How do we fix I-110?

cajun

If you've driven on I-110 between downtown and US-61, you might have noticed that the pavement is worn down, wavy, and the structure appears to be sinking between the expansion joints.    Not to mention that the lighting hasn't been maintained, there are no shoulders, and there are no sound walls in place on the older elevated portions south of US61.    I-110 very clearly cut through the city in a block wide swath through working class north Baton Rouge.   

Eventually this section of freeway will have to be replaced and updated.    The question I have is if it's possible to do that while repairing at least some of the damage the freeway caused to the neighborhoods it traversed in the first place.   

Could Deck Parks be installed by Spanish Town Road?   Perhaps a portion of the section around Choctaw can be lowered to reduce noise and traffic vibrations?   Maybe the curves by the governor's mansion can be updated to reduce flooding, with larger catch basins and more powerful pumps?

Have you guys ever thought about this?  

This is where a deck park can potentially go:

Deck Park1.png

This is a section where we may be able to lower the grade of the highway and have the city streets pass over it, reducing traffic noise:

Lower Grade.png

This is probably one of the worst parts of it, and I'm not sure how to address this one:

What do do here.png

Edited by cajun

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Cajun for sharing your ideas and all of that work. Meant to reply back ; been battling insomnia the past few days.

A Deck Park over Spanish Town might really work well!   And like Dan326 said it  always seemed to be that way.  The soil in Louisiana can be a big challenge tho ; so it's not surprising.