would be cheaper and more beneficial than building a monster loop. Because of the current terminus of 540, this would supplement it pretty well.

Not true. Upgrading an existening highway is very costly and takes a LONG time to fix (Independance Blvd in Charlotte is one example). Capital between I-440 and I-540 should be a "jersey" freeway while north of I-540 should be a freeway to I-85 in Henderson.

I just would hope, and expect taxpayers should demand, that they [loops]be planned and built to do what they are supposed to do, and I don't know if that's really what we have happening.

If you mean to divert regional thru traffic to circumfrential loops, then no it's not what we have happening. All our loops do is to serve future development and commuter traffic.

Sadly, that Spencer to Lexington widening was just about to be started as a design-build project that might be half done by now. But it was put on hold for many years when NCDOT decided to pull back money from the urban divisions to pay back the rural divisions. I sure hope they build it soon. Once that is done, plus the parts already under construction through Spencer and Salisbury, the only part lacking widening and modernization (between Gastonia and Durham) will be the part through Cabarrus and just into Rowan.

Too bad - one of the worst streteches of interstate I've ever driven. The Cabarrus stretch of 85 - in a weird way - does make one seriously contemplate alternative ways of getting places - at the wrong time of day, you might be able to get into Charlotte faster by jogging.

If you mean to divert regional thru traffic to circumfrential loops, then no it's not what we have happening. All our loops do is to serve future development and commuter traffic.

As I suspected, though I'm thinking that is probably true everywhere. I know - just from a few articles in the Charlotte Observer - that developers are already casting affectionate glances towards south Gaston County, in anticipation of the Garden Pkwy. It's going to be a feeding frenzy down there :(

Yea, well, here's what makes even less sense: those six lanes are about to turn to eight making 85 essentially an hour glass from Rowan to Mecklenburg.

Cabarrus County, the county NCDOT forgot.

Sounds like the I-40 bypass between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. I-40 is 8-10 lanes in Greensboro, and 6 in Winston, with four between the two. Why didn't the NCDOT build this with six lanes from the get-go? I-85 between GSO and Lexington is roughly 10-12 years older, and is six lanes. With the Dell plant and the sprawl, this stretch of highway is getting too crowded. Did they think this would remain rural forever? I wonder if NCDOT will ever consider widening this stretch, like they did in Durham? It looks like they would have room to add a lane on each side by paving over the median, like the Durham stretch, avoiding a costly reconstruction of the roadway.

Sounds like the I-40 bypass between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. I-40 is 8-10 lanes in Greensboro, and 6 in Winston, with four between the two. Why didn't the NCDOT build this with six lanes from the get-go? I-85 between GSO and Lexington is roughly 10-12 years older, and is six lanes. With the Dell plant and the sprawl, this stretch of highway is getting too crowded. Did they think this would remain rural forever? I wonder if NCDOT will ever consider widening this stretch, like they did in Durham? It looks like they would have room to add a lane on each side by paving over the median, like the Durham stretch, avoiding a costly reconstruction of the roadway.

Well, luckily for G-WS, there aren't near as many commuters between the two of them as there are suburban husbands and wives driving into Charlotte from KannapaCord in Cabarrus. I don't understand the reasoning for widening anything in Rowan county other than immediately around Salisbury; but that's just me. Come to think about it, I don't think there is a full six-lane roadway anywhere in Cabarrus County. Maybe there is some stupid urban planning rule they have that is a catch 22.

I know one thing, whenever they get around to widening I-85 in Cabarrus Co., I hope it doesn't take as long to finish like the sections being widen in Rowan and Durham Counties, It's been like what, 6-7 years and they're still not finished, lol, and the development along that corridor isn't going to slow down and wait for them to finish. :P

Our largest and most identiable city does not have at least 6 lanes on 85 leading into Charlotte. Is that what you guys are telling. Like I said it has been a long time since I drove that strectch and I thouhgt for sure it would have been widen or improved or something by now. What about 77. Is it any better. Not only that but the whole us74 thing and just now talking about a Charlotte to Raleigh connection...things seem a little backwards to me. Yes I defend eastern NC when the time is right but I do have enough smarts about me to know that people can only take sitting in traffic and having limited choices out and in the city for so long. Will these problems lead to a slowdown for Charlotte. I know the air quaility is not that great as it is. Things to think about. Can't be a national city with primative infrastructure.

Archived