Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Wow--this is great to see them working on this project already. It is an ugly building and I am really glad to see something being done with it.

Did any of you see the old Iris Arts gallery on West Street? It has been completely redone, with all new doors/windows where they used to be blocked up, and a really cool iron trellis structure on two sides of the building. This is an example of a tasteful rehab as far as I am concerned. For those who don't know where this is it is just north of Tony C.'s restaurant and across from Blu and Scarpino's.

M

Wow--this is great to see them working on this project already. It is an ugly building and I am really glad to see something being done with it.

Did any of you see the old Iris Arts gallery on West Street? It has been completely redone, with all new doors/windows where they used to be blocked up, and a really cool iron trellis structure on two sides of the building. This is an example of a tasteful rehab as far as I am concerned. For those who don't know where this is it is just north of Tony C.'s restaurant and across from Blu and Scarpino's.

M

Is it the building there on the corner of West and Watson? A former Razorback football kicker, I think his name is Zac Painter is putting a bar or something in this building. If it is the same one I am thinking of.

I've brought this up before. I think many in Fayetteville are familiar with the AG Edward Building on the Square. If not I'll post a couple of pics. I thought I had one of the whole side but apparently I don't but I have a closer up shot to give you the idea.

agedwardsbuilding01yo6.jpg

agedwardsbuilding02hw3.jpg

Now the original 1800's building is underneath this facade that was put on sometime around the 50's. I've seen an old postcard somewhere that showed the original building which looked rather interesting. I always thought it would be great if someone would restore that building back to it's original look. But I managed to find a piece of history. One one side, that's not visible unless you go to the right spot, It's been a while since I've seen that postcard but I seem to remember some small spires or something that don't seem to be around anymore. Perhaps they were removed when the building was given it's facelift. Anyway I thought it was interesting find that I wasn't expecting to see.

agedwardsbuilding03ph6.jpg

agedwardsbuilding04mg3.jpg

agedwardsbuilding05za0.jpg

Nice pics Rod. Yeah, I don't know too much about the building. My dad and a partner own the building and we have always called it the 1st National Bank building. I have been in it many times and it is in pretty good shape for an old building. I don't remember what year it was built, I checked property search and it had 1955, I would guess that is the year they either added on or remodeled. It has nearly 30000 sq ft of commercial space. I really don't know too much else about it.

Nice pics Rod. Yeah, I don't know too much about the building. My dad and a partner own the building and we have always called it the 1st National Bank building. I have been in it many times and it is in pretty good shape for an old building. I don't remember what year it was built, I checked property search and it had 1955, I would guess that is the year they either added on or remodeled. It has nearly 30000 sq ft of commercial space. I really don't know too much else about it.

Yeah I remember you saying something about that. I've never been inside it. I'm also not sure when the original building was built. I'm assuming late 1880's like a number of other buildings on the Square. I've also wondered how much of the old building is left for that matter. I didn't post a pic of the clock on the corner of the building but I did notice it said AG Edwards and 1st Natl Bank on it. Seems like a number of buildings on the Square have a current name and then an old name referring to what had been there before. I really wish I knew where I had seen the old postcard showing what it looked like. I suppose you could have a discussion on whether to eventually remodel it to more like the original building. Although in some ways it's a bit interesting to have different styles of architecture showing different time periods of development. But I can't say I'm a huge fan of the architecture of the 50's-70's. So in this case I'd like to see the building eventually reflect more of it's original style.

I've brought this up before. I think many in Fayetteville are familiar with the AG Edward Building on the Square. If not I'll post a couple of pics. I thought I had one of the whole side but apparently I don't but I have a closer up shot to give you the idea.

agedwardsbuilding01yo6.jpg

Now the original 1800's building is underneath this facade that was put on sometime around the 50's. I've seen an old postcard somewhere that showed the original building which looked rather interesting. I always thought it would be great if someone would restore that building back to it's original look. But I managed to find a piece of history. One one side, that's not visible unless you go to the right spot, It's been a while since I've seen that postcard but I seem to remember some small spires or something that don't seem to be around anymore. Perhaps they were removed when the building was given it's facelift. Anyway I thought it was interesting find that I wasn't expecting to see.

Someone(s) is working on purchasing the building and intends to remove the facade and expose the original building. I don't expect a fast resolution but it's still a strong possibility.

Someone(s) is working on purchasing the building and intends to remove the facade and expose the original building. I don't expect a fast resolution but it's still a strong possibility.

I suppose that would be the most likely way for it to happen. Especially as the downtown area is seeing more and more developments. But I wonder if they'd restore it to the original style or only parts of it as they could potentially want to add an extra story for future development and such. Like One East Center/Bank of American Building. Thanks for the info Thia. I guess Colby might be able to keep us up to date on this if this doesn't cause any problems that is.

I suppose that would be the most likely way for it to happen. Especially as the downtown area is seeing more and more developments. But I wonder if they'd restore it to the original style or only parts of it as they could potentially want to add an extra story for future development and such. Like One East Center/Bank of American Building. Thanks for the info Thia. I guess Colby might be able to keep us up to date on this if this doesn't cause any problems that is.

Thia must know more than I do, because I have not heard anything about it. It would not be the first time that I had been left out of the loop. I ask and see what I can come up with. :shok:

Thia must know more than I do, because I have not heard anything about it. It would not be the first time that I had been left out of the loop. I ask and see what I can come up with. :shok:

I wondered. I thought maybe you couldn't mention anything yet. I realize you may not be able to mention everything you might know on here.

hello, people. i downloaded the latest version of google earth yesterday and lo and behold it has the buildings on dickson st. in 3d. it has all the ones that are there currently, plus underwood plaza lofts and the divinity, which may never be there in reality. but it looks cool. the new graphics are fairly awesome. the square area is still flat, but i'm sure eventually the buildings there will be in 3d as well.

update your google earth and check it out.

hello, people. i downloaded the latest version of google earth yesterday and lo and behold it has the buildings on dickson st. in 3d. it has all the ones that are there currently, plus underwood plaza lofts and the divinity, which may never be there in reality. but it looks cool. the new graphics are fairly awesome. the square area is still flat, but i'm sure eventually the buildings there will be in 3d as well.

Thanks for the update. I must not have the latest version then.

THanks for the info Jiggy. Yeah, I downloaded it and it is pretty impressive. It is strange that they have the Divinity and Underwood Plaza but they don't have the Legacy (the one that is actually built).

Wait a sec. I finally got through downloading it and such and I don't hardly see any 3D buildings. Did you get the free version or pay for a better version? The only 3D I see so far is the current building that has Qdoba and the little section of Common Grounds and Brewski's.

THanks for the info Jiggy. Yeah, I downloaded it and it is pretty impressive. It is strange that they have the Divinity and Underwood Plaza but they don't have the Legacy (the one that is actually built).

I see now. I'm not sure why I only started off with what I did but you can download more 3D buildings. There's a little blue button between Lafayette and Dickson. I clicked on it and ended up at a place where I could download a lot of different buildings. Not all of them look complete but they've worked their way over to College Ave. I did get a Legacy but the textures didn't look totally complete. This is pretty sweet. Can't wait till they get to the Square. They do have some building on Block Ave so looks like they're working their way to it.

I'm not seeing this little blue button between Lafayette and Dickson. Where is it located exactly?

I had to zoom in really close. I believe it was just south of University Baptist. There's a parking lot and a building directly south of it. I guess that's where CAST is located.