Park Theater

GrSportsGuy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed last Thursday that the roof in the front was collapsed and it was surrounded with caution tape.  Since it was for sale I was hoping it was sold and someone was remodeling it. On Wealthy Street it would be just your typical rehab job.  I was thinking about posting something here to see if anyone knew what was going on but obviously I didn’t

Surprised you knew it had been a theater.  Never went there but when I was a kid my father would   sometimes take me to a barbershop across the street and I’d see it.  It was still operating back then but I think only on week-ends.  Movie theaters seemed glamorous to me back then.  This area hadn’t been annexed to Grand Rapids back then and as you headed north there was a sign on Monroe at three mile just past the border to Grand Rapids at the old soldiers home  that read “North Park unincorporated.”  Always remember that because I didn’t know what unincorporated meant.  

Can’t find an image of it when it was actually a theatre but here is a short article about it from the historical commission: 
North Park Theater

Here’s another from the waterwinterwonderland site:

more about the theater

31 minutes ago, walker said:

I noticed last Thursday that the roof in the front was collapsed and it was surrounded with caution tape.  Since it was for sale I was hoping it was sold and someone was remodeling it. On Wealthy Street it would be just your typical rehab job.  I was thinking about posting something here to see if anyone knew what was going on but obviously I didn’t

Surprised you knew it had been a theater.  Never went there but when I was a kid my father would   sometimes take me to a barbershop across the street and I’d see it.  It was still operating back then but I think only on week-ends.  Movie theaters seemed glamorous to me back then.  This area hadn’t been annexed to Grand Rapids back then and as you headed north there was a sign on Monroe at three mile just past the border to Grand Rapids at the old soldiers home  that read “North Park unincorporated.”  Always remember that because I didn’t know what unincorporated meant.  

Can’t find an image of it when it was actually a theatre but here is a short article about it from the historical commission: 
North Park Theater

more about the theater

As of October it was in the process of being torn down due to structure failures.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:52 AM, walker said:

North Park Theater

more about the theater

I live close by and some of the older neighbors mentioned it. I'll see if any of them have some photos.

Archived