Hampton Roads development will surpass Charlotte!

krdarden

What you said is very true; however, remember where Charlotte was just 20 years ago before the big bank mergers and the NBA! I really do like Charlotte and agree that your skyline is awesome but the jobs will eventually find their way to this region just like it did to Charlotte. We will have Regis in town on wednesday to showcase our blossoming cruise industry which is on the verge of taking off!

Hey Vdogg, it's still civil in here and no messy punches thrown so "not yet my friend, not yet!

Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts Miesian Corners. Charlotte has really come onto the scene as a major metropolitian area and it's all about the money as you said. With that in mind, this area is a lot more wealthy than people think. Our average incomes may be lower than most metropolitian areas; nonetheless, we make up the difference with the thousands of military retirees and their pension income which equates to more spending power and the proof is evident everywhere here with large homes and condos being built all over the region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why did you try to start this kind of thing. We are two different types of metro areas that are close to the same size population wise. Why do people feel that Charlotte has no charm! Every city in this country has something great about it and lets just rest that and focus on the great things that are happening to this metro and not compare us with anyone else. I don't know if we will ever get to what Charlotte is and I really don't care.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did you try to start this kind of thing. We are two different types of metro areas that are close to the same size population wise. Why do people feel that Charlotte has no charm! Every city in this country has something great about it and lets just rest that and focus on the great things that are happening to this metro and not compare us with anyone else. I don't know if we will ever get to what Charlotte is and I really don't care.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa now! No one here wants us to be like Charlotte! Also, no one here said that Charlotte has no charm because obviously, they are attracting many new citizens to their city. We are in competition with Charlotte directly and indirectly for business, jobs, and convention dollars! We have differences which make each city attractive and not-so-attractive to prospective employers and people choosing to move to each region. We may not have professional sports or the big banks or even a large arena like Charlotte but we do have the government, the beaches, and history as selling points. If it was only about skylines and money, I would be off to Charlotte in a heartbeat; however, I love the water, history, and the sounds of freedom soaring in the skys over Hampton Roads. Charlotte is just a barometer in which to measure how well we fare when compared to similar sized regions. We are definitely behind in this game but the game is far from over. The NBA really helped put Charlotte on the map! We have yet to get a professional sports team because we have no facilities in the entire state that meets the minimum guidelines required! Although, I do not wish to become a clone of Charlotte, we should strive to accomplish the same standards and achievements reached by Charlotte which is truly remarkable in such a short period of time. My new motto is: "Believe and Achieve Hampton Roads"!

Whoa now! No one here wants us to be like Charlotte! Also, no one here said that Charlotte has no charm because obviously, they are attracting many new citizens to their city. We are in competition with Charlotte directly and indirectly for business, jobs, and convention dollars! We have differences which make each city attractive and not-so-attractive to prospective employers and people choosing to move to each region. We may not have professional sports or the big banks or even a large arena like Charlotte but we do have the government, the beaches, and history as selling points. If it was only about skylines and money, I would be off to Charlotte in a heartbeat; however, I love the water, history, and the sounds of freedom soaring in the skys over Hampton Roads. Charlotte is just a barometer in which to measure how well we fare when compared to similar sized regions. We are definitely behind in this game but the game is far from over. The NBA really helped put Charlotte on the map! We have yet to get a professional sports team because we have no facilities in the entire state that meets the minimum guidelines required! Although, I do not wish to become a clone of Charlotte, we should strive to accomplish the same standards and achievements reached by Charlotte which is truly remarkable in such a short period of time. My new motto is: "Believe and Achieve Hampton Roads"!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it wouldn't grow if it had no charm?

Vegas is still (I believe) America's fastest growing city... Where's the charm? Prostitutes, greedy big business, drug infestation, poor schools, little history... For a city to grow, charm obviously isn't a prerequisite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So nice that in 2006 UVa will have the biggest arena in the state with 15,000 and 20 suites in the state. Go Hoos.

And I'll be the first to say that Charlotte has no charm. Everyone that I know who went to the Tire Bowl couple years back said Charlotte was boring. On the Right Coast, I'd say Boston, Annapolis, Baltimore, DC, HR, Charleston, and Savannah have charm. Richmond is close to acquiring charm.

Let the fighting begin.

Nerves aren't frayed.  I've lived in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Tampa and Greensboro in my professional adult life.  I call Charlotte home now and like it very much.  I am a real estate market analyst by trade.  I'm just trying to put things in perspective (for you). 

Developers don't simply plop large office and condo towers down on just any piece of real estate.  They do market studies (my job) to justify cost, demand, and profit.  There is no doubt that Hampton Roads is a very desirable housing market, but demographically speaking, Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta are more attractive (at the current time).  This can be read:  "developers will make more money here, so they build here."  That's all I was saying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe it or not, there was context behind saying "plop a Charlotte anywhere". If you put Charlotte (physically --- yes physically, the city) in the middle of the Sahara, it wouldn't be any different from what it is now. It has no natural beauty to it. It's prefabricated high-rise after prefabricated high-rise (not to say I wouldn't mind a couple up in HR...).

