Cousins Tremont Doggett Towers

KJHburg

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

my opinion doesn't matter here, but what sticks out to me is what a total miss these buildings are aesthetically.  the ashton, lowes tower, portman residential project in process, and many of the low-slung buildings in the immediate area such as the design center are heavily brick.  i find the brick to be authentically carolina, and its concentration in this area adds to its identifiability and charm.  that cousins is running away from it with these designs is rather disappointing.

I think variety is great. Have all buildings with brick facades would be boring.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, norm21499 said:

I think variety is great. Have all buildings with brick facades would be boring.

a central motif is a way for an urban district to achieve brand differentiation.  i still feel south end is in the early stage of building an identifiable aesthetic, and you can still achieve lots of variety with brick as a design premise.  but of course, people will disagree.

1 minute ago, RANYC said:

a central motif is a way for an urban district to achieve brand differentiation.  i still feel south end is in the early stage of building an identifiable aesthetic, and you can still achieve lots of variety with brick as a design premise.  but of course, people will disagree.

South End already has an identifiable brand. If it didn't, it wouldn't be the neighborhood it is now.  The brick industrial building vibe is the identifiable aesthetic. A lot of high-rises may move away from this, and that's okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

I don't know about others but to me the beauty of a district lies in its variety and aesthetic differences from one block to the next. Too much homogeny and it ends up looking like a campus. Just look at Legacy Union, I love Brooklyn Village Avenue, but walking up it today I couldn't help but tire over all the blue glass and beige/greige facades. Part of the beauty of the Meat Packing District in NYC is how buildings of so many different styles break away from the warehouse underpinnings of the neighborhood. That's how I see South End — a brick base with tying the district together with pops of terracotta, steel and glass. 

Of course, this is all conjecture and subjective leaning, but take, for example, Boston's Beacon Hill is old, yes, but also tony and intimate and enveloping and even with rampant brick, has an eclectic architectural sensibility.  I think some foundational sameness that is then used to underpin a wide variety of architectural flourish can be a powerful additive to brand development and recognizability. 

Of course, my grievance with the design might very well be misplaced.  What South End is lacking for me might very well be a civic gathering spot such as what a pedestrianized Camden Road could be, and were that to happen, then that foundational unifier I crave would be found in a Camden Plaza, and not so much brick-laced building design.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1