Nascar Hall of Fame?

ATL4EVER

Who Do You Think Will Get The Nascar Hall of Fame?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Think Will Get The Nascar Hall of Fame?

• ATLANTA
    • CHARLOTTE
    • KANSAS CITY
    • RICKMOND
    • DAYTONA BEACH

Ummmmmm..........ahem......we are trying to convince people around the world that Atlanta is not a hick town? Are you serious? Newnan, now really, I really don't think Atlanta has that complex hanging over her head. I mean I would guess that such a complex began to disappear 30 years ago.

Delta, Coca~Cola, The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the High and Michael C. Carlos Museum of Emory University, the Olympics and countless other events, people and corporations have done enough to forge our identity. Have you been living in the same metro as I have? I don't think Atlanta's image will suffer because of the NASCAR HOF......if it was to be awarded here.

The only thing Atlanta should focus on is being the best she can be......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You and I know that, but believe it or not, there are still some people in other areas of the country that don't realize how modern and progressive. Just look on TV and you'll see it. On designing Women the characters act like Scralett O'Hara and we all know that people in Atlanta aren't like that. You see it in other places too. I mean, have you ever seen a movie or TV show on TV set in Atlanta where the people are young, sophisticated, urbanites? No. Everyonr who lives in Atlanta apparently has a southern drawl. There are still many people who don't see us for what we really are and that's why I'm worried about The Nascar hall of fame. Yeah, what we really need in Atlanta is a bunch of pickup trucks with the rebel flags flying from them rolling into town full of rednecks who wanna learn about Dale Earnhardt. Yup, that'll show people that Atlanta is a modern progressive city. Maybe then we can have a hog calling contest in centennial olympic park.. come on

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You and I know that, but believe it or not, there are still some people in other areas of the country that don't realize how modern and progressive. Just look on TV and you'll see it. On designing Women the characters act like Scralett O'Hara and we all know that people in Atlanta aren't like that. You see it in other places too. I mean, have you ever seen a movie or TV show on TV set in Atlanta where the people are young, sophisticated, urbanites? No. Everyonr who lives in Atlanta apparently has a southern drawl. There are still many people who don't see us for what we really are and that's why I'm worried about The Nascar hall of fame. Yeah, what we really need in Atlanta is a bunch of pickup trucks with the rebel flags flying from them rolling into town full of rednecks who wanna learn about Dale Earnhardt.  Yup, that'll show people that Atlanta is a modern progressive city. Maybe then we can have a hog calling contest in centennial olympic park.. come on

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assure you, Newnan, Atlanta is not viewed as a hick town by most around the nation. Those that still view it that way will probably never have their opinion changed.

I told people in Washington DC, Chicago, Cleveland, Cinncinati, and several other places that I have visited that I am from Atlanta. Their usual responses were "Oh, I went down there for the Olympics. It's such a pretty city" or "You know, I saw it the Olympics. It looks pretty nice down there."

The Olympics proved to the world that were no just some overgrown, backwoods, backwards, sort of town. Besides what's wrong with allowing a bit of Southern Culture infiltrating a city that has been called the region's capital? Atlanta's beauty is it's ability to connect with its past (ssee "Cyclorama") and it's future (see "1180 Peachtree" or "1996 Olympics")

BTW: "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" and "Beautyshop" didn't seem to display much of a hick town appearance. Not all of the characters in "Designing Women" were Scarlett O'Hara's either.

Oh newnan, don't worry about it. Most people think Charlotteans are bible belters, Dallas residents are cowboys & Miamians are Cubans. I don't care for NASCAR & I don't like the design & location (for this project) but I think there are plenty of people in Atlanta (northerners included) that would love to have this money maker.

Until this city prioritizes a symphony hall over a mega million fish tank, this is the reality of Atlanta.

You and I know that, but believe it or not, there are still some people in other areas of the country that don't realize how modern and progressive. Just look on TV and you'll see it. On designing Women the characters act like Scralett O'Hara and we all know that people in Atlanta aren't like that.

Ummmmm, I don't know how old you are but Designing Women hasn't been on TV since I was a preteen. If someone is basing their opinion of Atlanta on a TV show that occured in the 80's then there is not much we can do about that, now is it? They are stuck in the past anyway. Designing Women was 20 years ago.

