Downtown Grand Rapids Development Updates

GRDadof3

There is a scale model of the entire Michigan Street Medical Buildings (including the new four tower complex, Cancer Center, and Children's Hospital) floating around town. Does anyone know where it is displayed? Is it at VAI or in Spectrum somewhere? I have seen a photo on one of the news websites, but can't find it now, and I would like to post some photos here.

Please let me know if you have seen it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Better renderings of the 700,000 square foot Medical Towers Complex by RDV and Christman Companies, projected to create 2000+ medical jobs, and anchor the Western end of the Michigan Biosciences/Smartzone Corridor (Also will be the largest portion of the area referred to as Pill Hill, Medical Mile, Healthcare Hill):

13266F602EE711DA91C5409B18F73B1D.jpg

14CE7A102EE711DA93B474BF18F73B1D.jpg

184355802EE711DAA18FC94818F73B1D.jpg

178B77302EE711DA93437A3618F73B1D.jpg

CBE6B0602EE611DA96D8525618F73B1D.jpg

13BA72002EE711DA9478FCAF18F73B1D.jpg

Landscaping/Streetscape Plans

1A40FA402EE711DABC5C624518F73B1D.jpg

1BC8D2C02EE711DAB017DBC918F73B1D.jpg

1D6851F02EE711DAB5286EBD18F73B1D.jpg

I'm sure there are other "firsts" or "only's". :)

In sending some arts links to snoogit, I remembered another first.

The Schubert Male Chorus has been in continuous operation longer than any other male chorus in the United States (1883 to present)

(no, I am not a member)

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Who's the Architect? This looks nice.

I'm still searching. If someone can make it to the hearing tomorrow at 1:00 PM, 2nd floor, 1120 Monroe City Planning Office, you can probably find out. It's much better than the original plan for Building B as part of that project:

southelevb.jpg

Gotcha.

I think this is the site that butts right up to 196 anyway, so the building wont be destroying views or towering over someone's house.

Yah, they pretty much removed any objectors. The architect is Richard Craig of Craig Architects, Inc.. No website that I could find?? Here is more from the original article, but I've heard that they are having trouble getting approval to add 4 operating rooms because it takes business away from local hospitals, and since they don't HAVE to take Medicaid patients, it shifts the burden of Medicaid to the hospitals as well. We'll see how that goes:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:5hYQ2-9...ds+health&hl=en

The original plan had 4 floors, but it looks more like 10 floors now with the parking ramp.

Sorry, make that 8 or 9 floors.

Does anyone know who did the US XChange Building on Grandville (now Choice One)? Was it Rich Craig? Something tells me it was, which would explain the similarities. Plus, if you look at the posted artists rendering, but then look at the South elevation in the agenda packet, they are quite a bit different. The South rendering is much more impressive, and looks like they added a couple more floors of parking on the West end.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/meeting.p...423&type=agenda

The developer of what could be downtown's tallest building has told the city he needs $1.8 million in public money or the $80 million project is a no-go.

Grand Rapids Press article: http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...1040.xml&coll=6

Already a step ahead of you, ZachariahDaMan. :P Check out the Riverhouse thread below. ;)

I read something about the Helen Devos Children Hospital that I didn't know, it has the largest and busiest neonatal intensive care unit.

Muskegon Chronicle article: http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/inde...4500.xml&coll=8

I have a cousin who lives in the UP (other UP) and he and his wife drove their son down to the Children's Hospital here and stayed two weeks for issues with his heart (6 hour drive). It's quite the place!

Wow, they drove pretty far down. I would of thought there is somewhere closer then 6 hours away that they could go.

Not to get too far off of topic, but no. There isn't even a facility as good in the Detroit area for the condition he had (don't remember exactly, but it was something with his heart). They had either Mayo, or here.

Wow, they drove pretty far down. I would of thought there is somewhere closer then 6 hours away that they could go.

I had a son that was in the Neonatal Intensive Care for 5 1/2 months at DeVos. I was there every day and I can speak very intelligently about it.

DeVos is THE hospital in Michigan for Neonatal care. It is the 3rd best Neonatal unit in the nation with only Charlotte, NC and one other being better. U of M sends kids up here for care. If a baby is born in Michigan and there is any trouble that the local hospital can't handle, they are sent to DeVos. I remember them flying kids in by helicopter from Traverse City and points beyond.

To my sadness, my son didn't live. But many others have lived because of the care provided there. I thank God every day for that hospital. They are the best I've ever seen. I know a lot of people knock the DeVos families and other philanthropists but its because of them that my son got the care that he did while he was alive. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Since the children's hospital was renamed DeVos it sort of diminishes what Gerber did for that hospital. They are the ones that gave the original money for the NICU and Pediatrics units. They deserve a lot of credit too.

Nitro

Archived