Height on the Periphery

GRLaker

Looks like a zoning change is on the agenda for this week that would allow buildings on the periphery of downtown to be as tall as 20 stories, which is a 10 story increase from the current limitation.

Zoning change would permit taller buildings around downtown Grand Rapids | Crain's Grand Rapids Business (crainsgrandrapids.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Looks like a zoning change is on the agenda for this week that would allow buildings on the periphery of downtown to be as tall as 20 stories, which is a 10 story increase from the current limitation.

Zoning change would permit taller buildings around downtown Grand Rapids | Crain's Grand Rapids Business (crainsgrandrapids.com)

This is terrific, but I can't help but notice the lack of 20 story developments IN downtown (save for the SP tower under construction)

We have two topics discussing this now. Let’s use this topic for now (not Hey, What’s that?). 

I think this is great as it gives all of the transitional areas a boost as well. But what I really want to know, is the story behind the story. CIG and Progressive AE aren’t proposing this as community service. So how long before we hear about a development using this 20 story extension. I’d assume it’ll be on one of the lots around 820 Monroe.

hoping we hear something soon after it gets approved (O don’t know why it wouldn’t, but who knows). 

Joe

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

This is great.  Can't wait to see the project in question that precipitated this.

WOOD's map on the changes is handy.  But they should keep raising it.  High rises along the river should be unlimited IMO.

FULL-Building-Floor-Limits-copy-2.jpg?w=900

this woodtv map is so much easier to interpret than the figures that I saw in the planning commission documents.

• Like 1

As people have speculated there is a developer looking to take advantage of these new height restrictions.  I don't have too many more details at this point, but heard tower(s)

I I really wish they would look at  at raising the restrictions for TBDs.  Why can't we have up to 10 stories along corridors near downtown like Leonard, Bridge, Fulton, Michigan, etc?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonesey said:

As people have speculated there is a developer looking to take advantage of these new height restrictions.  I don't have too many more details at this point, but heard tower(s)

I I really wish they would look at  at raising the restrictions for TBDs.  Why can't we have up to 10 stories along corridors near downtown like Leonard, Bridge, Fulton, Michigan, etc?

Any idea on location at least?

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:10 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

It is hard enough to get developers to even go 3 stories to even think we needed this.

The explanation I've heard - multiple times - is that due to construction technique [of larger/taller vs. smaller] and parking requirements that there are ranges which pencil; so to get to larger buildings you need significantly larger buildings to until the math turns in a positive direction.  It seems like a credible argument.

We have seen numerous greater than three (3) story developments very recently; the two latest just in Creston + Victory on Leonard.  Also a  few that are on paper the old DisplayPak on Monroe & Leonard/Front  [no idea what ones will actually break ground].

I’ve always thought it would be amazing to have some really tall or even moderately tall buildings in high locations. 

Sweet street park Creston HS 

east leonard elementary

mount mercy

the Salvation Army site on alpine

Covell dog park

….I realize a lot of these are already nice spaces and parks and places, but just sharing them as easily recognizable high points in the city that would have amazing views that aren’t “downtown “

1 hour ago, cstonesparty said:

I'm pretty sure there's a water storage tank under there, and that site would not be buildable...

Yes, there is, hence the un-natural looking shape to it.

I always though Mt. Mercy would be a good spot.  There's plenty of room.  It's owned by the housing commission so probably won't change hands ever.  I never really see anyone at Sweet St. park, but IIRC selling city park (or golf course) land now requires ballot approval and that would probably be a hard sell