NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

The CBJ had an article this morning about Uptown Village. It is a two page interview with Noah about the development. He sounds like he is going to start something soon but I am still doubting anything substantial will happen up in the Fourth Ward Corner.

Haven't there been about 10 articles in all kinds of publications saying the same thing over the past few years?

The story just never seems to change. I'd love to see something actually announced and begun there rather than just more talk about big ideas.

No doubt, I've heard a lot about this for a long time, but not much activity yet.

Live very near there and drive by often. The area where the stage has been built and the two buildings surrounding the stage all have a nice look to them, if they could get the rest of the place to take shape in that same mold, it has potential. But still no news or grand openings all this time is discouraging.

Is a possible City-fest concert type event a possibility? Usually a spring/summer event, may be running out of time for this year.

Is a possible City-fest concert type event a possibility? Usually a spring/summer event, may be running out of time for this year.

It would be a great attention-getter if he did do another city-fest and used this location! What a way to get people who can't quite grasp where this is to finally know. I miss those festivals -- wonder why he quit doing them?

The current Business Journal article says the Music Factory component of this project will be up and running by late summer. It would be nice to see that.

They also list a couple tenants, Wet Willies "a daquiri bar", and Butter, a "lounge". There are unnamed themed components (not clear in the article if there are tenants for these or if it is just what space is designated for: an English Pub, a Sushi Bar with rock-and-roll, Thai, a 10,000 SF country music bar, a 20,000 SF music venue, and a dance club.

As far as the "non-live music" places go it will be interesting to see them square off with EpiCentre which seems to have similar tenants coming. Hopefully they will both work.

Will someone please develop/build RETAIL??

Edited by Charlotte_native

Just because this website is silent about this project, does not mean this project has been innactive. I have been by the site several times and each time there has been a major improvement to the site over the last time I visited. And when I spoke with one of the architects, she said the House of Blues is still scheduled to open in this project.

Maybe they are waiting on the Seaboard St. extension to be completed before they begin any major construction. They have started the extension already right?

I think they are more waiting for tenants. The Biz Journal article implied they have been moving along regardless and along with the street extention (wouldn't think they have much doubt it is going to happen, they are paying for it). They have been moving along with plans, architectural, etc.

There is a lot of prep work to the buildings and site and parking that can be done regardless of who the end tenant will be, but actual build-out of spaces is risky before knowing who is going in them as those plans and needs can change depending on the end user. I haven't seen anything that implies they aren't moving forward on many aspects, but the articles I've read state clearly that Ark won't be managing or owning any entertainment businesses in the venues, just leasing them out, therefore they need tenants in place for the spaces and it would be likely they are competing for those tenants with other projects coming into center city. Same situation at Epicentre, there still have very few announced definite tenants.

These projects either have tenants that are not yet ready to reveal themselves, or they have not come to terms or found groups to fill the spaces or the groups haven't decided if they want to be there.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I know that the Comedy Zone is closed or will be closing on North College but I thought they were moving into EpiCentre. If they are moving into the NC Music Factory than that is a HUGE win for Noah. This would be the first business with roots in Charlotte to get into the Factory.

I know that the Comedy Zone is closed or will be closing on North College but I thought they were moving into EpiCentre. If they are moving into the NC Music Factory than that is a HUGE win for Noah. This would be the first business with roots in Charlotte to get into the Factory.

The Comedy Zone is NOT moving to the Epicenter.... There is a good chance it will be in the NC Music Factory...will let you know as soon as I hear

The Comedy Zone is NOT moving to the Epicenter.... There is a good chance it will be in the NC Music Factory...will let you know as soon as I hear

I could see a venue like the Comedy Zone thriving in the Music Factory, but only AFTER the complex was well-established and successful. Having them there from day one sounds a tad risky. I guess they have their reasons (or limitations;fiscal or otherwise) for not opting for a more high-visibility/central less isolated location like the Epicentre.

I could see a venue like the Comedy Zone thriving in the Music Factory, but only AFTER the complex was well-established and successful. Having them there from day one sounds a tad risky. I guess they have their reasons (or limitations;fiscal or otherwise) for not opting for a more high-visibility/central less isolated location like the Epicentre.

Yeah I was kinda hoping it would be in the Epicenter, or at least near the core of Uptown that is close to the other entertainment type venues like Bobcats Arena, Blumenthal, etc...

• 1 month later...

Time for the semi-annual teaser to be reprinted in the O.

The only "new" bit of information, other than a glimmer of hope that this project will see the light of day (someday), is the phrasing of QUOTE: large music venue affiliated with House of Blues. END QUOTE. Since no one was sure if we would actually have a REAL HoB, I'd say this clarfies that a little more.

Oh, and if you were to read this article in the print version, they included a map to demonstrate the extention of Seaboard under Interstate 27. Yes, Interstate 27. Good for the O and their tallented graphics department! thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

Edited by The Escapists

Drove by yesterday, they have added some of the railings which will surround the outdoor patios of some of the bars or whatever is planned for the section right in front of the main stage thats done. If there is ever a concert there, the seats out there should be great. Bands playing on that stage will be looking at a nice veiw of downtown.

