Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Thanks for the article, although I think it's basically the same article linked in the Sam's topic. But this one seemed to be arranged slightly different. Either way it's nice to see us getting a little attention like this. I'm a bit surprised there wasn't any room at the Research and Technology Park. The last time I drove by I was a little disappointed it hadn't changed much. I could only see one new building. But maybe that's the problem, no one is building anything over there and is just looking for existing office space.

I can't remember if there is a thread for the Southern View Development off of 6th and I-540 so I will just put some info here. There was a good sized article in the Times this morning on it. It said that they were having trouble leasing out the first floor for commercial space so they were going to try and change that space to extended stay hotel space. The city seems to be ok with this but they can only use 1/2 of the space for hotel usage. Still it is better than having none of the 40,000 sq ft of commercial space used. The good thing about the project is that all of the apartments on the other 2 levels are currently leased.

Here is more info from the Times: Southern View Apartments

I can't remember if there is a thread for the Southern View Development off of 6th and I-540 so I will just put some info here. There was a good sized article in the Times this morning on it. It said that they were having trouble leasing out the first floor for commercial space so they were going to try and change that space to extended stay hotel space. The city seems to be ok with this but they can only use 1/2 of the space for hotel usage. Still it is better than having none of the 40,000 sq ft of commercial space used. The good thing about the project is that all of the apartments on the other 2 levels are currently leased.

Nuts, I was fearing Lindsey was the developer for this, so I just didn't look into it. Anyways it appears he is. I hope the apartments are actually different than the floorplans of his usual box.

Great article- very even handed and only slightly playing to the sterotypes of the region. One thing that was of concern was that Sanker looked for space in the Research and Technolgy park and it was booked up. I guess that is a good problem to have but I hope the University and city are looking at adding more space for groups needing to lease it.

The University has been looking into buying more land around the current park and redeveloping part of the existing park, but so far no luck. I'm afraid they'll also get distracted by what they consider more "pressing" matters.

Nuts, I was fearing Lindsey was the developer for this, so I just didn't look into it. Anyways it appears he is. I hope the apartments are actually different than the floorplans of his usual box.

Yeah it is a Lindsey project but it sure does not look like their usual complexes. I don't know what the insides looklike but I would imagion they are more modern.

The University has been looking into buying more land around the current park and redeveloping part of the existing park, but so far no luck. I'm afraid they'll also get distracted by what they consider more "pressing" matters.

Yeah I imagine it won't be high on their priorities list. Although I think there may be some area for more development. I just haven't seen hardly any new buildings going up over there.

Yeah I saw that in the paper today. I don't recall ever giving it it's own topic. I wasn't sure if there would be enough interest. For a Lindsey development it's not too bad. But I admit, knowing it was one of his made me loss some interest and I haven't been looking into that development a whole lot. I really should try to get over there sometime anyway, maybe take a few pics.

Yeah I imagine it won't be high on their priorities list. Although I think there may be some area for more development. I just haven't seen hardly any new buildings going up over there.

I thought I had heard they will be doing another building on the research campus anyways. It seems important to develop that place if you can.

Also, I think the university has definitely been looking into the FHS building and land. I hope it stays a high school, though.

I thought I had heard they will be doing another building on the research campus anyways. It seems important to develop that place if you can.

Also, I think the university has definitely been looking into the FHS building and land. I hope it stays a high school, though.

Unless someone can convince the city than it's necessary to split the high school (definitely will have to be done long run anyway, why not now?), that land will most likely be purchased by the University. They're willing to pay the price, it's right next to land they already own, so it makes sense.

I do think the current location of the high school is a good one. But I can't say I wouldn't mind seeing the university get it either. Although I'm not sure if they would change much. I keep hearing how the university could use the already existing buildings. But then you have to look for a new location for the high school, which looks like would mean somewhere on the outskirts. That won't make one side of the city happy. Then of course you could split the high school. But I get the impression one of the biggest things holding it up is that both schools wouldn't be big enough to stay in the 7A and would have to drop down. At least for a while before enrollment got them back up.

Unless someone can convince the city than it's necessary to split the high school (definitely will have to be done long run anyway, why not now?), that land will most likely be purchased by the University. They're willing to pay the price, it's right next to land they already own, so it makes sense.

I agree completely. We should sell the old campus while we have an interested buyer. I can see it being hard to sell huge old school buildings in general. Go ahead and build a new school in the NW section of town, and once it is done start on another somewhere on the east side. We are going to need more than one huge high school in the coming years anyway, might as well plan for it now. Springdale is already talking about a 3rd high school. Rogers has started a second and Bentonville is planning a second. Fayetteville will be the largest city in the nation with only one (inside in city limits) high school. You can almost count Greenland, Farmington, and Elkins as high schools associated with Fayetteville since many residents within the city limits are in these districts.