How come Richmond has so many highways?  They finished the 895, the road to nowhere.  HR needs to hook up with NC can create a more direct and limited-access route to Raleigh by connecting RTE 17 with RTE 64.  Not only will it help HR but will also help NE NC, which NC should like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Richmond area is a major intersection, with I-64, I-95, and I-85 all coming together in the region. I-295 circumvents the city (and also acts as a beltway) to allow thru traffic to avoid potential delays on I-95 as it cuts directly through downtown. I-195 link the downtown expressway, I-64/I-95 at the Bryan Park Interchange, and Powhite Parkway. It is an essential urban artery. I-895 was overdue, as it links Eastern Chesterfield county with Eastern Henrico County as well as southside to the airport. It begins where Chippenham Parkway meets I-95 and extends to I-295. It's also a toll road, which Richmond has quite a few of. Think it leads to nowhere? Do some research on some upcoming developments in the Varina district of Henrico County, as well as developments in Eastern C-field. As western Richmond becomes built out, development trends will shift (and have already started to) to the east. The only major road project potentially in Richmond's future is the extension of the Powhite Parkway to Hull St (Rt 360). Powhite is a toll road and the extension would have more tolls. Richmond's road network is basically complete, so you don't have to worry about any more highways to nowhere. If HR could embrace the idea of roads paid for with user-fees, I think the transportation issues of the area would improve much faster than waiting for VDOT to have the appropriate funds.

The Richmond area is a major intersection, with I-64, I-95, and I-85 all coming together in the region. I-295 circumvents the city (and also acts as a beltway) to allow thru traffic to avoid potential delays on I-95 as it cuts directly through downtown. I-195 link the downtown expressway, I-64/I-95 at the Bryan Park Interchange, and Powhite Parkway. It is an essential urban artery. I-895 was overdue, as it links Eastern Chesterfield county with Eastern Henrico County as well as southside to the airport. It begins where Chippenham Parkway meets I-95 and extends to I-295. It's also a toll road, which Richmond has quite a few of. Think it leads to nowhere? Do some research on some upcoming developments in the Varina district of Henrico County, as well as developments in Eastern C-field. As western Richmond becomes built out, development trends will shift (and have already started to) to the east. The only major road project potentially in Richmond's future is the extension of the Powhite Parkway to Hull St (Rt 360). Powhite is a toll road and the extension would have more tolls. Richmond's road network is basically complete, so you don't have to worry about any more highways to nowhere. If HR could embrace the idea of roads paid for with user-fees, I think the transportation issues of the area would improve much faster than waiting for VDOT to have the appropriate funds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Po White. I always laugh when I drive past that road. I know, it's pronounced pow-(h)ite.

Toll roads and HR are synonymous. Rte 44 used to be a toll-road but it was more than paid off so they removed the toll and turned it into 264. The Chesapeake Expressway and CBBT both have tolls as does the Coleman Bridge. The SEPG will have a toll when it's built. The bridge tunnels (except MMBT) used to have tolls to pay for their construction. The problem is VDOT kind of owns the ROW for 64, so that won't be widened until they feel like it. 460 would be a massive undertaking as would the 3rd Crossing. I'm not sure many people would enjoy paying $10 tolls. This isn't the Thruway. Remember, HR is a automobile-tourist destination, so tolls may hurt a little bit.

Basically, my issue with Richmond is it's getting more tax money back than it pays in when HR and NoVa have the opposite occuring. That's not fair and not the way the state tax code was intended to work.

What you said is very true; however, remember where Charlotte was just 20 years ago before the big bank mergers and the NBA! I really do like Charlotte and agree that your skyline is awesome but the jobs will eventually find their way to this region just like it did to Charlotte. We will have Regis in town on wednesday to showcase our blossoming cruise industry which is on the verge of taking off!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually its a common mistake to believe that Charlotte's prosperity is dependant upon just two Banks. They are in fact responsible for less than 10% of the jobs in the Metro. There are more manufacturing jobs in Charlotte than banking jobs and the area is the 6th largest distribution center in the USA just behind Chicago. Manfacturing includes Diamler Chrysler and Freightliner Truck assembly plants and items such as Carrier air conditioners. Companies like Lowes Home Improvement and Duke Energy are also HQ'd in Charlotte and Microsoft has its only East coast development center in Charlotte which employs thousands.

Believe it or not, there was context behind saying "plop a Charlotte anywhere".  If you put Charlotte (physically --- yes physically, the city) in the middle of the Sahara, it wouldn't be any different from what it is now.  It has no natural beauty to it.  It's prefabricated high-rise after prefabricated high-rise (not to say I wouldn't mind a couple up in HR...).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so now we're gonna name call, are we? I'll take the bait (which was intended as such, I'm sure) Obviously, you can't be a Southerner because trashing someone else's home is rude. I'll bet you don't even have a Tidewater accent.

Where to start? Ok, how about telling Pelli & Associates (Bank of America Corporate Center, 1992) and Kohn Pedersen Fox (Interstate Tower, 1989) that their towers are "prefab". I'm sure they'd love that.

