Front Street and Scribner

joeDowntown

This looks like a big enough deal to break this area off into its own thread. Changing the zoning of this whole area could be huge. It’s a little odd squeezed between the river and 131, but had lots of possibilities. Sounds like nothing will be moved forward in this area (including the proposed development on Front and Leonard) until the zoning change is approved and complete. 

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/grand-rapids-planners-eye-30-acres-of-riverfront-property-for-future-redevelopment/

Joe

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

This looks like a big enough deal to break this area off into its own thread. Changing the zoning of this whole area could be huge. It’s a little odd squeezed between the river and 131, but had lots of possibilities. Sounds like nothing will be moved forward in this area (including the proposed development on Front and Leonard) until the zoning change is approved and complete. 

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/grand-rapids-planners-eye-30-acres-of-riverfront-property-for-future-redevelopment/

Joe

I was wondering what the deal was with that proposed 10-story building at Leonard. 

There was also that apartment building proposed right next to the hotel just south of Ann Street. I don't know if that one is still in the works or not...

• 2 months later...

The City Planning commission voted to rezone the whole area and allow buildings 10 stories by right, 20 with bonuses (I don't understand why they don't just make it 20 unless they want to make sure developers add greenspace along the river?). Now it goes to the city commission, but they mention they may also revisit it as part of the master plan. That confuses me a bit, but whatever. :) 

Hopefully it unblocks the development at Front and Leonard, and leads to a wave of redevelopment along that corridor:

Joe

• Like 4