Project North | Turbocor

stjoe

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turbocor Story Finally hits Tallahassee Democrat

Apparently, they've just decided to report on the switch at the top. The change is not expected to impact the move to Tallahassee and the facility, for the purposes of manufacturing, is complete. They expect to begin producing units as soon as next week.

Here's the article "Turbocor Picks New President"

The following is heresay (from a good source).

Turbocor is just starting the automation/programming of their assembly line. This includes automatic measurement of components and clearances of assembled components. The compressors that they manufacture will be driven at an obscene speed, ~20,000 rpm, so the moving parts must be precisely machined for balance and then precisely assembled such that the compressor will not obliterate itself during operation.

Presales of the compressors are better than expected and Danfoss wants the facility in manufacturing in September.

I'll keep my ear to the ground for more/better info.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turbocor construction Complete at New Tallahassee HQ

After less than a year of anticipation, Tallahassee is now home to the HQ and Manufacturing Facility of Danfoss Turbocor, a company that produces oil-free, magnetic based A/C compressors. The company has hired or has plans to hire over 200 people to operate the facility. Many have relocated from Canada to follow the company. The company's new HQ was built by Sperry & Associates.

Along with this company's presence in Innovation Park have come some sweeping changes with the park itself. Reovations are underway at various buildings, the City's new Bio-Mass energy plant is also slated to begin construction near by.

Here are some exterior pictures of the completed product:

marchupdate001.jpg

marchupdate002.jpg

marchupdate003.jpg

Images of Innovation Park's New Signage

marchupdate007.jpg

marchupdate005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Did you guys catch this article from the Democrat this past week:

Turbocor Helps Add Jobs to Existing Businesses

Remember the County voted against giving any money to Turbocor. One of the reasons and a big reason championed by Silly Bob R. was that why spend money on an outside source when they can spend money on local companies only. Well here's a great reason why.....this money not only relocated a company to our area and 150 jobs, but it also based on this report will bring more than 75 new jobs to existing local companies.

I say the best thing for this community is to consolidate City and County government and then just let Bill Law and Rick Kearny run the whole thing. We'd be way better off IMHO.

LOL! Bill and Rick are doing some excellent work. I wish more local business leaders would follow their examples. Imagine the boost to the community is DeVoe Moore and other local millionaires would spend their monies and use their resoures in the same way. I do applaud DeVoe Moore for turning the old Thomasville Road WalMart shopping Plaza around when it could have been abandoned to become yet another gray field, but look at the way he's developing the land he has off of I-10 and 90?????

I wish we could make a list of all of the bad list commissioners and all of their wrong doings, so next time they run for office we can shovel all of these poor decisions over to their competition for a true political battle! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Manufacturing: A Ripple Effect

By Ferdie De Vega

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

marchupdate001.jpg

When Tallahassee and Florida invested $7 million to entice Danfoss Turbocor, a Canadian company with Danish roots, to relocate all its administrative and manufacturing to the capital city, was it a good investment?

Economic development volunteers and professionals say it was. The projected return was 150 jobs over three years. The result? Spin-offs and indirect local manufacturing expansions spawned by the deal already have created as many as 93 jobs already, not counting those being brought to town or online by Turbocor.

Let's remember who did NOT vote for funds to help bring Turbocor to Tally:

Bob Rackleff

Jane Sauls

Bill Proctor

Dan Winchester (who is off the commission now)

Mark Mustain

Just putting this here so we can remember to hold them accountable for this negative vote when it comes time for them to run for office again.

Let's remember who did NOT vote for funds to help bring Turbocor to Tally:

Bob Rackleff

Jane Sauls

Bill Proctor

Dan Winchester (who is off the commission now)

Mark Mustain

Just putting this here so we can remember to hold them accountable for this negative vote when it comes time for them to run for office again.

• 5 months later...

danfoss_logo2.gif

They've been pretty quiet lately, but I had the privilege of driving through the parking lot the other day, and I must say, they must pay their employees well. I thought I was driving through the Capital Eurocar lot.

The most recent story about them was released in May of this year announcing the appointment of the company's new president.

Story

Does anyone know any Turbocor Employees yet?

I know for a FACT that Rackleff did NOT support and would NOT support TP. I wrote him a letter asking him to support TP back then and he told me NO. That is when I decided to never vote for him again and told him so in an email. I'd also given him money in previous years and last year I w/held my money and my vote.

Funny, I saw him about a week ago at a fund-raiser and we spoke cordially to each other. I again told him that while I support him on his social issues w/in the county, he did not have my support on growth or economic issues. I stated that if he supported these growth and economic issues, the social issues we both favor would probably be solved or at least helped more along b/c more and better paying jobs would be in the area, bigger corps that donate to charities would be in the area and more outsiders would move into the area and help w/these social issues. He was about to rebuttal me when he was called upon to speak to the group. One glass of red wine in me and I have no fear. :)

Back to TP, if my memory serves me correctly, COT commission voted unanimously to support TP, w/Katz being the main cheerleader. The County did NOT support the funding at all for the TP proposal. However when I wrote the County Commission my letter, Thaell wrote back and stated he would support it if it ever came before them.

Article published Sep 22, 2007

Turbocor keeping Tallahassee cool

Innovation keeps company ahead of curve

By Steve Liner

BUSINESS MATTERS EDITOR

Danfoss Turbocor came to Tallahassee to make innovative compressors to be used in commercial air-conditioning systems. What made the company most attractive to Tallahassee - and eligible for many of the incentives that were used to bring the company here - is Turbocor's dedication to continued research and development.

That is why the company's new plant is located in Innovation Park.

Source: Tallahassee Democrat Online

TDO.com Photo Gallery

Originally published September 23, 2007

Turbocor making difference in town

EDC, company are both on track for plant

By Steve Liner

BUSINESS MATTERS EDITOR

Back in 2005, when the Tallahassee/Leon County Economic Development Council (EDC) was recruiting Danfoss Turbocor to open a plant in Tallahassee, an economic incentives package with an estimated value near $7 million was put together. The deal called for government to provide incentives in return for Turbocor's creation of jobs. Are both parties on track in meeting commitments?

The answer, said EDC Executive Director Beth Kirkland, is yes.

Source: Tallahassee Democrat Online

Turbocor Officially Opens in Innovation Park

7125856_BG4.jpg

Hundreds of new jobs are coming to Tallahassee! Months ago, Danfoss Turbocor broke ground on a manufacturing center and headquarters to be located in Innovation Park. Today, it's hosting a grand opening. The business is expected to stimulate three hundred and 63 jobs with $16 million dollars in payroll. Turbocor manufactures mid-range compressors and were highly encouraged to come to the capital city.

ABC 27 is invited to the event and we'll have the latest tonight.

Source: ABC WTXL.tv

Archived