Midtown Memphis News & Developments (Cooper Young, Overton Sq., Orange Mound, Fairgrounds, Crosstown, Broad)

VSRJ

8 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

True. Don’t want it to be a low end brand. Please explain the overlay guidelines for a layperson like me. LOL. 

Per the MBJ, parking will be in the back of the property (which follows the 3.0 guidelines). 

union ave is allowed to have commercial business.  nothing out of place for memphis 3.0

• 2 months later...

It really is amazing to see how this area has transformed into such a vibrant part of the city in just the last 10 years — and it doesn't seem to be slowing down!

EDGE awards LPI, Grubb incentives for $68M phase 2 of Broad Ave. mixed-use development

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/04/21/edge-link-apartments-broad-phase-2-lpi-grubb.html

broad.jpg.8f08b463249f84620674cacf9ece5ac7.jpg

Residents have begun to move into Phase I of the Link Apartments on Broad Avenue. And now the developers are pushing forward with a $68 million Phase II, which proposes a separate site with 200 apartment units, about 14,000 square feet of street-facing commercial space, and more than 60,000 square feet for 410 self-storage units.

LPI Memphis and Grubb Management LLC are the development's co-tenant owners and co-applicants on an application for tax incentives with the Economic Development Growth Engine (EDGE) for Memphis & Shelby County.

EDGE awarded Link Apartments Phase I a 15-year Residential PILOT in 2020. Phase II was approved for a 15-year PILOT (payment-in-lieu-of-taxes) on Wednesday, April 19. It calls for a new development along Broad but east on the other side of Bingham Street from Phase I.

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, VSRJ said:

It really is amazing to see how this area has transformed into such a vibrant part of the city in just the last 10 years — and it doesn't seem to be slowing down!

EDGE awards LPI, Grubb incentives for $68M phase 2 of Broad Ave. mixed-use development

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/04/21/edge-link-apartments-broad-phase-2-lpi-grubb.html

broad.jpg.8f08b463249f84620674cacf9ece5ac7.jpg

I didn’t even know there were historic buildings on Broad when I lived in Memphis in the mid 2000’s. Then after moving away, and moving back to Arkansas, I learned that this area that I had no idea even existed, had been completely revitalized and was very vibrant. 

57 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I didn’t even know there were historic buildings on Broad when I lived in Memphis in the mid 2000’s. Then after moving away, and moving back to Arkansas, I learned that this area that I had no idea even existed, had been completely revitalized and was very vibrant. 

57 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Broad was a somewhat rough area-  there were the old storefronts that are now revitalized with not much in them but an old bar/Broadway Pizza and some industrial type companies and warehouses across the north side that are now being torn down and replaced with apartments.   It was really more of a cut through as all Sam Cooper traffic emptied onto Broad right at Holmes before the Sam Cooper extension was finished in the early 2000's.    From what I recall and was told the whole path of the Sam Cooper extension was already cleared out in the 60's-70's before I-40 was put on hold following the Supreme Court decison to stop it from being built through Overton Park and basically cut off Broad from the rest of the neighborhood  and cleared out a lot of homes and apartments along the way and just sat empty for decades.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and the Sam Cooper extension opened and Broad was used even less and then by the late 2000's/early 2010's you begin to see the push to revitalize it and I definitely think it has a lot of potential, very impressed with what's come along so far.

Becoming one of my favorite areas of town!

Edited by DRG901
Typo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Broad was a somewhat rough area-  there were the old storefronts that are now revitalized with not much in them but an old bar/Broadway Pizza and some industrial type companies and warehouses across the north side that are now being torn down and replaced with apartments.   It was really more of a cut through as all Sam Cooper traffic emptied onto Broad right at Holmes before the Sam Cooper extension was finished in the early 2000's.    From what I recall and was told the whole path of the Sam Cooper extension was already cleared out in the 60's-70's before I-40 was put on hold following the Supreme Court decison to stop it from being built through Overton Park and basically cut off Broad from the rest of the neighborhood  and cleared out a lot of homes and apartments along the way and just sat empty for decades.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and the Sam Cooper extension opened and Broad was used even less and then by the late 2000's/early 2010's you begin to see the push to revitalize it and I definitely think it has a lot of potential, very impressed with what's come along so far.

Becoming one of my favorite areas of town!