Natural beauty? I'd be hard pressed to say that the Piedmont of both Virginia and North Carolina is anything less than beautiful. Rolling hills, rivers, hardwood forests. Beautiful to me. If you're pushing the notion that a harbor is what makes a city beautiful, and that cities with no discernable "natural features" are somehow "less than", tell that to the inhabitants of Madrid or Paris or Munich who live in cities that have no harbor/seaport, no river-based history, no dependence on shipping via a waterway.

Hampton Roads is a lovely place, but so is my adopted hometown. You couldn't put Charlotte in the Sahara and have the same place. With 1.5 million trees within the city limits, they wouldn't last too long. Not sure if John Nolen or Frederick Law Olmstead had any experience with designing neighborhoods with desert flora. They did know about Eastern North American forests, which is why they created two very nice places here in town called Myers Park and Dilworth.

So bash all you want. I love it here. I chose to move here. I choose to stay.

"Rte 44 used to be a toll-road but it was more than paid off so they removed the toll and turned it into 264." there is a funny story that goes with this. VB removed the toll after they audited the books and found out that they had not only paid for 44, but had collected several millions more.

"Rte 44 used to be a toll-road but it was more than paid off so they removed the toll and turned it into 264." there is a funny story that goes with this.  VB removed the toll after they audited the books and found out that they had not only paid for 44, but had collected several millions more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure that wouldn't stop some other cities from keeping the toll. :D

Ok, so now we're gonna name call, are we?  I'll take the bait (which was intended as such, I'm sure)  Obviously, you can't be a Southerner because trashing someone else's home is rude.  I'll bet you don't even have a Tidewater accent.

Where to start?  Ok, how about telling Pelli & Associates (Bank of America Corporate Center, 1992) and Kohn Pedersen Fox (Interstate Tower, 1989) that their towers are "prefab".  I'm sure they'd love that.

Natural beauty?  I'd be hard pressed to say that the Piedmont of both Virginia and North Carolina is anything less than beautiful.  Rolling hills, rivers, hardwood forests.  Beautiful to me.  If you're pushing the notion that a harbor is what makes a city beautiful, and that cities with no discernable "natural features" are somehow "less than", tell that to the inhabitants of Madrid or Paris or Munich who live in cities that have no harbor/seaport, no river-based history, no dependence on shipping via a waterway.   

Hampton Roads is a lovely place, but so is my adopted hometown.  You couldn't put Charlotte in the Sahara and have the same place.  With 1.5 million trees within the city limits, they wouldn't last too long.  Not sure if John Nolen or Frederick Law Olmstead had any experience with designing neighborhoods with desert flora.  They did know about Eastern North American forests, which is why they created two very nice places here in town called Myers Park and Dilworth. 

So bash all you want.  I love it here.  I chose to move here.  I choose to stay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no particular loathing for the city of Charlotte whatsoever, but a few thousand miles of shoreline, a hundred miles of beach and 1000's of acres of protected wetlands in HR is rather beautiful too.

The problem with Charlotte, if my point makes any sense, and I'm sure you'll say it won't, but the city just seems too new. Every block of the city looks just like the last one. It's pretty, yes, and its skyline is almost imcomparable for 100s of miles--save for Atlanta or Phillly--but I'd take Norfolk's skyline and harbor over Charlotte any day.

"Ok, so now we're gonna name call, are we? I'll take the bait (which was intended as such, I'm sure) Obviously, you can't be a Southerner because trashing someone else's home is rude. I'll bet you don't even have a Tidewater accent."

I wasn't bashing your home in any way, just saying that I prefer my own. This entire website is built upon opinions, so me stating my opinion is not by any means rude, nor have I ever been called rude in my entire life.

And I'm not a Southerner. I'm nothing. I've lived in Texas, Nebraska, Hampton, York County and in Europe (being a military brat doesn't afford you any regional identity). Nonetheless, I've spent the most of my life here, and upon completing schooling I intend to remain here for the rest of my life.

And the remark about Pelli/Associates building etc. etc. etc. ... Just because a building was designed by a famous architectural group doesn't make it beautiful :thumbsup: but that is rather besides the point.

Your city is great, just different, and as I'm finding, too different for means of comparison.

Ok, so now we're gonna name call, are we?  I'll take the bait (which was intended as such, I'm sure)  Obviously, you can't be a Southerner because trashing someone else's home is rude.  I'll bet you don't even have a Tidewater accent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all to say someone must not be a southerner because they said something rude is misleading if not outright false. When I lived down south I found as many rude and nasty people as I've encountered here in New Jersey. To me the notion of southern hospitality meaning southern people are nicer than anyone else is a misconception.

SECONDLY, I'd like to make a motion that this thread be chopped. Despite its original intent (whatever it was) it seems to have become a city v. city thread and there's nothing I hate more in forums. I believe they go against the intention of this forum to provide a place for friendly conversation over development news in our cities. As we know people throughout these forums get defensive and that's when things get ugly.

We can all agree there are many wonderful projects going on or coming to Hampton Roads. We can all agree Charlotte is a nice city. Any attempt to pit the two areas against each other in some sort of competition is not hot, IMO.

Archived