55 West

Tim3167

Firemick you are a true hero for what you do! I am very familiar with Parramore and yes there are a few good people there, but not many. For them I think the city will insure low-income housing mixed in with the rest of the commercial development. Folks who think like orlandonative and JRS1 are why a thriving Parramore was allowed to deteriorate over the years. Without developing the west side of I-4 (Parramore), projects like 55 West will have difficulty providing security for pedestrians. The harassing from homeless and drug pushers will continue. That is why the west side (at least as far west as Westmoreland Ave needs to be cleaned up and developed via strategic rezoning).

Parramore has become a transient community and there is no History or Tradition here to keep. It is ripe for development and that is why Dyer is focusing on it. The east side development is in auto-pilot and doesn't need any assistance. Development there will continue based on demand.

First off, I do more for this cities devlopement by 10 A.M. than you will do in your whole life. I've tried to remain somewhat civil when discusssing this matter with you. However, when I am accused by someone of having the ideaology that has allowed people to become impoverished, thats where I draw the line. No less than 24 hours ago, on this same page, I was very clear that the city needs to be concerned with bettering the lives of the individuals that call paramore home rather than displacing them. It is beyond me to imagine how dropping four 55 West buildings in Paramore is going to help those very people whom you say I have allowed to become poor. Perhaps you didn't read what you just wrote, but I'll help you:

Parramore has become a transient community and there is no History or Tradition here to keep. It is ripe for development and that is why Dyer is focusing on it.

And then the pot called the kettle black, perhaps you didn't read what you wrote but I'll help you:

Folks who think like orlandonative and JRS1 are why a thriving Parramore was allowed to deteriorate over the years.

I would venture to say that your ass backwards logic is more concerned with buildings over livelihoods. You will try to debate that fact with your nimwitted ideas, but unless you erase what you previously wrote I think it's pretty clear. As far as stopping the panhandling, I agree its a little out of control. The drug dealers, c'mon dude when is the last time somebody tried to sell you drugs as you walk down the street?

Edited by orlandonative

First off, I do more for this cities devlopement by 10 A.M. than you will do in your whole life.

As far as high rise devlopment in Paramore is concerned. It's not right and it certainly will not happen in the next couple of years let alone the next 15, trust me.

Lets stop buying out low income housing at fair market value because we can. Instead, build character. Lift those families up. Help them help the city.

In fact, its what puts food on my table, but not at the cost of displacing the very essence of what makes a city great and thats its people. Not just the ones that can afford the glitz, but all of them.

OK, this is great discussion but it should be placed on a seperate thread called "Parramore's Future".

As far as your last post, it is way off base. I pray that you don't work for the City Planning Dept. because the poor developer's with creative ideas would all be discouraged.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your comments seem to suggest that you are against changing Parramore in a major way. I am suggesting if you really want to make a difference in Parramore, you must clean up ALL the transients and those engaged in illegal activities. The decent folks don't live in Parramore anymore! They already moved further west to Washington Shores. The remaining decent folks can be accomodated by the low-income housing currently being developed in Parramore. We need major commercial and mixed use development to clean it up. This will provide employment for the young people after proper rehabilitation to kick the alcohol and drug addiction. Why would a young person living in Parramore want to go to school or go to work and get $7-$10 hr when he can make $1000 day by pushing drugs?

I know the people living in Eola Hgts and Thorton Park feel they are far enough away from this but not really. Unless you permanently solve the problem Parramore, the transients will make their way over towards 55 West, Lk Eola, and Thorton Park and continue to harrass people and businesses in the area. Is that too difficult to understand? I already own in Uptown, Eola Hgts and College Park, but I realize the potential that exists in Parramore and I realize that unless it is developed to the same standards as the east side, people's investments will suffer. All I have to do is remind people what happened to the Orlando realestate market in the 80's. Those who bought on the east side (Eola Hgts, Thorton Park, and Colonialtown) in the early and mid 80's, lost value and money in the late 80's. It wasn't until the 90's that a couple guys named Rampy and Ustler came along and turned that area around. A couple of similar people will be needed to turn around Parramore too.

People spend alot of money and they want to protect their investment longterm. Downtown cannot become a destination without Parramore on board! I think Dyer and Lynum understand that and so does the educated and hard working African-American community, who by the way would love to come back to Parramore and leave Washington Hghts and Pine Hills.

So please don't tell me that high-rise development in Parramore shouldn't happen and won't happen for 15 yrs. There are already many developer's in the area planning major projects including myself. Therefore, if you are working for the city, let me know so the developer's can save their money instead of wasting it by making the folks at fbbarch rich with useless conceptual drawings.

I think we may be in agreement and just not realize it. If everybody thinks I am way off and unreasonable, I will gladly agree to stop expressing my opinion on this forum. My intention is not to offend anyone....

Well, it means that the developer paid some $2.7M in fees to the City. They are free to build the building as soon as they choose to mobilize...

Case Number: BLD2005-00154

Case Address: 55 WEST CHURCH ST

Project Name: 55 WEST CHURCH STREET

Master Number: BLD2005-00154

Case Description: New shell building (this permit includes the cost for the foundation also - 10/31/05pc) - 33 story condominium with light commercial-Plans consist of 4 volumes-Vol 1 Civil, Vol 2 Arch/Structural, Vol 3 Mech,Plumbing,Fire, Vol 4-Electrical. Mixed occupancy as follows.Res.R-2,Assembly,Business,Mercatile,Storage,Parking Garage

Just curious - how many 300'+ projects are actually under construction currently in Jacksonville? I promise that's not a statement question...I really AM curious. I have no idea.

Besides under construction how many 300'+ proposed?

2 under construction plus 1 that will just miss the 300' mark.

15 Planned or Approved.

I must say, there isn't a large community in Florida that isn't having an incredible development boom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of this Monday morning, crews have barricaded half of Pine street the way they did for the Plaza.

I think they are starting to move forward now with demolition.

I surely hope so. Unfortuantely this news will probably receive a luke warm reception on these boards. In unrelated news. PBL&T is moving along quite nicely. The project has received an official name. I will find out here today what I am allowed to disclose.

Edited by orlandonative