I agree completely. We should sell the old campus while we have an interested buyer. I can see it being hard to sell huge old school buildings in general. Go ahead and build a new school in the NW section of town, and once it is done start on another somewhere on the east side. We are going to need more than one huge high school in the coming years anyway, might as well plan for it now. Springdale is already talking about a 3rd high school. Rogers has started a second and Bentonville is planning a second. Fayetteville will be the largest city in the nation with only one (inside in city limits) high school. You can almost count Greenland, Farmington, and Elkins as high schools associated with Fayetteville since many residents within the city limits are in these districts.

Yeah but I think they'll also be able to sell to the U of A at any time. I don't think the U of A wouldn't offer them some sort of deal in the future. They'll always want more land and that space there could come in handy for them. Is Fayetteville really the largest city in the country with only one high school? Guess I've never heard that before. But yeah all the 'suburb' schools have helped keep Fayetteville's numbers down. Where all the other major NWA cities have the surrounding areas go to their school. Sorta weird how that worked out.

Is Fayetteville really the largest city in the country with only one high school?

I was just exagerating (is that how you spell that). It just seems that way to me. I mean Rogers population is around 50-55K and they are building a second school. Bentonville is around 30K and they are in the planning stages. Springdale is around 60-65K and they are thinking high school #3. Fayetteville is in the 70-75K range, why don't we need another high school or two. Too many people in Fayetteville are in suburban districts, we are losing tax dollars to them and I don't care for it.

I was just exagerating (is that how you spell that). It just seems that way to me. I mean Rogers population is around 50-55K and they are building a second school. Bentonville is around 30K and they are in the planning stages. Springdale is around 60-65K and they are thinking high school #3. Fayetteville is in the 70-75K range, why don't we need another high school or two. Too many people in Fayetteville are in suburban districts, we are losing tax dollars to them and I don't care for it.

Yeah I did think that was weird when I first moved up here. I assumed Fayetteville had the biggest schools because it was, back then, by far the largest city. At first I couldn't figure out how Springdale and Rogers had schools so much bigger. But I did eventually realize there's a lot of school districts surrounding Fayetteville. The school districts don't follow the city limits so as more housing pops up around the edges of the city many of those people fall into these other school districts not Fayetteville's. Perhaps there are other worries, but I still get the impression that the biggest thing holding up splitting the school is Fayetteville dropping out of 7A and not playing it's other rival NWA cities (especially Springdale) in sports. I don't know if you could try to get one school being covered by more of the city and keeping it in 7A and then having a smaller high school that has potential for future growth. Not sure if that would go over well. But maybe have something like the areas west of the bypass in a separate high school. It would be smaller but there's a lot of future growth in that part of the city.

This actually helps Fayetteville school maintain its unique identity actually. Pulling in the kids from the outskirts of town would water down the downtown kids somewhat. Right now ward 2 is definitely the most progressive part of town and it is also the only ward to not lose any kids at all to neighboring districts.

That seems a bit too elitist to be solid reasoning for making any decisions. The number of students packed into one high school right now is justification for splitting the school anyway, regardless of how you feel about the "outskirts kids". Kids from different parts of town should not get different educations. We have advanced programs and optional classes in high schools for students to get the education they want anyway.

I agree completely. We should sell the old campus while we have an interested buyer. I can see it being hard to sell huge old school buildings in general. Go ahead and build a new school in the NW section of town, and once it is done start on another somewhere on the east side.

I couldn't disagree more. Under no circumstances should the old campus be sold to the University or any other interested party. It's no secret that the University covets that land (and has for some 20 years now), and there are a LOT of developers whose mouth's are watering at the prospect of delopments on or around the school property should it change hands. But these are simply not valid reasons for selling one of the only prime large tracts of land that remain in central Fayetteville. There always have been and always will be many 'interested' buyers for this land. But, once it's gone it would be gone forever and there would never be another opportunity for a centrally located public school in Fayetteville. This land should always remain property of the Fayetteville school district to ensure that Fayetteville always has at least one centrally located highschool. When it comes time to build a second highschool, that's when the property on the northwest side of town might make sense for a second location--but definitely not as a replacement location. Remember also that by some school board estimates that we are 20+ years away from the need for a second highschool--and that's only if our current slow to moderate growth trend continues.

Part of what makes Fayetteville High so unique is it's centralized location and close proximity to the University of Arkansas. I will be extremely surprised and disappointed if the school board decides to sell the current porperty and relocate the highschool. This might work for Springdale, Rogers or Anyothercity, USA--but Fayetteville is unique and is most certainly NOT just like any other city. No thank you, let's keep FHS right where it is--permanently.

