Sarasota Florida

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I will add my tidbits to this forum regarding Sarasota, the city in which I now live. I will be adding items such as photos, business prospectives, and other "goings on" around the town.

Please feel free to add your own items of interest regarding Sarasota and the surrounding area in Sarasota County.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some photos of Sarasota that I think you all will enjoy. It is apparent that this city has a population of around 100,000 vice the 55,000 that the census states; a lot of sarasota has not been annexed. Also, in viewing the photos, it is apparent that there are height restrictions in place. Sarasota/Bradenton Airport is only 3 to 4 miles to the north of downtown. Enjoy!

sarasota%209-1-03-10.jpgsarasota%209-1-03-11.jpgsarasota%209-1-03-1.jpgsarasota-RC.jpgsarasota-5.jpgsarasota_cityin.jpg08-August-03-Bayfront.jpg

I would estimate that both incorporated and unincorporated areas of Sarasota probably have over 200,000 people combined. Sarasota County has 350,000 total so that leaves 150,000 for south county, i.e. Venice and North Port, which seems reasonable. Add to that 250,000 people in Manatee County you've got a pretty decent sized metro area.

I've lived all over the state and am in Orlando now but my job should be moving me back home to Sarasota next summer. Theres alot of exciting stuff happening in Sarasota right now. Thats where I want to be.

Skyscrapers.com has the Ritz-Carlton as the tallest building in Sarasota; however, Plymouth Harbor, which was the tallest before Ritz-Carlton was built, seems to be taller when viewed with the naked eye. So, which is taller? I think Ritz-Carlton cheated; When I see the two buildings with my naked eye, Plymouth Harbor looks taller.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe when they say the Ritz is the tallest they have in mind the CBD, or at least central Sarasota ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you're right because the Ritz is downtown, and Plymouth Harbor is on an Island in Sarasota Bay before you get to the beaches; but I always thought that that area where Plymouth Harbor sits was Sarasota. But if you check out skyscrapers.com, it lists both Ritz Carlton and Plymouth Harbor within the Sarasota framework.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree it is definetly an impressive sight. Unfortunately with the new bridge you really don't see downtown until you reach the top of the "hump" and you can't see the water near the bridge. On the old draw bridge you had a great view the whole way. They do however have much better sidewalks and you get a much more impressive view from there.

Additionally if you are driving north/west on 41 near the Selby Gardens where the curve is you have a great view of Island Park, the Sailboats and the bridge. Again, unfortunately in the interests of safety the road was reengineered and is banked now so you don't have as good of a view. They used to have flashing warning lights about the curve and people actually slowed down. Now you can zoom through much faster, mowing down pedestrians at a better clip and only get a partial view of what you used to be able to.

Oh Well...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived