Jackson Ward / Gilpin

whw53

48 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Hello, long time lurker. Finally decided to make an account and start contributing.

Looking for some advice and (I think) this seems like the right place for it. I have a few rental properties in Jackson Ward that produce good profit. They're in very good condition and quality. I've been toying with the idea of selling them but just am not sure. I know I can get $320-350k for one that's close to the bridge with Gilpin and maybe $370-400k for another near Gwar bar. Would you sell? I'm curious what people think of Jackson Ward as a long term hold. Have no idea what will happen with Gilpin and how that will affect Jackson Ward. Do you think Jackson Ward will have a big "jump" in development and prices? I doubt it will be like Scott's Addition but am wondering if it's still considered by many as up-and-coming or "up-and-came" already?

I think Jackson Ward is one of the best long-term places to be. That section of Broad right next to it is primed to blow up.  I think once Gilpin gets redeveloped, that section of Broad will be revitalized.  It will be between the coolest corridor in the city and the biggest new re-development area in recent history.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Hello, long time lurker. Finally decided to make an account and start contributing.

Looking for some advice and (I think) this seems like the right place for it. I have a few rental properties in Jackson Ward that produce good profit. They're in very good condition and quality. I've been toying with the idea of selling them but just am not sure. I know I can get $320-350k for one that's close to the bridge with Gilpin and maybe $370-400k for another near Gwar bar. Would you sell? I'm curious what people think of Jackson Ward as a long term hold. Have no idea what will happen with Gilpin and how that will affect Jackson Ward. Do you think Jackson Ward will have a big "jump" in development and prices? I doubt it will be like Scott's Addition but am wondering if it's still considered by many as up-and-coming or "up-and-came" already?

JW could have been another MD type area but they seem to be putting in large apartments wherever they can, as well as low income housing.  On top of that as the Fan prices continue to go through the roof owners are selling what used to be split level apartments to convert back to SFHs, and it seems a lot of those renters (VCU students) are moving to JW.   So it will be interesting to see what happens to the vibe of the neighborhood and SFHs as a result.  I mean there are SFHs in SA but no family wants to live there, JW seems to be headed a similar direction.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Really depends on what you intend to do with your proceeds. Pocket them or do you intend to 1031 into something else? Pricing is rich right now, so finding something that provides a similar yield may be challenging.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Really depends on what you intend to do with your proceeds. Pocket them or do you intend to 1031 into something else? Pricing is rich right now, so finding something that provides a similar yield may be challenging.

At this point, I'm happy to sell at least one property and just pay off my mortgage. I'm only 30 but it's always been a dream of mine to be mortgage free. But I'm worried I'm leaving a lot of money on the table 3-5 years from now. 

• 1 month later...

Hoping this means we will see ground broken in the very near future.  LOVE the name - good choice.

Coupe - I agree with you 100% - great to see these projects starting to rise one after the other after the other now - with plenty more that have been announced/planned still to come.

Edited by I miss RVA

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, whw53 said:

The 12 story project at 200 E Marshall is now known as the 'Admiral'. Great news - Land Disturbance plans were submitted today. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/2497b372-ae78-4ecd-b43e-c31846d07f1b

"The Admiral is a mixed use building with 2 commercial spaces and 254 dwelling units."

Wow, now that is some density and height there. Does anyone have any pictures or updates on this? Big project. Love that there will be two commercial spots.  Jackson Ward is a sleeping giant.

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 4

Looks like HG Design Studio is the engineer. They have many notable projects that fit this need, you can see here: https://1hg.net/portfolio/

We are probably looking at something like their Scott's View, The Summit,  (in Scotts Addition) and the Penny (in Jackson Ward). 

I'm not a huge fan of The Penny look, feel, and design but to fit 254 apartments I'd wager the design will most likely mimic that. Would be great if they went more stone/brick like Scott's View. However, they are technically not in the Jackson Ward Historic District so they are not limited to a certain design just like they did with The Penny, of which the residents were not happy with. 

For comparison, The Penny is 6 story apartment building with 166 apartments. The Admiral will be 12 stories (according the city records) and almost 100 more apartments. That's a really big project for the city and Jackson Ward. 

The Summit in Scotts Addition is a 6 story 166 unit apartment building as well, literally a copy of The Penny which is quite funny. 

• Like 1

@ancientcarpentercheck pages 2 & 3 in this thread for some renderings of this project. Yes, typical Walter Parks but too high for the classic U shaped 'pool courtyard' design - this one sort of an L-shaped hotel looking design. I'm reserving my final judgment until later, Walter Parks dosn't always put out the best renderings but I find myself usually liking their end products. Besides.. 12 stories in the Ward ? Like you said..wow. 