From frequently visiting Memphis my whole life, and living there for 4 years, never went down Broad until after the changes.  Didn't go down Sam Cooper all that often.  I remember when there was the "Sam Cooper Sniper" that was shooting at cars.  Yes, Sam Cooper was originally going to be I-40.  It stops at East Parkway because it was halted from cutting through Overton Park by the lawsuit.  So instead, the I-240 North loop was constructed.  They already cleared the Sam Cooper area, as well as the Cross Town Mound area.  Not sure if the roadway for Sam Cooper had already been built by the SC ruling, or was just cleared. 

Interestingly, Binghampton was a rural suburb of Memphis, that was annexed in 1919.  The storefronts on Broad was the downtown area for Binghampton.  Funny how that layout was the best thing for growth and development of a city,  and is still so valuable now, but we can't do it that way anymore.  Just have to preserve what remains.  

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

From frequently visiting Memphis my whole life, and living there for 4 years, never went down Broad until after the changes.  Didn't go down Sam Cooper all that often.  I remember when there was the "Sam Cooper Sniper" that was shooting at cars.  Yes, Sam Cooper was originally going to be I-40.  It stops at East Parkway because it was halted from cutting through Overton Park by the lawsuit.  So instead, the I-240 North loop was constructed.  They already cleared the Sam Cooper area, as well as the Cross Town Mound area.  Not sure if the roadway for Sam Cooper had already been built by the SC ruling, or was just cleared. 

Interestingly, Binghampton was a rural suburb of Memphis, that was annexed in 1919.  The storefronts on Broad was the downtown area for Binghampton.  Funny how that layout was the best thing for growth and development of a city,  and is still so valuable now, but we can't do it that way anymore.  Just have to preserve what remains.  

Yep, definitely a cool and interesting history

History — Broad Avenue Arts District (broadavearts.com)

The Birth of Broad Avenue - Memphis magazine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the other day, I got some insight on the mixed use development happening on Lamar Ave and Willett in the Rozelle neighborhood. So im a Realtor, and I was showing a home in the area. Mind you, the home is a new construction, it sticks out from majority of the homes in the area. There's a couple of new builds already happening there on vacant lots.

So inside this house is this board in the living room area. This is what that corner will look like.  (Sorry im not sure why my picture quality looks bad here, youll have to click the image and zoom in.)Screenshot_20230428_094352_Gallery.thumb.jpg.54d47589de5c2be8fe77efe8e2b3e1ed.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094401_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f858b2d16d004b02329aa182b94e842f.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094428_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f236ed986a6271bd63cda1779fdccd74.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094439_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e58665cf5815125800a15a32ce590942.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094443_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d54c6d9a1719b923aed769ca197d08de.jpg

Screenshot_20230428_094424_Gallery.jpg

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Nice. Memphis 3.0 in effect. Used to take my grandfather to what used to be a grocery store not too far from here on Lamar & Roland.  I wonder if this will be the model for all of Lamar starting from here moving westward.

I hope it is. That area have so much potential. I noticed that vacant lots in that neighborhood and even as far as the Glenview neighborhood where I have a grandparent living, is getting new homes built on them. Says alot about the value of land now. 

I can't wait until some plans are made for the old Lamar theater and the buildings nearby it.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:10 AM, TheKernel91 said:

So the other day, I got some insight on the mixed use development happening on Lamar Ave and Willett in the Rozelle neighborhood. So im a Realtor, and I was showing a home in the area. Mind you, the home is a new construction, it sticks out from majority of the homes in the area. There's a couple of new builds already happening there on vacant lots.

So inside this house is this board in the living room area. This is what that corner will look like.  (Sorry im not sure why my picture quality looks bad here, youll have to click the image and zoom in.)Screenshot_20230428_094352_Gallery.thumb.jpg.54d47589de5c2be8fe77efe8e2b3e1ed.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094401_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f858b2d16d004b02329aa182b94e842f.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094428_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f236ed986a6271bd63cda1779fdccd74.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094439_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e58665cf5815125800a15a32ce590942.jpgScreenshot_20230428_094443_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d54c6d9a1719b923aed769ca197d08de.jpg

Screenshot_20230428_094424_Gallery.jpg

Looks nice. Haven’t seen anything announced about that before. I bet some will be disappointed about the skate park being gone. 

On 4/29/2023 at 10:54 AM, TheKernel91 said:

I hope it is. That area have so much potential. I noticed that vacant lots in that neighborhood and even as far as the Glenview neighborhood where I have a grandparent living, is getting new homes built on them. Says alot about the value of land now. 