They are still adding in windows just like the hundreds they have already added, to keep the look going around the backsides of the buildings where its currently all brick still. Interested to see how the back still untouched areas are going to be done. They have dug up all of the old concrete that was there apparently for further work. In time this is going to be a nice little area of its own, def not in uptown, which for people like me, will be nice. Its starting to take the shape of a place in Baltimore where they have a bunch of bars and venues that go inside and out, can't remember its name.

Edited by lefty23

These articles seem strage. They come out every month or two but never really say anything new. I hope this project works out, but how do you get so much press without ever really saying anything specific?

Anyway, I did notice in the most recent edition of Uptown Magazine in the project rundown article a project called "Uptown Village" with 124 condos located on the NCMF site on Seaborad Street with a completion date of November 2008. I think this is great news but strange that it was left out of the recent article that seemed to have no real "meat". This would have made more sense as a real announcement of something tangible. The residential component, to me, is every bit as important to this project as the others. I believe this will be the key to drawing people out of downtown property to this corner. It will definitely help support the restaurants and cafes that will be there.

• 2 weeks later...

These articles seem strage. They come out every month or two but never really say anything new. I hope this project works out, but how do you get so much press without ever really saying anything specific?

I ran across this newspaper article and it has some good information about what is going on at the NC Music Factory and what's to come. It appears that there is much more going on than people realize and that the plan is going to eventually come to fruition. Here is the link:

http://www.thestate.com/101/story/48974.html

I ran across this newspaper article and it has some good information about what is going on at the NC Music Factory and what's to come. It appears that there is much more going on than people realize and that the plan is going to eventually come to fruition. Here is the link:

http://www.thestate.com/101/story/48974.html

I drove this again the other day, and I'm becoming more convinced all the time that this project is going to end up with virtually no synergy with uptown. Even calling it "Uptown Village" is a bit deceiving (not to mention an oxymoron). There is absolutely no way that anyone is going to attempt to walk to this place from anywhere else inside 277, which means that it could just as easily have been located in a suburb somewhere for all it will contribute to the social scene. And it scares me a little bit to imagine how many people are going to end up driving the Elmwood Cemetery trails at night, either because they are lost or because they want a shortcut across the street. And most of all, the traffic is going to be out of control when they have large events... there is simply not going to be enough connectivity to distribute the traffic, which means the smaller streets are going to be jammed throughout the night (leading to further problems elsewhere).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can even get into Elmwood Cemetery from Seaboard. So that shouldn't be an issue really. I actually wish they hadn't included so much parking. That would encourage more pedestrians (given pedestrian path improvements over there) to walk around that area. This, in turn could encourage more street level retail to be pushed on this side of town, especially along Seaboard, 11th, and 9th St. The cemetery is pretty well cut off from pedestrians on that side as I believe there is a fence or some kind of natural wall between the railroad tracks and the cemetery grounds.

While I know most people here loath touristy restaurants like Planet Hollywood and Hardrock Cafe, I think these would do fairly well around this area. The more development that is plopped up between this area and uptown, the more people will be encouraged to explore on foot. While there is a good bit of residential around this side of town, there is still room for more development in certain areas. Thus, no matter what is built out towards the village, it will still be cut off from the rest of uptown. I'm not sure there is really a way of getting around that.

I don't think you can even get into Elmwood Cemetery from Seaboard. So that shouldn't be an issue really. I actually wish they hadn't included so much parking. That would encourage more pedestrians (given pedestrian path improvements over there) to walk around that area. This, in turn could encourage more street level retail to be pushed on this side of town, especially along Seaboard, 11th, and 9th St. The cemetery is pretty well cut off from pedestrians on that side as I believe there is a fence or some kind of natural wall between the railroad tracks and the cemetery grounds.

While I know most people here loath touristy restaurants like Planet Hollywood and Hardrock Cafe, I think these would do fairly well around this area. The more development that is plopped up between this area and uptown, the more people will be encouraged to explore on foot. While there is a good bit of residential around this side of town, there is still room for more development in certain areas. Thus, no matter what is built out towards the village, it will still be cut off from the rest of uptown. I'm not sure there is really a way of getting around that.

The police need to work on the security of the area though. Wasn't there a murder in the cemetary this past weekend?

The police need to work on the security of the area though. Wasn't there a murder in the cemetary this past weekend?

I believe someone dumped a body there, but they don't think the murder happened in the cemetary. The victim apparently had spent some time in jail / had a record of sorts.

yea that is not exactly the 4th ward that most people envision when they hear the name of that neighborhood but this area also is not very walkable from uptown im fairly sure i wouldnt walk it in most situations! Of course we already know that its not the most accesible by car either so i guess we will see how much of a problem access is but as things always go how much development around this project will determine the success of the venue