Edited by OnDickson

I couldn't disagree more. Under no circumstances should the old campus be sold to the University or any other interested party. It's no secret that the University covets that land (and has for some 20 years now), and there are a LOT of developers whose mouth's are watering at the prospect of delopments on or around the school property should it change hands. But these are simply not valid reasons for selling one of the only prime large tracts of land that remain in central Fayetteville. There always have been and always will be many 'interested' buyers for this land. But, once it's gone it would be gone forever and there would never be another opportunity for a centrally located public school in Fayetteville. This land should always remain property of the Fayetteville school district to ensure that Fayetteville always has at least one centrally located highschool. When it comes time to build a second highschool, that's when the property on the northwest side of town might make sense for a second location--but definitely not as a replacement location. Remember also that by some school board estimates that we are 20+ years away from the need for a second highschool--and that's only if our current slow to moderate growth trend continues.

Part of what makes Fayetteville High so unique is it's centralized location and close proximity to the University of Arkansas. I will be extremely surprised and disappointed if the school board decides to sell the current porperty and relocate the highschool. This might work for Springdale, Rogers or Anyothercity, USA--but Fayetteville is unique and is most certainly NOT just like any other city. No thank you, let's keep FHS right where it is--permanently.

I also think FHS should remain where it is. I dislike seeing public organizations leave the central part of the city and go to outlying areas. I think the county courts also should remain downtown regardless of what the study says. Public facilities should be a cornerstone of the central part of any city. Moving the school out to that NW corner will cost more in the long run and some of the cost can't be measured in dollars. I do get the impression that the school adminstration is leaning towards moving but hopefully the school board will listen to the majority, which is saying keep it where it is.

Regarding population/schoold district size, keep in mind that Fayetteville's population includes 15,000 to 20,000 college students, 95% of whom don't have kids.

That's not the way the census works. Only those living off campus that are not being counted by their parents are included in Fayetteville's population. Any dorm residents are not counted in a census.

I know someone took some pics a while back but I stopped by recently and thought I'd post a few also. It's not too bad, especially considering it was done by Lindsey. I could mention some faults. But I will give Lindsey some credit for trying. I still don't think he quite has New Urbanism down, but he tried at least.

southernviewdevelopmentna0.jpg

southernviewdevelopmentzl3.jpg

southernviewdevelopmenthi8.jpg

I know someone took some pics a while back but I stopped by recently and thought I'd post a few also. It's not too bad, especially considering it was done by Lindsey. I could mention some faults. But I will give Lindsey some credit for trying. I still don't think he quite has New Urbanism down, but he tried at least.

Nice pics- actually, it's hard to believe that is here in Fayetteville. it looks something from a larger metro. It would have been a great project to have tried closer to downtown.

Back on the high school issue- there is a school board election Tuesday that will have an impact on how the vote goes on the location of the high school. Of the canidates one is for keeping it in the present location and the other for moving it. In today's NWA Times it's reported that Becky Purcell is leaning towards keeping it where it is while Mary Lynn Mantooth is leaning towards moving it. If you're elgible to vote in the election here's your chance to influence the decision.

Nice pics- actually, it's hard to believe that is here in Fayetteville. it looks something from a larger metro. It would have been a great project to have tried closer to downtown.

Back on the high school issue- there is a school board election Tuesday that will have an impact on how the vote goes on the location of the high school. Of the canidates one is for keeping it in the present location and the other for moving it. In today's NWA Times it's reported that Becky Purcell is leaning towards keeping it where it is while Mary Lynn Mantooth is leaning towards moving it. If you're elgible to vote in the election here's your chance to influence the decision.

Yeah the location and that's it's set back away from the street itself sorta ruins it a bit for me. But I do agree, something like this would fit a lot better around downtown.

Anyone have any predictions on the high school? I've been getting the impression that they'll end up staying. I don't know, unless the university can really make them some great deal I'd be surprised if they moved.

It looks a little bland/cheap, but it's not ugly. My only big complaint is the solid sidewalks to the street in front of the buildings. There definitely should have been spots to plant trees along the entire row of buildings, not just in scattered spots. It would have made it look much nicer.

It looks a little bland/cheap, but it's not ugly. My only big complaint is the solid sidewalks to the street in front of the buildings. There definitely should have been spots to plant trees along the entire row of buildings, not just in scattered spots. It would have made it look much nicer.

Oh yeah, I certainly can find some faults with it. But still for it being a Lindsey development, it's not too bad. Quite a bit better than most of the stuff he does.