6,000 seat soccer stadium for USL League being considered for downtown Greensboro

cityboi

• cityboi changed the title to 6,000 seat soccer stadium for USL League being considered for downtown Greensboro
37 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Sure hope something like ends up downtown somewhere.  

This is actually a pretty big deal. Just one tier under it playing along with cities such as Miami and San Diego. I agree this needs to happen downtown. USL is also nationally televised on stations such as ESPN. In addition this provides another venue to host other tournaments including ACC/NCAA soccer.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

While these are not renderings of the proposed Greensboro stadium. These are renderings of 6,000 seat USL stadium in downtown Lexington, KY and other cities which would be the same size as the one proposed for Greensboro. This can give us an idea of what a downtown soccer stadium in Greensboro could look like. I can think of a few potential locations in downtown Greensboro off the top of my head. The obvious would be the News and Record site which could become a mixed-use sports complex with a soccer stadium, restaurants and residential and office. The other would be near the ballpark which would require assembling some land in the block of Bellemeade, Eugene Street and Commerce.  It would be across the street from the Hyatt Place and Carroll Ballpark South/AC Hotel. I'm not sure where the other two sites mentioned in the article are located. Maybe the Duke Energy site next to the Children's museum. USL is really pushing for downtown stadiums with adjoining stadium development in entertainment districts so we'll see if that will have a lot of influence in choosing downtown Greensboro for the location. A downtown location would make the franchise more profitable drawing more fans than a coliseum location. When the new ballpark was built downtown, it attracted more fans to the games.

Lex-HighStreet_View-4.jpg

highstreet-view-3-scaled.jpg

0x0.jpg

soccer-stadium-1536x899.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1