I can't wait until some plans are made for the old Lamar theater and the buildings nearby it.

I drove through there recently and was noticing how many good buildings there are for redevelopment. Especially the Lamar Theater. 

13 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Looks nice. Haven’t seen anything announced about that before. I bet some will be disappointed about the skate park being gone. 

I drove through there recently and was noticing how many good buildings there are for redevelopment. Especially the Lamar Theater. 

Yea, so about 2021 I remember seeing this was announced. Nothing much emerged since. So I figured planning stages are still going. When I saw the board in that home, I was happy to see that it looks to still be going along. I cant find anything online about "The Roost District"

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/article/21726/mixed-use-development-may-transform-lamar-block-rozelle-annesdale

Now I do believe something will come to that corner where the old Lamr theater is at. It'll take more time and belief.

There's a photographer who have a social gallery across from the theater at 1730 Lamar Ave.  It looks nice inside. Need more businesses to come to that area like that. Here's the IG page. https://instagram.com/taschesogal?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by TheKernel91

24 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

Yea, so about 2021 I remember seeing this was announced. Nothing much emerged since. So I figured planning stages are still going. When I saw the board in that home, I was happy to see that it looks to still be going along. I cant find anything online about "The Roost District"

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/article/21726/mixed-use-development-may-transform-lamar-block-rozelle-annesdale

Now I do believe something will come to that corner where the old Lamr theater is at. It'll take more time and belief.

There's a photographer who have a social gallery across from the theater at 1730 Lamar Ave.  It looks nice inside. Need more businesses to come to that area like that. Here's the IG page. https://instagram.com/taschesogal?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Nice memory from 2 years ago!

• Like 1

Bill Townsend has purchased the Annesdale mansion.  Now he owns that, Luciann Theater, Lowenstein Mansion, Pillow-McIntyre House, and the Masonic Temple.  

Plans to add some townhomes to the property, but wants to keep all the trees possible, and keep the character of the property.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/35930/bill-townsend-buys-annesdale-mansion-memphis-real-estate?utm_source=trending_now&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=trending_now

<strong>Memphian Bill Townsend has bought Annesdale Mansion and plans to develop it in a way that connects the property to the rest of the Snowden-Annesdale neighborhood.&nbsp;</strong>(Mark Weber/The Daily Memphian file)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Interesting - another office building proposed for mixed-use/heavy residential:

Midtown landmark could switch from office to apartments

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/36624/memphis-1331-union-avenue-blue-dog-building-apartment-plan

image.png.68e2b74da337ac111d75f67f1884203f.png

A development team hopes to convert the 15-story office building at 1331 Union Ave. — known for its prominent prints of George Rodrigue’s blue dogs — into a commercial mixed-use property. 

Doing business as Union Crown Memphis, the team has submitted an application to the Downtown Memphis Commission’s Center City Revenue Finance Corp. for a 12-year PILOT to transform the Memphis landmark into 181 apartment units.

Built in 1965, the building includes 400 parking spaces in a four-story garage and 156,342 square feet of leasable office space in the 10 floors above.

Although the building is partially occupied, several of the office floors have been entirely vacant for many years, and the building’s condition is deteriorating, the DMC noted in its staff report of the project. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

Interesting - another office building proposed for mixed-use/heavy residential:

Midtown landmark could switch from office to apartments

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/36624/memphis-1331-union-avenue-blue-dog-building-apartment-plan

image.png.68e2b74da337ac111d75f67f1884203f.png

Might be for the best.  Article says several floors are completely empty.  Overall, this could probably work fine for residential.  Looks much more residentially than the Morgan Keegan tower.  Plus they say they will add new ground floor retail.  Should liven the area up.

Interestingly, I had someone tell me a story about this building years ago.  The story was - the person that owned the building had a young daughter.  They drove by the building every day together, and the daughter was impressed with the size of the building, and loved the round part on the top.  Her father never said anything and she had no idea that he owned it.  Then one day, when she was 18, they were driving by, and the father said "Hey, you know that building there that you've always liked, I actually own it, and there's an apartment for you on the top floor to move in to after you graduate."    No idea if there's any truth to it or not.  

• Like 2

With talk of commercial/office space looking to take a step back, this is great. There are plenty of articles in the MBJ about remote work and offices being mostly empty, so this conversation makes sense. I hope they spruce up the exterior colors. Isn’t there supposed to be something built south of there too?

If anyone remembers, the circular part used to be a dance club in the 80s.