Edit - Also, Penny was barely outside the historic district as well. FYI It looks like Historic Jackson Ward is looking to expand these OHD boundaries  - havn't see the proposal yet. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, whw53 said:

@ancientcarpentercheck pages 2 & 3 in this thread for some renderings of this project. Yes, typical Walter Parks but too high for the classic U shaped 'pool courtyard' design - this one sort of an L-shaped hotel looking design. I'm reserving my final judgment until later, Walter Parks dosn't always put out the best renderings but I find myself usually liking their end products. Besides.. 12 stories in the Ward ? Like you said..wow. 

Thanks for that. For anyone joining late or googling "The Admiral" like me, you won't get the RichmondBizSense article because I assume the name is new. Here it is: https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/16/12-story-apartment-building-planned-for-jackson-ward-parking-lot/

It's interesting that the article says there will be a rooftop terrace, fitness center, and a pool. I'm curious where that pool will be, I assume in the open space of the pictured rendering where they conveniently have another building blocking the "pool" that is the open green/courtyard space in the rendering? 

I personally like that it is an L shape, rather than the U shape. Feels open to the community more and doesn't make the space feel crammed together. The U shape, 12 story design with a pool is technically possible (https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/10/08/developer-buys-site-of-planned-12-story-broad-street-tower-for-3m/) so who knows if we see a new design. I'm really curious when we will see more. This is pretty big and, as the article states, this same developer has another giant piece of property in Jackson Ward and so does another developer down the street. We could see 500-600 units being built very soon in Jackson Ward.

I'll be at next Tuesday's Historic Jackson Ward Association meeting so maybe we get a sneak peak.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

It's interesting that the article says there will be a rooftop terrace, fitness center, and a pool. I'm curious where that pool will be, I assume in the open space of the pictured rendering where they conveniently have another building blocking the "pool" that is the open green/courtyard space in the rendering? 

Looks like a small pool below the roof gap in the old renderings:
jwrender2.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I'll be at next Tuesday's Historic Jackson Ward Association meeting so maybe we get a sneak peak.

@ancientcarpenter Please give us a recap here  - would be much appreciated. Can anyone attend or must one be a member? My next Tuesday evening is spoken for but would be interested in observing one of these meetings at some point.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, whw53 said:

@ancientcarpenter Please give us a recap here  - would be much appreciated. Can anyone attend or must one be a member? My next Tuesday evening is spoken for but would be interested in observing one of these meetings at some point.

Anyone is welcome to join, especially people that don't live in the neighborhood. Check out www.HJWA.org for details and see if you can get on the mailing list as well. We usually meet every third Tuesday (Sept 21) at 6pm. It's been virtual for pandemic but I believe this one coming up will be in person. 

• Like 2

Jackson Ward meeting details tonight 6pm virtual:

Hello Everyone --
A reminder of the community meeting scheduled for Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 6pm. This is a virtual meeting and the Zoom invite is included below. If you have questions or need additional info, please let us know at [email protected]
Historic Jackson Ward is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: HJWA Community Meeting - Sept 2021
Time: Sep 21, 2021 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 865 4353 6214
Passcode: 08498
Agenda items include (but are not limited to):
Legislative Update - Delegate Jeff Bourne
Community Reports
Updates:
2nd St Festival - Venture Richmond
Mavis Wynn & Sharon Bassard
Development projects
Jackson Ward Permit Parking - 2021
Other
Upcoming Community Events
Tree Planting - Irina Calos
Other
New Business
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing tonight - I was enticed by the blurb 'development projects'- unfortunately not much to that section to report ... however the host said that is because there is SO much going on that they will have a special meeting next month only to talk development!

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Thanks for sharing tonight - I was enticed by the blurb 'development projects'- unfortunately not much to that section to report ... however the host said that is because there is SO much going on that they will have a special meeting next month only to talk development!

Yeah, I logged into the meeting late, but they had already talked about development (I was wondering what I missed).  Thanks for the report!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whw53 said:

I'm looking forward to that October meeting and will post details as soon as I hear more. I have no doubt that we will know about most of them here beforehand but if we get a sneak peak at a project or two or extra details it will worthwhile. 

Jackson Ward has many open lots ready to be developed.

Gilpin Court (aka North Jackson Ward thanks to racism/highway of the past) is already seeing 120+ market rate apartments in plan (some already developed and renting now) which is a great sign:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/06/29/maggie-walkers-bank-building-converted-to-apartments-developer-plans-dozens-more-next-door/

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/feb/28/st-luke-building-ready-tenants/

I know the talk has been to essentially demo Gilpin court / N. Jackson Ward but I've never actually read real plans or details behind it. Does anyone have any sources besides "talk" of it? 