You see it in other places too. I mean, have you ever seen a movie or TV show on TV set in Atlanta where the people are young, sophisticated, urbanites? No. Everyonr who lives in Atlanta apparently has a southern drawl.

I have seen many references to Atlanta and they didn't have southern drawls. Besides, why are you so worried about someone from Atlanta having a southern drawl. Atlanta is a southern city. Why try to be something we are not? If there are people here with southern drawls then so what? Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin is all up on TV be it local or national....and she doesn't have a drawl. Having a southern drawl doesn't equate to being a hick. If someone's small mind can't see beyond that then to Hell with them.

There are still many people who don't see us for what we really are and that's why I'm worried about The Nascar hall of fame.

What's funny about your stance is that you are against the idea of being hick but Newnan is still trying to shed it's hickness. Coweta County is not exactly known for it's progressiveness. It's not backwards but it's not a Fayette County either. You chose to buy a house and make a home there......unless you are too young to move away from Newnan. Newnan is the epitome of southern town.

Then again whoooooooooooooooooooo cares what someone thinks of Atlanta. Usually when I hear someone constantly saying this or that about Atlanta they are usually jealous. If a person or city is proud of it's own accomplishments then they wouldn't have time trying to down another.

Yeah, what we really need in Atlanta is a bunch of pickup trucks with the rebel flags flying from them rolling into town full of rednecks who wanna learn about Dale Earnhardt.  Yup, that'll show people that Atlanta is a modern progressive city. Maybe then we can have a hog calling contest in centennial olympic park.. come on

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find it very hard to believe you live in Newnan saying such things about Nascar. I'm not a fan of Nascar but I have enough sense to know that many of Nascar's fans are not as stereotypical as you are making them out to be. It sounds lile you have the hang up and how people will precieve you. As a mother, I will tell you what I would any of my children.....you can't live your life constantly trying to please all people. You will never succeed because while you are bending over backwards to make everyone else feel you are one way, you will be denying who you are.

Many people have complained that Atlanta has lost alot of what made it so special in the first place. I have been in Atlanta for many many many years and with each passing year Atlanta moves further and further from it's past. Nascar is trying to reach a broader demographic than it currently appeals to so I highly doubt that anyone older than 14 will see the HOF here and think "Atlanta must be hick because they have a Nascar HOF." How ignorant such a statement would be. If you fear the thoughts of these people then I say don't. Why give credit to a person with ignorant thoughts?

The quicker you embrace that the better you will be. You'll drive yourself nuts worrying about what others think of you.

I live In Newnan because my parents moved there, and no I 'm not constantly worried about what others think of me, I'm just a little concerned about what kind of image the Nascar hall of fame will bring. We obviously just have differing opinions so lets just bury the hatchet lady celeste. P.S. believe it or not, You are one of my favorite forumers on this website. I think your posts are informative and inciteful

I live In Newnan because my parents moved there, and no I 'm not constantly worried about what others think of me, I'm just a little concerned about what kind of image the Nascar hall of fame will bring. We obviously just have differing opinions so lets just bury the hatchet lady celeste.                                                                                                                                                                                          P.S. believe it or not, You are one of my favorite forumers on this website. I think your posts are informative and inciteful

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry about what kind of image it will bring...it certainly won't be that negative or damaging to Atlanta's reputation as a modern city in the South (when they try to make a Jeff Foxworthy monument, then we can riot).

As I said before, what's wrong with a little bit of Souhern culture infiltrating a city that's been called "the capital of the New South"? B)

Peace...Let's just bury the hatchet like you said ^_^

I live In Newnan because my parents moved there, and no I 'm not constantly worried about what others think of me, I'm just a little concerned about what kind of image the Nascar hall of fame will bring. We obviously just have differing opinions so lets just bury the hatchet lady celeste.                                                                                                                                                                                          P.S. believe it or not, You are one of my favorite forumers on this website. I think your posts are informative and inciteful

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheer up. Getting the Nascar Hall of Fame will not bring a bad image on Atlanta. The HOF will be just another feather in the cap. Hey, I live in Charlotte and work at a bank, and walking past the rows and rows of cubes, I see NASCAR paraphenalia. If the hall of fame is awarded to Charlotte, I'm not worried about the image. The only reason I may not want it award to Charlotte is that I don't want my taxes to pay for it.

by the way, the word is "insightful" not "inciteful"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

and then there were three.....

