IN PROGRESS: The Dynamo House (Heritage Harbor)

Curious what the parcel labeled as "Cumberland Farms" on the bottom of the map picture is all about. Does CF own that land already and use it for shipping/storage, or can I hope and dream they will build a HQ there???

It's part of the gas distribution system for their Gulf Stations.

I think that map mostly outlines major property owners more than any proposed projects.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the stacks will be lit - very cool.

The one slide show shows what I believe looks like a parking garage to the north. I'm too technology challenged to post it, but it's one of the slides on their website under the "development' page. It's a brown structure depicted on the immediate left edge of a frontal view in that slide...

but thats pretty much a "failed" established brand and it conotates a downtrodden area

"Providence" was a failed brand not too long ago, but we didn't rename the city (Lynn, MA actually proposed renaming itself not too long ago). I don't like the name because there are too many "Providence's" around now, Providence Piers, Providence Place, Providence Point, East Providence Waterfront, Port of Providence... The brand is actually getting diluted. Point is also confusing, Fox Point, Fields Point, Point Street... I'd like Davol Landing, or South Street Station, South Street Landing, isn't Dynamo House itself enough of a brand for that location? Arguably this is part of Davol Square, the various phases are on either side of the current Davol Square complex (and as I pointed out, the Davol Square moniker crosses Eddy Street already). And why tear off a part of the Jewelry District and rename it? This development is going to want to play off the restuarants on Richmond, the Children's Museum, other future development in the JD, why disassociate itself from that?

"Providence" was a failed brand not too long ago, but we didn't rename the city... I don't like the name because there are too many "Providence's" around now, Providence Piers, Providence Place, Providence Point, East Providence Waterfront, Port of Providence... The brand is actually getting diluted.

And why tear off a part of the Jewelry District and rename it? This development is going to want to play off the restuarants on Richmond, the Children's Museum, other future development in the JD, why disassociate itself from that?

Ok, I'll bow to a more compelling argument when I see one. I'm coming around to your point of view. That said, I'd still, if I were SBER, avoid the "Davol" name. I know it technically applies to the other buildings and gas station ( :rolleyes: ) there, but I sent someone to the photo place in the 10 Davol Building across the street from the main Davol Square complex (if that whole area is Davol Square, then what is the formal name of the complex? Davol Square at Davol Square?), and he came back to me and said, "I wandered Davol Square for over a half hour and couldn't find it. Where is it?" I said, "No, across the street." And he replied, "Oh, I thought you said Davol Square!?!?"

Therein lies part of the problem.

- Garris

"I wandered Davol Square for over a half hour and couldn't find it. Where is it?" I said, "No, across the street." And he replied, "Oh, I thought you said Davol Square!?!?"

Therein lies part of the problem.

Well as you've pointed out, that's a problem all over town, i.e. what the hell is Summit, Hope Village..? When I moved here it took a lot of looking at maps to figure out where Wayland Square was.

When I worked in Davol Square, someone in my office was trying to find out where Richmond Square was, an office full of native RIers didn't know.

Curious what the parcel labeled as "Cumberland Farms" on the bottom of the map picture is all about. Does CF own that land already and use it for shipping/storage, or can I hope and dream they will build a HQ there???

Cumberland Farms owns the two large brick warehouses on Allens Ave (traditionally known as the Shepard and the Atlas Warehouses). I think they still use them although they are unfortunately pretty rundown looking.

"Providence" was a failed brand not too long ago, but we didn't rename the city (Lynn, MA actually proposed renaming itself not too long ago). I don't like the name because there are too many "Providence's" around now, Providence Piers, Providence Place, Providence Point, East Providence Waterfront, Port of Providence... The brand is actually getting diluted. Point is also confusing, Fox Point, Fields Point, Point Street... I'd like Davol Landing, or South Street Station, South Street Landing, isn't Dynamo House itself enough of a brand for that location? Arguably this is part of Davol Square, the various phases are on either side of the current Davol Square complex (and as I pointed out, the Davol Square moniker crosses Eddy Street already). And why tear off a part of the Jewelry District and rename it? This development is going to want to play off the restuarants on Richmond, the Children's Museum, other future development in the JD, why disassociate itself from that?

i like your point about using the word providence in too many things

but think about how many things carry the "BOSTON" moniker up in MASS

and they are very succesful...

I like providence in the name for this development because i believe this will be a flagship destination of the city for many years to come and it will be something that it markets itself upon in the future

other developments could use a bit more creativity though

Hi everybody.

I wanted to weigh in on developers' rebranding. Especially here in Rhode Island, as attuned as everyone is to their history (or is it nostalgia?), places tend to go by their former names REGARDLESS of rebranding attempts. (I am surprised that Providence Place is not still called by some the Rhode Island State Prison...)

