Can Florida Survive Climate Change?

spenser1058

Interesting article from Bloomberg that suggests we can survive climate change but it will require better buildings. "They don't build 'em like they used to," but maybe they should:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-20/are-miami-beach-s-luxury-towers-the-future-of-climate-resilience?cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

• 5 months later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Columbia University published a study about property-loss due to climate change.  The following figures - for local beaches - represent estimated property-loss since 2005. 

St. Augustine:  $79.8 million 

Merritt Island:  $26.2 m

NSB:  $13.8 m 

Flagler Beach:  $13.4 m 

Ormond Beach:  $6.0 m

Cocoa Beach:  $5.6 m

Port Orange:  $4.7 m

S. Daytona:  $4.4 m

Crescent Beach:  $4.1 m

Daytona:  $2.9 m

Mims:  $2.7 m

Palm Coast:  $1.4 m

Satellite Beach:  $1.2 m

Holly Hill:  $1.1 m 

S. Patrick Shores: $1.1 m

Also, inland Sanford has lost $3.8 m to Lake Monroe 

The figures are small compared to the worst-hit areas:

Miami Beach:  $337 million 

Hollywood: $300 m

St. Pete Beach:  243 m 

Ft. Lauderdale:  $194 m

Jax lost $146 million, while Tampa lost $76m.

The sea level rise is actually accelerating.  Daytona Beach (at the seaside Hilton) will experience 5.9 inches of sea-level rise within 15 years. 

11 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Columbia University published a study about property-loss due to climate change.  The following figures - for local beaches - represent estimated property-loss since 2005. 

The sea level rise is actually accelerating.  Daytona Beach (at the seaside Hilton) will experience 5.9 inches of sea-level rise within 15 years. 

are they talking about hurricane and surge damage on the coast in Volusia communities, but the rising Halifax River ala South Daytona Port Orange and Holly Hill??

42 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

are they talking about hurricane and surge damage on the coast in Volusia communities, but the rising Halifax River ala South Daytona Port Orange and Holly Hill??

That is a good question about the Halifax.  The study doesn't differentiate between inland and coastal flooding.  There is an Excel spreadsheet with the top 250 worst-hit areas in the SE.  I picked out the local ones. 

Does Port Orange have a beach?  I've driven through there bunches of times to get to Ponce Inlet (my sleeper choice for best Atlantic beach in FL).  I've never considered if Port Orange has a beach of its own.

9 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

That is a good question about the Halifax.  The study doesn't differentiate between inland and coastal flooding.  There is an Excel spreadsheet with the top 250 worst-hit areas in the SE.  I picked out the local ones. 

Does Port Orange have a beach?  I've driven through there bunches of times to get to Ponce Inlet (my sleeper choice for best Atlantic beach in FL).  I've never considered if Port Orange has a beach of its own.

I don't think so.  I think the City owns the Dunlawton Bridge and some land where it hits the beachside, but I don't think any of their land extends down to A1A.  I think it's DBS and Wilbur By The Sea solely en route to Ponce.

16 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Yeah, is there any link to source of this and the methodology to determine what is climate change related? Places like Miami Beach have long had flooding issues from early development there... It always annoys me when the media presents pictures of Miami Beach's King Tides, which are a naturally occurring, predictable event that has always been occurring and has nothing to do with climate change. For many of these areas, rapid growth and removal of impervious areas with poorly done  and inadequate drainage systems is another huge cause of flooding and property damage, but isn't caused by climate change.

While there is no doubt humans are having some impact on the environment and we should strive to minimize it, it does greatly annoy me when things are incorrectly attributed to it, like Miami's King Tides, and just gives deniers something to point to.

Archived