Downtown Grand Rapids Development Updates

GRDadof3

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this included in Christman's three buildings or in addition to it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you look at the rough rendering that Spectrum released a couple of months ago, the Cancer Pavilion is in addition to the Christman project (the blanked out building to the left).

16FEADA0D9CE11D9826F67AF18F73B1D.jpg

I should add that this is looking South as if from I-196 ;) It will be a big long ass-end of a parking ramp from Lafayette to Division for inbound I-196 commuters. Oh well.

I thought that they made it larger. The original plans seemed to be quite small and I heard this on the radio this morning. Good to see that they did.

At least someone in town is willing to take a risk and build for the future.

Now, how is the other project. You would think that they would build them at the same time, since it looks like the buildings and ramp will be part of the Spectrum site.

OK - found my own answer - looks like both are SOLID.

"Meanwhile, the Christman Co. in Lansing and RDV Corp. in Grand Rapids were developing plans for multi-million dollar medical towers on the north side of Michigan Street NE, next to the cancer pavilion. A deal struck with those developers meant pavilion designers could think bigger.

"A pretty complicated real estate transaction has allowed (the pavilion) to have a larger footprint. Now it straddles our property and the developers' property," Van Vranken said.

The developers will build a 2,300-car parking ramp below the cancer pavilion that will also serve the $120 million three-tower complex approved by Grand Rapids officials last month."

I thought that they made it larger.  The original plans seemed to be quite small and I heard this on the radio this morning.  Good to see that they did.

At least someone in town is willing to take a risk and build for the future.

Now, how is the other project.  You would think that they would build them at the same time, since it looks like the buildings and ramp will be part of the Spectrum site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think logistically there is more involved, since they have to relocate everyone in the Towers building for a year or more of construction. If this Cancer Pavilion is supposed to be done by Fall 2007, they will probably go consecutively, boom boom boom (I would guess, but what do I know :P )

If you look at the rough rendering that Spectrum released a couple of months ago, the Cancer Pavilion is in addition to the Christman project (the blanked out building to the left). 

16FEADA0D9CE11D9826F67AF18F73B1D.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ahhh so thats why it looks like a grey blob, I was worried it would look like something out of GRCC's campus :P

^I do a Yahoo Image search through their databases, great resource.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Rizzo. Still nothing. I also noticed today that Second Story Properties has a sign on the old garage/gas station near the Red Geranium on Michigan, and a manufacturing warehouse next to Icon on Bond. I would be very surprised if they renovate these buildings like they usually do, because they are pretty unremarkable. Do I hear new construction in Second Stories future for these sites?

Edit: Looks like the Anderson Metal Services facility at 648 Bond (next to Moch's property) was sold to Bond Street Investors LLC last May. Address is 15 Ionia. Hmmmmm.

In regards to the two Second Story buildings, Anderson Metal Services has totally vacated 648 Bond (I didn't take photos inside). The garage door was open and there was nothing but a couple of cars.

B8324E70F85A11D99B9F01BB18F73B1D.jpg

I think it used to be owned by Howard Hansen, who now works for Blue Bridge Ventures.

The other one is at Prospect and Michigan:

C2CD7490F85A11D98A326DE018F73B1D.jpg

Who knows, could be nothing. Anyone know the "story"...

This has a nice kind of Prairie style to it. I like it, but as always with me, it is all about the materials used. I'm sure this is an early rendering.

As far as a hotel, I would imagine any hotel would be small and would cater to hospital visitors, not the downtown convention scene.

I just hope the 11 story building has a bold west-facing facade. I was driving down 196 yesterday and looking the area it will occupy it could make a nice statement with VAI phase II!

Joe

Here is the best rendering I could find of the new Cancer Center looking at the Michigan Street elevation.  Not bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right now that you mention it. It does have a prairie style to it. It is nice that it isn't just a big box, but terraces down to the West to follow the hill. And looking at the rendering in my hand, that looks like ledgestone at the base, and as trim on the vertical sections ;) I wonder if the whole complex will have the same style?

You are very lucky to be in GR, down in Lansing we can't even get perfectly feasible, and needed, projects off the ground. like a new downtown hotel, Lansing Center expansion or much of anything else. We have so much potential but no big money to back projects, just GM and the State, which are both worthless. The volume of projects up there is amazing, are they really filling all that space?

Indeed. All of the developments we talk about that are not vapor have tenants waiting in line. It is a great thing. I hope Lansing can turn it around. All of the cities in Michigan reflect on each other in the greater view of things around the country.

Joe

You are very lucky to be in GR, down in Lansing we can't even get perfectly feasible, and needed, projects off the ground. like a new downtown hotel, Lansing Center expansion or much of anything else. We have so much potential but no big money to back projects, just GM and the State, which are both worthless. The volume of projects up there is amazing, are they really filling all that space?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GRBJ has this juicy stuff today:

Michigan Street Medical Towers Phase I to start construction this fall, 11 story tower fronting Division to start first, with an 8 story tower just to the East to follow. Phase II (including demo of Towers Building) to begin after that and take 2 years. 700,000 square feet total (not including Lemmen-Holton Cancer Center). 80% will be most likely be leased to Spectrum.

VAI Phase II to start Spring 2006 and take 2 1/2 years, adding 400 new labs.

Rumors: possible $2 billion endowment/partnership for VAI with Karmanos Cancer Institute of Detroit; surface lots to the East of GVSU Life Sciences most likely spot for new MSU Med School, about the same size as GVSU's building.

And Jack Buchanan being quoted about the development possibilities for the GR Press building (interesting :whistling: )

See above post^^^ ...and Sam Cummings has said that they are getting so many calls on the Fitzgerald already they have expanded the project slightly, without any marketing. They have taken 15 reservations already. Hmmmmmm.

While sites along Michigan Street would be a logical location for the MSU Med School, I would really like to see something closer to the core. Say the corner of Division and Crescent. I think there are a few empty building along division (including the old Mercantile Bank) that could be torn down. There is quite a large plot if put together. I know that Ferris has its eyes on the old Rapid Terminal lot on Ionia, but that would be a great spot too.

I hope they can fit some retail/restaurants up there on the hill as they go along, otherwise it going to be pretty stark.

I noticed a billboard for the Fitz on 196 just west of downtown. I

Archived