If you look at the top you can see that at one time I didn't really want Atlanta to get this Hall of fame, but after considering this issue and looking at what it would do for Atlanta, I now want us to get it. Another hall of fame in the centennial district would make that area and the city even better, Just wanted you all to know that I've made a turn around.

Oh, and Newnan is NOT a hicktown! Just kidding LC

Atlanta among final three in bid for NASCAR Hall - AJC

"NASCAR expects to pick a winning city by March, and Atlanta's bid effort now faces off against two communities with historic ties to the sport and emotional bonds with racing fans."

I say Daytona will go next. It'll be between Atlanta and Charlotte, IMO.

It's official. In the AJC this morning it says that Kansas city and Richmond are no longer in the race. That leaves Atlanta, Charlotte, and Daytona Beach.

Atlanta is the only city that stands out from the other two. We are the only city without roots of the sport and the largest international prescence. Forgive me for my short post, but I wanted to be the first to share this infrormation.

We are the only city without roots of the sport ...

Wait a minute, Student, Atlanta has huge roots in the sport!!!

The moonshiners were racing stock cars way back in the 1930's at the Lakewood Fairgounds. Then, they built Lakewood Speedway and it became a legendary NASCAR track. Subsequently, they built Atlanta International about 1960 (subsequently the Atlanta Motor Speedway) and it has always been a major stop on the circuit. Every great racer battled it out in Atlanta and NASCAR has always had a huge following here. Have you ever been down to the Atlanta 500? Wow, it's a gargantuan event!

Of course we've also got Bill Elliott, who was "Driver of the Decade" for the 1980's!

Check out this article on Atlanta's early NASCAR history:

"In 1938, Lakewood hosted Indy cars, modifieds, stock cars, midgets, motorcycles, horses, and even boats in the infield lake. Lakewood became known as the Indianapolis of the South and boasted being the largest track in the south. Crowds reached the 30,000 mark. Races were sanctioned by the Central States Auto Racing Association, the International Stock Car Racing Association, the Motor Internationale Association, the Atlantic States Racing Association, and the Gulf States Automobile Association. After the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941, the National Office of Defense Transportation banned motorized sporting events due to a shortage of material. Lakewood Speedway would remain quiet for 4 years before racing would return.

Lakewood hosted its first NASCAR Grand National event on November 11, 1951. Tim Flock scored the win in the first NASCAR Grand National Division Lakewood 100 driving a Hudson. Lakewood’s final NASCAR Grand National event was held on June 14, 1959 with Lee Petty winning the Lakewood 150 driving a Plymouth. The Atlanta International Speedway, a 1.5-mile asphalt oval was opened in Hampton, Georgia in 1960, and the new venue began to drain on Lakewood’s appeal. Lakewood Speedway saw significant improvements and resurfacing in 1967. The track officially closed on September 3, 1979."

Here's another good article on the history of the Atlanta track from the NASCAR website.

^^ Wow, I didn't know that.

I wonder if the France family is taking those aquarium statistics into consideration. It hasn't even been open for 2 full months and has had almost half a million visits. That is amazing. The Nascar Hall Of Fame could absorb some of that action and be just as successful. The longer they procrastinate the winner, the higher the aquarium's figures get (if this trend continues it'll be like 1 million).

I understand. One thought that crossed my mind was "Who would travel out of their way to Richmond to go to see racing paraphernalia?" The same thought applies for Kansas city as well. Many people in Atlanta who go to these types of things are conventioneers who are new to the city and want to check things out, as well as returning conventioneers who are taking advantage of time in the city. I certainly think this should go in a different location. Space around the park is limited and could be used for something that is "worthwhile". Not to say that this isn't, but I'm sure something more "creative" could go there.

On the Nascar website, they have a poll which allows you to vote for which city you think should have the HOF. Atlanta's in last place with 10%, and guess which city is winning with 32% C-H-A-R-L-O-T-T-E. I realize this doesn't guarantee we won't get it, but It still disappointed me a little.

Archived