Proposed Downtown Amphitheater

joeDowntown

4 minutes ago, Jonesey said:

Did these people actually move to a developing downtown and expect peace and quiet?  I worked on that stretch of market and the heavy commercial vehicles would shake our building, it's not exactly quiet.

There is zero chance a few NIMBYs will stop this

Stop? No

Stall? They are trying. It's failing. But they're trying. Some people are exhausting. 

But I can say when I worked at one building downtown that has condos, some residents tried to stop everything or complain about every new project. 

Edited by Cookin_peacocks
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/grand-rapids-set-to-issue-80-5m-in-bonds-for-acrisure-amphitheater-and-relocation/

"The Grand Rapids City Commission will consider issuing $80.5 million in capital improvement bonds at tonight’s meeting for the Acrisure Amphitheater project.

Part of the bond, in the amount of $60 million, will go toward construction, renovation and remediation costs at 1500 Scribner Ave. NW, the former Kent County Road Commission property where the city is moving various services to clear the way for the amphitheater at 201 Market Ave. SW. The other $20.5 million of the bond will go toward constructing the $184 million amphitheater."

• Like 3

Based on one of the development plans recently shown, I wonder if the site will be closest to the Amphitheater (red outline), or a little bit south (blue outline). I would hope they start closest to the Amphitheater, but it looks like the parking would be built over the 116 surface lot. So maybe they are starting south? 

While it's further from the core, It could be a boon for the Market and and Grandville/Cesar Chavez. It'd be across the street from 234 Market (Apartments/Planet Fitness) and not far from Founders, Tin Can, etc.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 9.49.15 AM.png

This only enhances the skyline IF the part north of 131 is taller including opportunity for new tallest in the city at the corner of market and fulton, if its the same blob of 20 story buildings across the already spread out skyline, it will look worse in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, GR8scott said:

This only enhances the skyline IF the part north of 131 is taller including opportunity for new tallest in the city at the corner of market and fulton, if its the same blob of 20 story buildings across the already spread out skyline, it will look worse in my opinion. 

Well look at you Debbie Downer! 🤣🤣🤣.

Regardless, it's a huge amount of new housing stock added to the core, which helps with the our housing shortage, AND adds density. I think most of us here would take these developments every day of the week. :)

Joe

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Got a question.

"If approved the apartment building that would sit near the amphitheater, could be built as soon as 2026. It would sit at 21 stories high and include 475 apartments and a six story parking garage, all for the price tag of $271 million."

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/proposed-high-rise-plan-could-bring-hundreds-apartments-near-new-grand-rapids-amphitheater-soccer-field/69-f73ef255-8c1a-4e03-a530-258166d078ad?fbclid=IwAR3CucWXHqNdXvtpxCimCt3VfEH7fGP1qOTniOKna-bTnvFMNPFwF__gofQ

So would this be 21 stories on top of 6 parking floors? Or 21 total?

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

So would this be 21 stories on top of 6 parking floors? Or 21 total?

Total speculation, but I think it would be 21 stories plus an additional parking ramp. 450 apartments would require a pretty large building.

Studio Park will have ~165 apartments on 11 floors  so 21 stories seems about right  

Joe

• 2 weeks later...