Looks like there is a point of contact for the re-merging of Jackson Ward and Gilpin / N. Jackson Ward by 2 block bridge. I believe the meeting said they are currently in the funding stage which is great. Always nice to actually have someone in charge in the government of a particular objective than vague statements of "we are working on it" + for questioning and updates. For anyone that doesn't know, the plan is to merge the two neighborhoods back together by building a 2 block bridge to create a seamless transition... not only will it be historically significant but also great for RVA and RVA development since it would kick Gilpin / N. Jackson Ward into high gear.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/07/06/bridging-the-gap-richmond-300-plan-envisions-reconnecting-jackson-ward/

Jackson Ward, Gilpin, and Monroe Ward are in perfect spots for development. Many open lots and great potential. Wonderful place to invest in property but also to live. The proximity to the city, bio-tech, hospital, VCU, grocery store (kroger), restaurants, and bus lines is a formula for success in my opinion. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what they do with the coliseum-area development as there is no coliseum coming and the city has included apartments, entertainment, parks, bike lanes, restaurants, and shopping in most of the rendered options in surveys so that's really exciting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I know the talk has been to essentially demo Gilpin court / N. Jackson Ward but I've never actually read real plans or details behind it. Does anyone have any sources besides "talk" of it? 

Looks like there is a point of contact for the re-merging of Jackson Ward and Gilpin / N. Jackson Ward by 2 block bridge. I believe the meeting said they are currently in the funding stage which is great. Always nice to actually have someone in charge in the government of a particular objective than vague statements of "we are working on it" + for questioning and updates. For anyone that doesn't know, the plan is to merge the two neighborhoods back together by building a 2 block bridge to create a seamless transition... not only will it be historically significant but also great for RVA and RVA development since it would kick Gilpin / N. Jackson Ward into high gear.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/07/06/bridging-the-gap-richmond-300-plan-envisions-reconnecting-jackson-ward/

They have been going about it through a phased approach.  First was to develop the old Armstrong site in order to relocate residents out of Creighton Court.  Once Creighton is leveled and rebuilt then another court can be replaced, and on and on.  I would not be surprised if Gilpin is the next in line followed by Fairfield, Mosby and Whitcomb (no clear order).

I am definitely looking forward to seeing the bridge executed.  Hopefully it goes well and spurs further highway caps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I'm looking forward to that October meeting and will post details as soon as I hear more. I have no doubt that we will know about most of them here beforehand but if we get a sneak peak at a project or two or extra details it will worthwhile. 

Jackson Ward has many open lots ready to be developed.

Gilpin Court (aka North Jackson Ward thanks to racism/highway of the past) is already seeing 120+ market rate apartments in plan (some already developed and renting now) which is a great sign:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/06/29/maggie-walkers-bank-building-converted-to-apartments-developer-plans-dozens-more-next-door/

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/feb/28/st-luke-building-ready-tenants/

Jackson Ward, Gilpin, and Monroe Ward are in perfect spots for development. Many open lots and great potential. Wonderful place to invest in property but also to live. The proximity to the city, bio-tech, hospital, VCU, grocery store (kroger), restaurants, and bus lines is a formula for success in my opinion. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what they do with the coliseum-area development as there is no coliseum coming and the city has included apartments, entertainment, parks, bike lanes, restaurants, and shopping in most of the rendered options in surveys so that's really exciting.

Here's hoping we'll see more developments like The Admiral, set to rise at 2nd & Marshall, especially on lots in the open blocks/parcels closer to City Center and Broad Street.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, I miss RVA said:

Here's hoping we'll see more developments like The Admiral, set to rise at 2nd & Marshall, especially on lots in the open blocks/parcels closer to City Center and Broad Street.

Well...here's something....scratching my head on this one ...is JWard about to get a skinny tower? SUP filed today for 210 W Marshall to  'authorize the construction of a 13 story mixed use building.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/4755ddab-d64c-42e7-9e09-9dc0dab931f4

This lot is real skinny though - what do yal think - is this a typo or maybe they forgot to list an adjoining lot?

Edit: So 210 EAST Marshall includes the Admiral lot...was thinking maybe a typo there ..but no i cross checked the parcel  and owner info listed with the city GIS app and it checks out..

Edit 2: Note the tan below - that is the Old and Historic District boundary - anything on this site will have to go in front of the CAR board.

210WMarshall.jpg

210WMarshall_GE.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1