Tampa | St. Pete | Clearwater Projects

spenser1058

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Tampa’s City Council shoots down the proposed AC Marriott hotel tower on Harbour Island again:

http://wwww.tampabay.com/news/tampa/2022/12/16/tampa-city-council-nixes-harbour-island-hotel-second-time/

From The Tampa Bay Times

Hopefully, our proposed hotel and convention center project in South Eola has disappeared. If not, I anticipate a similar reaction from those residents.

Just because a here today, gone tomorrow developer made a bad choice of location doesn’t mean citizens have to accept it. Sense of place is everything. It’s good to see the Tampa City Council using the backbone Orlando’s old-timers lost years ago.

‘“The hotel would have created desperately needed jobs in our community, built tourism, and boosted the local economy…”’

It’s odd given Florida’s 2.7% unemployment rate to bring that tired old trope up again, especially given hospitality workers are perpetually underpaid in the state and tend to overuse what few local services the state offers. In any event, another location would create those same mediocre jobs. Let’s update our tired old excuses, shall we?

I watched this back in May. The city will lose in court or they will settle and the building will be 8 stories instead of 10. 

I believe there is a DRI that needs to be amended to make this work but if I recall, but the DRI has plenty of development density on the island. 

6 minutes ago, jack said:

I watched this back in May. The city will lose in court or they will settle and the building will be 8 stories instead of 10. 

I believe there is a DRI that needs to be amended to make this work but if I recall, but the DRI has plenty of development density on the island. 

I agree with the likely result but sometimes just the attempt is worth while. To learn how to get what you want, you have to see the process in action. Cities are not powerless in the face of deep-pocketed developers, but the citizens have to learn to push back.

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I agree with the likely result but sometimes just the attempt is worth while. To learn how to get what you want, you have to see the process in action. Cities are not powerless in the face of deep-pocketed developers, but the citizens have to learn to push back.

My issue is if your city attorney advises against it (I don't know if he did) and the city ends up losing a lawsuit, that is a violation of being a steward of tax payer money. Let the money come out of their pocket. Another reason the revisit QI and absolute immunity 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack said:

My issue is if your city attorney advises against it (I don't know if he did) and the city ends up losing a lawsuit, that is a violation of being a steward of tax payer money. Let the money come out of their pocket. Another reason the revisit QI and absolute immunity 

That’s true but you should probably tell that to DeSatan and the Legislature. How many millions have they wasted on court cases over the last four years that staff told them they would lose before the bills were ever passed?

The City of Tampa is pursuing the possibility with the port to use its Terminal 2 and extend the popular downtown Riverwalk:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/w2022/12/20/is-downtown-tampa-closer-opening-up-cruise-port-extend-riverwalk/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

Edited by spenser1058

On 12/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, spenser1058 said:

That’s true but you should probably tell that to DeSatan and the Legislature. How many millions have they wasted on court cases over the last four years that staff told them they would lose before the bills were ever passed?

Yeah, when elected officials knowingly violate their oath of office, they should be sued or recalled.