ROSES DISCOUNT STORE - Where and When?

mediamongrel

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the reason the chapel Hill Roses does so well is mainly b/c there is no wal-mart or k-mart in Chapel Hill for competition. I think that the town has adopted a code against the big box format, well aside from the large Lowes off 15-501. I'm afraid that Roses will be kicked out of the mall when it's lease expires as University Mall is trying to go upscale and Roses is stuck in the '70's and doesn't seem to want to update anything. Originally the mall owners wanted to move Roses to a freestanding location, as they did K&W, to build a movie theater in it's place, but Roses owners refused. I know there used to be a Roses in Raleigh....where on earth were they? I remember in Durham there used to be Roses at Northgate Mall, on an old strip that was demolished to build the current Hechts, if not earlier, and there was another one...off Miami Blvd maybe, in a rough part of town.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Roses located in Orangeburg, SC (about 30 miles south of Columbia). That's the only one I ever knew of.

It's a rather sad sight.

I also remember a store similar to Roses by the name of Sky City (also in Orangeburg); anyone else ever heard of it? If not, I would assume that it wasn't a chain. I was a little boy when it was in business.

I also remember a store similar to Roses by the name of Sky City (also in Orangeburg); anyone else ever heard of it? If not, I would assume that it wasn't a chain. I was a little boy when it was in business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sky City was a pretty strong regional discount chain at one point. I remember at least two of them. One was either in Lexington or Thomasville, NC and another was in Stuart, Va. They've been out of business for a while.

Anyone ever been to the Roses in Belmont off I-85?  The whole plaza is basically shut down except for the Roses.  There's also a shut down Burger King or Taco Bell type place right next to it.  Talk about depressing!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your about half right, besides Roses, there are still a few smaller shops still open in the plaza. The Burger King was turned into a Japenese restaurant thats been open for a couple of years. Taco Bell is still open across the street, as well as KFC, and they just opened a Long John Silvers/A&W in front of the plaza.

Belmont Abbey still owns this shopping center and actually made some improvements to it a few years back, so it wouldnt look so run down.(new lighting, landscaping) The thing that will probably do Roses in is the new Wal-Mart Supercenter that is going up on the wooded land behind the Roses Plaza.

Sky City was a pretty strong regional discount chain at one point.  I remember at least two of them.  One was either in Lexington or Thomasville, NC and another was in Stuart, Va.  They've been out of business for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a Sky City in Mount Airy. They still have a Roses there. I think Roses recently moved to a different building.

25 minutes from Raleigh? Since when? It's only about 10 miles and I can usually get to Zebulon within 15 minutes. Are you one of "those" drivers?

Oh definitely not (and have the tickets to prove it), but before the 264 bypass opened last friday, getting to Zebulon in 25 minutes was actually making good time. Traffic, at times on 64, would be backed up to the Neuse River bridge, or worse, Rogers Lane. My parents still live in Zebulon/Wendell area and it took me 45 minutes to get to their house on a Sunday afternoon -- and they live probably 3 miles closer to Raleigh than the Roses.

• 2 weeks later...

Your about half right, besides Roses, there are still a few smaller shops still open in the plaza.  The Burger King was turned into a Japenese restaurant thats been open for a couple of years.  Taco Bell is still open across the street, as well as KFC, and they just opened a Long John Silvers/A&W in front of the plaza.

Belmont Abbey still owns this shopping center and actually made some improvements to it a few years back, so it wouldnt look so run down.(new lighting, landscaping)  The thing that will probably do Roses in is the new Wal-Mart Supercenter that is going up on the wooded land behind the Roses Plaza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've actually been to the Belmont Roses store (my cousins live in Belmont) and they used to get groceries at the Harris Teeter next to it too before it closed a while back..

I've been to the Roses in Greensboro. It was interesting and we left a "donation" in the form of making a purchase...

I've also been to the one on the East side of Burlington...If Walmart builds out Graham hopedale Rd like they had rumored for a while....it just might make things uncomfortable for that Roses IMO. Roses is interesting and has interesting things..but hardly holds a candle to what Walmart offers by far.

Does anyone remember...didnt Friendly Center have a Roses once upon a time in the early 70's that closed? Maybe Im thinking of something else...but I feel pretty certain it was Roses in some format...though maybe not what we know today.

This is the newly opened Roses store in Greensboro. It's suprisingly busy for a Roses, and even has a furniture department. This is the Rose Mahal, folks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Opening new stores... and still no website. I love Roses! :rolleyes:

Where is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's at Stonesthrow Crossing Shopping Center at the intersection of High Point Road and Farmington Drive (I think that's the street) not far from Four Seasons Town Centre. Not the most inspiring shopping experience, but it's decent.

It's at Stonesthrow Crossing Shopping Center at the intersection of High Point Road and Farmington Drive (I think that's the street) not far from Four Seasons Town Centre.  Not the most inspiring shopping experience, but it's decent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh ok, I wonder why they decided to open up a new location with the strong presense of Wal-Mart in the area?

Roses is great, it has the Woolworth's sort of feel to it.  Of course without the lunch counter.  I go to the one in Belmont once in a while, and aside from it being pretty dated, it is still interesting to go in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that Roses has had staying power, but like someone mentioned, with the Wal Mart coming behind it i'm sure that it will close :-/

Archived