Roanoke Pictures

electricmonk

Rumors about a Office tower, if it is to be, this is where it would sit (Motel on Bullit next to Elmwood Park)

2006_02040098.jpg

Another view...

2006_02040101.jpg

A building I've never noticed was there...

2006_02040102.jpg

View from Jefferson Street

2006_02040103.jpg

Boxley Building

2006_02040104.jpg

Variety of buildings

2006_02040105.jpg

another view from Jefferson Street

2006_02040106.jpg

Cool old building

2006_02040107.jpg

Old Signage, in the Parking lot a 4-5 Story building is planned

2006_02040108.jpg

Stepping up to the big one

2006_02040109.jpg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A note about the Patrick Henry Hotel. The plans are to turn it into an assisted living building. I would love for it to be transformed into lofts or condos but that's not going to happen. But then again going by previous history even if they did turn it into condos I would never be able to afford it. None of the projects announced in the last couple of years have been geared towards people that actually work for a living. Every time I see the term "upscale" a part of me dies. Unfortunately that's the most popular phrase for developments these days. Every restaraunt, club, store, apartment, etc. is announced as "upscale".

Also a heads up. I'm getting ready to start a new website and when I do I'm moving all my non-punk rock photos to the new site so when I do all my photo's here will go dead. Also I'm adding a watermark to all my photos. As I've stated before and on all my websites I have no problem with people using my photos. The only thing is that I ask people to please give me credit for my photos. And of course to let me know if they are using it in any sort of commercial application. On more than one occasion I've come across people using my photos and claiming them as their own so I'm going to be more aggressive on protecting my copyright in the future.

None of the projects announced in the last couple of years have been geared towards people that actually work for a living. Every time I see the term "upscale" a part of me dies. Unfortunately that's the most popular phrase for developments these days. Every restaraunt, club, store, apartment, etc. is announced as "upscale".
That's a clasic Roanoke buzzword. Almost as popular as "outlet," but even less meaningful.

yeah monk, ive had the same thing happen to my pictures, i personally have about 3,000 pictures of Roanoke and the Surrounding area, so its hard to keep up with them. I cant Figure out how to get a copyright on mine.

I got a picture of the Campbell Court Lofts, which ill post later.

seriously, its more lofts and junk. Has Roanoke forgotten the basic needs these people will have? Easy access to food, drug stores and the like? Not everyone will want to drive to Towers (probably the closest) just to go shopping.

Infrastructure does not come after growth, they usually happen hand-in-hand. And I have not seen any signs of supermarkets, convience stores, or even a bodega opening downtown. And I could kill for a bodega.

More of the same. Great idea, bad implementation.

By the way, the Mayor's Monument is a lie. It's a curse upon this town.

Check it out for yourself: forgotten-roanoke.com

Bad news... Factory 324: "That next phase is 324 Salem Avenue-literally in Campbell Garage Loft's backyard. The building, once the famous Iroquois Club, is to be historically renovated, as well, into an additional 15 units of loft-style housing." bizjournal.com

more luxury living, just where no one really wants it.

I understand your frustration with the lack of development that is accessible to the average person. I also couldn't agree more that downtown needs more ammenities, particularly a grocery store. However, development follows money. I am not going to open a business in a ghost town and hope people will come. Once a critical mass is reached in terms of people living downtown, you will see an explosion of growth. This has already started to happen. The businesses on and around Campbell on the opposite side of Jefferson from the market have come since the old Norfolk Southern building was converted to apartments. Development almost always starts with higher end stuff and that is good because it brings in folks who have money to spend thus allow businesses to thrive. The less expensive infill will come in time. It will probably need to be new construction though because upgrading these old neglected buildings takes a LOT of money. If you want them preserved, it will likely have to be higher end. Also, there must be people who want it because the stuff seems to be selling. Honestly, we should hope that trend continues.

Bad news... Factory 324: "That next phase is 324 Salem Avenue-literally in Campbell Garage Loft's backyard. The building, once the famous Iroquois Club, is to be historically renovated, as well, into an additional 15 units of loft-style housing." bizjournal.com

more luxury living, just where no one really wants it.

Doesn't that neighborhood have a problem with...um...prostitution? ;)

How are luxury condos supposed to work around that?

A note about the Patrick Henry Hotel. The plans are to turn it into an assisted living building. I would love for it to be transformed into lofts or condos but that's not going to happen. But then again going by previous history even if they did turn it into condos I would never be able to afford it. None of the projects announced in the last couple of years have been geared towards people that actually work for a living. Every time I see the term "upscale" a part of me dies. Unfortunately that's the most popular phrase for developments these days. Every restaraunt, club, store, apartment, etc. is announced as "upscale".

It definitely seems as though all this residential growth in downtown is aimed at the 'upscale' market, but I'd just like to point out that Roanoke's cost of living to wage ratio is the lowest in the state and 11th lowest in the nation. That means you get more way more bang for your buck, especially compared to northern va, even as far south as Fredericksburg/spotsylvania county. These upcale luxury apartments/condo's in roanoke cost the same as tax credit housing/old dumps in Fredericksburg. And in Fredericksburg you have to drive 2 hours each way through congestion on I95 to get to a job that will allow you to afford one of these places. Teachers in spotsylvania can't buy houses there, they have to commute from Caroline county just to afford a little ranch.

So in perspective, these upscale residences in downtown Roanoke are probably more affordable to most middle class roanokers than middle class housing is to people in NOVa making twice as much money.

So in perspective, these upscale residences in downtown Roanoke are probably more affordable to most middle class roanokers than middle class housing is to people in NOVa making twice as much money.
Still, they're still out of reach for the average middle-class Roanoker, and that's not good.

Archived