It seems as if Dynamo House, which is not incorrect but certainly generic, would be understood better by locals as "South Street Station." It's not really a Landing (renderings with sailboats aside), marginally a Point--for the district I vote with filosofia for Old Harbor. My guess, though, is that we will all refer to the building as Heritage Harbor once it's open.

Struever Bros. have actually done a fairly decent job with name legacies: Royal Mills is Royal Mill; There WAS once something somewhere near Rising Sun with that name. We should start worrying, though, when Foxes, Quails, and Whispering Tree-Species start to show up.

(I am surprised that Providence Place is not still called by some the Rhode Island State Prison...)

It seems as if Dynamo House, which is not incorrect but certainly generic, would be understood better by locals as "South Street Station."

As a local, I would refer to PPM as the former URI extension, and South St as Davol Sq. :huh:

As a local, I would refer to PPM as the former URI extension, and South St as Davol Sq. :huh:

Right. Davol Square for the area--except for the failed-commercial connotations. Does anyone know if the "Square" part of the name was added in the 80s?

So many names, so much history!

Right. Davol Square for the area--except for the failed-commercial connotations. Does anyone know if the "Square" part of the name was added in the 80s?

So many names, so much history!

Just for the record, Davol itself didn't fail, they moved their manufacturing (kind of like everyone else in Providence after the war) to cheaper locations and then got bought.

Is there another failure of the square that we are talking about?

Just for the record, Davol itself didn't fail, they moved their manufacturing (kind of like everyone else in Providence after the war) to cheaper locations and then got bought.

Is there another failure of the square that we are talking about?

The current Davol Square complex began its modern life as a type of Faneuil Hall marketplace in the 80's or 90's I believe, and didn't fly.

- Garris

The current Davol Square complex began its modern life as a type of Faneuil Hall marketplace in the 80's or 90's I believe, and didn't fly.

- Garris

speaking of which - absent the Arcade - PVD could use someplace like Faneuil Hall. With such great eats in the city (and State for that matter), it might be a tough sell anywhere...

One thing's for sure: with at least 3 enormous illuminated signs shouting "DYNAMO HOUSE," the building will quickly become known by that name in people's minds.

As for Davol Square, it may have failed as a retail venture (Garris, it was never like Faneuil Hall in the sense of being a primarily tourist/food emporium but rather it was more like an urban mall. Many skeptics of the Providence Place Mall in the mid to late 90s cited its demise as evidence that higher-end retailing would not work in PVD).

Now, reincarnated as mostly office space, the Davol Complex seems to do quite well. So I don't see how the name Davol Square should equal failure in people's minds. Rather, people now, I bet, think of it merely as an office complex (more limited sense) or (broader sense) the general area around Eddy and Point Streets.

BTW: minor tidbit: the name Davol most people pronounce as "DAY-vol." But the name of the original rubber company and of the family that started it (which is still around) is pronounced " da-VOL."

Just this week I read about them building a new plant somewhere in RI.

Just this week I read about them building a new plant somewhere in RI.

Here it is

http://www.projo.com/ri/warwick/content/pr...ol.177a723.html

One thing's for sure: with at least 3 enormous illuminated signs shouting "DYNAMO HOUSE," the building will quickly become known by that name in people's minds.

As for Davol Square, it may have failed as a retail venture (Garris, it was never like Faneuil Hall in the sense of being a primarily tourist/food emporium but rather it was more like an urban mall. Many skeptics of the Providence Place Mall in the mid to late 90s cited its demise as evidence that higher-end retailing would not work in PVD).

Now, reincarnated as mostly office space, the Davol Complex seems to do quite well. So I don't see how the name Davol Square should equal failure in people's minds. Rather, people now, I bet, think of it merely as an office complex (more limited sense) or (broader sense) the general area around Eddy and Point Streets.

BTW: minor tidbit: the name Davol most people pronounce as "DAY-vol." But the name of the original rubber company and of the family that started it (which is still around) is pronounced " da-VOL."

It also has one of the the nicest gyms in a city that really does not have many options.

jewelry district hasnt really been a destination in the past 30 years

for the next 30 years with new developments like this it will be...

hence the change of name, the new beginnings, the new direction, etc

if anything, i think that this area should be called the jewelry district, which holds great historic significance with providence having been the costume jewelry capital of the world. on the map it looks like a 7 x 10 block area [+ or - 1000 square yards from looking on the map]. keep it all as one!

general comparisons, meat-packing district, leather district, theatre district, seaport district, etc etc etc. now thats a better reference to an area's history and its past place in the development of industry in the U.S. maybe it could be a fashionable place to live and visit with a name like that, who knows

Archived