WOLO's Coming back to Columbia

After being housed in Fox Charlotte WCCB-TV's studios for a few years, ABC 25 WOLO-TV will move back to its hometown.

The Full Article:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/12039301.htm

The Blurb:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/12043196.htm

General manager Chris Bailey said the station's ratings were better this past season, allowing the station to move back. The ratings gap between WOLO and front-runners WIS and WLTX had widened when the station moved north.

It's a smart move, and I know Bahakel tried to save money by housing the two in the WCCB studios but they're just far and it makes more sense to be in the hometown

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its about time. Maybe they will get some people that acutally know what is going on. Plus, it is kind of embarassing to have a station based in Charlotte.

1200 Main is SouthTrust isn't it? Its either that or the smaller tower that waccamatt (i think) said was to be turned into apartments/condos.

Its about time. Maybe they will get some people that acutally know what is going on. Plus, it is kind of embarassing to have a station based in Charlotte.

1200 Main is SouthTrust isn't it? Its either that or the smaller tower that waccamatt (i think) said was to be turned into apartments/condos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its the building to be turned into condos.

IMO, WIS has had the local news market locked down for a long, long time. Nobody else can touch the production values of their newscasts and the talent just isn't there on the other stations. However, I think there's a real opportunity for somebody to steal a serious share of the market. There's something to be said for providing local info-tainment programming, but the stuff WIS is doing lately is just so over the top it's stupid.

Why can't there be a station with high production values that authentically delivers the *news* with excellence? It doesn't have to be a big emotional production all the time. On a related note, what is the deal with Hannah Nelson? She's a cartoon.

Exactly. Seems like WIS has been political correctness puke city insofar as what they pick for their lead story for a good while, so I've been avoiding them and mostly watching WLTX... some WOLO... I usually click back and forth a bit. Great production values? Sure... but when they thought/think stuff like the Confederate flag issue or some protest march with 40 people in it is the most important thing going on... night after night after night... they lose me totally.

I'm glad WOLO is returning to Columbia and it would be excellent if they put in one of those ground level studios (like on the Today show) with large windows; so downtown citizens could gawk and wave to the cameras during live broadcasts.

I'm glad WOLO's moving back too (I agree about WIS - they're getting way too cutesie, ack! ack!) but: They moved SC State Credit Union out of their downtown office! The CU was "my" bank and I could walk there on my lunch hour to do business. They are not relocating within the downtown area - closest office is now the one on Huger.

Bites.

Archived